Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Fuel? With prices what they are and climbing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:21 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Don't do it. If you really want to save money, stay off boost. If you really, really, really NEED to the money, sell you WRX, buy a Civic or Tercel and put the money you made into oil stocks.

I had a Saab turbo designed for premium fuel and experimented with various grades of gas. I found that I was better off financially to pay extra per gallon and put the good stuff in. Not only did the car run much better, it got enough more miles to the gallon that I was better off.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:52 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by X1_SRT
i guess i'm lucky to have 93 everywhere in the Northeast. NH has Sunoco w/ 97. also the area in which my friend lives in ny has two grades above 93. when i was there last it was running about $2 for 97. that was a few months ago though. the gas in some parts, mostly southern, maine has MTBE. its some additive that is suppose to be cleaner. but it also lowers your octane. whats CA's reason for 91 oct.?

-PJ
We're phasing out MTBE in CA. It's put in the gas as an oxygenate (I think?). A little ehtanol will do the same thing, but evidently MTBE is a by-product of refining oil and the refineries lobbied to have it put in the gas here. MTBE is a very small molecule which means it can slip through rocks and such to wind up in the water table. Not good. So now we pay extra for gas because of the oil refineries lobbying efforts. Confused yet?

I wouldn't call them environmentalist whackos, I'd call them ignorant hypocrites.