Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Going to get a brand new wrx need advice for break in period

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 06:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP 04 AW WRX/ 05 CGM STI/ 13 SWP STI
Question Going to get a brand new wrx need advice for break in period

Well going to get a brand new wrx on April 14, and im getting my wrx at las vegas because my parents live down their and said it was cheaper down their. But i live at san francisco, would it be possible to drive the car from las vegas to san francisco with out messing the engine up.... OR will the engine have future problems if i bring the car to san francisco without putting a 1000 miles to the car? PLease help asap also which car to get too 2003 or 2004??????????? thanks alot.....
Old 04-02-2003, 09:12 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by j.reed
Less any registration problems, if you keep the RPMs under 4000 as per the owners manual, and take a break every X miles to let the engie cool and settle completly, you should be fine.
Not exactly true. It is as important to vary the rpm's as it is to keep the revs under 4K. Letting your car run at a constant rpm (like on I5) is not good for a new engine. If you must buy your car in LV, plan several extra hours for the trip home and get off the freeway every half hour or so. It would also be a good idea to shift from 5th to 4th every few minutes and to vary your speed.

If you haven't already committed to a deal in LV, shop around locally to see how much you're really saving. Gas ain't cheap right now...I'm not sure how many miles it is to LV from SF in a car (I've always flown ), but you're probably going to spend a few hundred bucks on gas.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:24 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by BluWrX.03
Damnit! I asked my dealer about the break in period and those idiots told me "keep it under 4500 rpm for the first thousand, then under 5000 rpms for the next 500 miles." Please tell me that you are wrong.
If it so happens that you are right, do you think my break 'technique' has made my wrx less.....anything?
Dude,
read your manual and be skeptical of anything a car salesman tells you!
One reason it is important to "break in" a new engine is so that the rings will properly seat. The rings go around your pistons which come into contact with your cylinder wall. They seal the combustion chamber. If they do not properly seat, oil can "blow by" the rings, into the combustion chamber. If this happens, the only way to fix it is to rebuild the engine. It will still operate, but it will require topping off of the oil in between changes and it will gunk up your cats.
The good news: there is a lot of debate on the proper way to seat rings, and I think if you kept it under 4.5k and varied the rpm's you should be just fine. Some people (especially sport bike tuners) feel the best way to wear in an engine is to do several quick and hard runs up to red line, after the oil is at operating temperature, of course.