Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

failed inspection - need new tires - help

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:58 AM

well...

what kind of car do you have? besides a subaru...hehe.

Secondly, I have a WRX wagon, and I just put Dunlop SP 5000's on all fours, and they are great. Others may recommend Mich. Pilot series, but those are fairly expensive. Some like Sumitomo's, Falken's, Kumho's, etc. etc. I would not recommend certain pirelli's cause they wear very quickly..almost as qiuckly as the RE92's.

Thirdly, depends on what you are looking for in a tire, but I would NOT recommend using Bridgestone Potenza RE92's on the car again. They have *suck* written all over them. If it's an all season (for snow covered areas) then go with something that has an M+S rating on the tires. Otherwise, there are tons of choices. Check TireRack.com or other places for comparisons/reviews.

Hope it helps,
i.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Step 1: Determine your needs. If you see much snow where you live, you should consider a dedicated set of winter tires/rims. If you see snow very little, but still have to drive in it once in a great while, shop for all seasons. If not, you can go with summer tires which will give much better grip than all-seasons.

My current summer tires are Yokohama AVS Intermediates, the "over the hill" brother of the jriggs set up. I paid $225 for a set of four shipped from the tire rack and they grip much, much better than the stock RE92's. They will wear very quickly too, but for the small amount of money I paid, that is acceptable to me.

Browse the tire forum for much more discussion on the merits of various types and brands of tires. Consider the fact that you were happy with the stock set up when reading the opinions of others. You will likely be happy with a tire which many consider sub-par in grip, but may last a lot longer for you.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:06 PM

either or will suffice. I have also heard good reviews about the KDWS's, but the place I bought my tires from did not have them. Thus, I went with the Dunlops. I might have to try the KDWS's the next time around, once the dunlops have had their tread worn to the wear indicators.

I was also curious when you said you have an S2000 -- what kinda tires are you running on that machine? Given the two vehicles, I would suppose that you knew a little more about tires...? But hey, to each their own...and again, either tires are good...just depends on your "driving style." Neither the Dunlops OR the KDWS's have tread wear warranties (IIRC), so either is probably a good choice for the northeast.

Good luck...
i.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:35 PM

simple and honest answer...

I don't know. I have only had the Dunlops on for about 1000 miles.

I assume to at least get about 30K - 40K from them, but then again, it all varies on how hard you drive the car. Higher speeds tend to equate into more frequent tire changes. Then again, I have not driven at tracks/auto-x yet, so daily driving, I at least hope to get 30 - 40 K. I got 31K from the RE92's, but they felt scary after the first 15K on them, when taking corners at increased speed.

lemme know how it works out for ya...especially if you do take the KDWS route. I may have them in mind, for the future, unless of course there are better tires out, at that point in time.

later,
i.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by michaelr
I live in Hershey PA. ... use the S2000 if it is top-down weather.
So...instead of winter tires/summer tires you have winter car/summer car. I like it!
Pilot Sport A/S are supposed to be really good all around tires, but expensive. I use Nokian NRW's (all-season) in the winter for trips to Tahoe and I've been happy with them, although they (obviously) lack the dry grip of my Yoko's.