Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Foot slipped off the clutch, now the car is having issues....

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:02 AM

Car Info: 07 WRX WRB
Unhappy Foot slipped off the clutch, now the car is having issues....

So it was raining the other day and I went out and started my car. I push in the clutch, start the car, pull the e-brake up (as I was going to sit there a minute to write a note in my schedule book), and was about to take the car out of gear, but before I can do this, my foot slips off the clutch pedal due to my dress shoes and all the rain. Well, as one would expect, the car lurches violently forward(but not too much as the damn e-brake is on), and makes a metal banging sound underneath/towards the rear of the car. It felt like someone hit me.....it was so damn horrible.

Now as far as tranny/drivetrain mods, I have an aluminun pitch stop, STi tranny mount, Kartboy tranny crossmember mounts, and Kartboy rear differential outrigger/support bushings(Hard).

The last day and a half, I have been getting: a good bit more vibration than usual, groans/increase noise from the drivetrain(tranny and engine area) , more lash/play in the drivetrain during on/off throttle applications, clunking from the rear(which was not there with the above mods before my foot slipped), the whole car just feels more loose/sloppy. It really is starting to feel bad and everything seems to be getting worse. I started my car this morning to go to work and when I let the clutch up, I could feel a shudder/groan go through the car/drivetrain.

The car only has 4,000 miles on it. This situation has really scared me.....and really left me with a hopeless feeing. I have had some really crappy luck with my WRX's in the past (some because of my own doing, some out of thin air) and I had been so carefull with this car as I wanted to keep it for years and years. I have been so carefull, and then some something as simple as starting my car while wearing slippery dress shoes in the rain goes and takes it all away......How could just one simple instance do damage? The rpm's could not have been more than 1,000 in neutral, as I had just driven the car not long before, so I would not have required any real time for the oil/car to warm up.

I looked under it briefly last night and did not find anything wrong. I even took off the Kartboy rear diff support bushing to see if it helped, but this just made the drivetrain lash more severe, so I put them back on. I am going to change the oil tonight and will go through every inch of the car that I can see while I am under there, front and back.

I don't know why I can't be allowed to be happy driving the car I have always wanted and continue to be passionate around.....

Any thoughts......

Last edited by SilverSubaab; 11-29-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 2007 STI
ehhh?? i dont really get what is wrong? u just basically stalled while you were parked? and now your sayin that your car is making noises.. ?? the whole stalling ur car in park doesnt sound bad though-
Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 AM

It wasn't even so much that I simply stalled the car while trying to get moving or anything. I basically side-stepped the clutch accidentally while the E-Brake was fully engaged with the rpm's at about 1,000. With the little drivetrain mods I have done, there was no real "wiggle-room" or give/softness for the power to be dispersed to.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 2006 SRR 2.5i
Thats why I always push the clutch in and put the car in neutral before turning the key. Sorry to hear about the problems though, wish I could help.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:53 PM

I got under the car tonight. I checked everything I could, all the bolts on the tranny mount area, tranny mount, checked the engine mounts using a telescoping mirror - nothing that looked damaged, just the black paint falling off around some of the areas (engine and tranny mounts had this). I checked the rear and found nothing loose, nothing odd.

I then started the car and brought the rpms up and down to about 3,000 and the engine did not really move much, hardly at all. However, while doing that, I could feel a good bit of vibration/movement from the back of the car. I have never noticed such a dramatic amount of vibration and movement in the back from just doing this parked in neutral. I could stand outside the with my foot stretched out for the gas, put my hand on the side of the car and feel the car jumping around(when giving it some gas). This is odd. I took out the Kartboy rear differential outrigger/support bushings and I might try to take it to the dealership on Saturday, but I really don't want to.....
Old 12-06-2007, 12:21 PM

you got to be kidding me !!!!!!...you need to get off that crack pipe brah !!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 02:55 PM

Car Info: subaru WRX TR 06
sounds like you have some rear end probs. I would get that checked out soon you could really do some damage...
Old 12-10-2007, 02:10 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
dealership

put everything back to stock and go to the stealership for warranty work?
Old 12-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Car Info: 2001RSTI
First rule of thumb. Start the car in neutral!!! Second, never step on and hold in the clutch even when waiting at a stop light. Youll just wear out the Throw out bearing. The clutch pedal should only be used to engage/disengage the clutch when shifting. OTherwise ur foot needs to be on the footrest.

Vibration could be from something as simple as a damaged engine/trans mount to something really bad like damaged internals. you shouldnt have any warranty issues if you dont mention the upgrades. Take off anything that doesnt look stock. (outrigger bushing/pitch stopper) Just tell the dealer whats wrong and your warranty should cover it. I doubt theyll even ask you what happened. if they do just say u stalled the car when ur foot slipped off the clutch and now this. SOA will pay for parts and labor so they wont care.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:19 PM

Hopefully nothing serious is wrong. I've had this happen to me in other cars (fwd/rwd), but never really thought about all the strain it could put on an AWD car. Reminds me that these "sport" pedals really suck when glazed over a bit with water.