Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Handbrake turns in a Subaru Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 11:01 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Even without the car in neutral or the clutch disengaged, the gears in the differentials will still be moving and still be effected if you suddenly stop the rear tires and the front wheels keep moving, especially the rear differentials. There is a reason why the Rally cars have specially designed emergency brakes that compensate for these problems...
Old 01-12-2003, 11:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '03 WRX Sedan
My God. This is, by far, the dumbest post I have read in a while.

"it seems like there are a thousand times every time I go out driving at night that this would be a very useful maneuver."

When is it useful to pull the e-brake on a turn? Do you wanna be a drift king on your local streets?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:01 AM

E-brake turns will damage your drivetrain no matter what type of transmission you have. The AWD system automatically transfers power from the wheels that slip to the wheels that grip. It does this by sensing the speed of each wheel. If the rear wheels stop spinning when you pull the e-brake, the car will think the front wheels are spinning with little or no traction and will try to transfer power to the rear. When the power has nowhere to go, your center diff (or clutch pack on an auto) will absorb all that torque and go KABOOM! You cannot do e-brake turns in a Subaru without causing damage. Sure, I know some guys have done it plenty of times and claim they have no problems. Ask them again in 50,000 miles if their center or rear diffs have been replaced yet and how much it cost for a few 2-second thrill rides.

Oh, and there is no real use for e-brake turns on public roads unless you are involved in law enforcement. Period.

End rant.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
Stock center diff is weak enough, it will stress the driverain but it won't break it.
Even if you have a aftermarket strong diff, it will be fine.
In that case, the front tires will lock as well (car will skid) and the stress escape from there.
Haven't heard anybody breaking diff from pulling e-brake in autocross or rally.
Not sure how it works with auto though...