Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

engineers, car gurus, welders and anyone inclined on spot welding...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 08:19 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
engineers, car gurus, welders and anyone inclined on spot welding...

if i were (and i stress IF) to spot weld(or seam) as shown in pic below...
just exactly how much more of a stiff ride would i experience.... and since the factory chasis/frame is not as "tuff" as a rally setup does that mean it flexes a lil bit?
Name:  b6.jpg
Views: 4089
Size:  51.9 KB

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*

Last edited by gdogg; 07-13-2005 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:56 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
If you go through and seam weld you car it will be stiffer jsut not sure if you would actually feel it I am sure the car will creak and squeak more just due to the fact that there will be little to no chassis flex. I was thinkning about doing it when I get back to the mainland it will be a lot of work.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Greg, I don't have much of worth to add. IMO, unless you ask not only a welding guru, but a racecar design guru, you won't find your answer...unless you just do it yourself.

My only reservation in doing modifications such as that would be cost:benefit, physics, and priority. That's speaking personally.

Cost-to-benefit is obviously, the price of labor, the price of sacrificing this over another modification, the price of preparing your car for doing something such as that. IMO, I'd think you'd get nearly the same benefit, plus, by installing a roll cage.

Physics. When you strengthen one area, you transfer additional forces to another area. It's like the economics of the physics of your car.

Priority. Similar to cost benefit, to use an example, if you were invited to race in the Indy 500 and you had was a Yugo and you had only enough money for one of the two following options, would you opt for tires, suspension, and chassis stiffening first or would you opt for a 351 Windsor with a turbo? Don't get me wrong, I'm not denigrating your idea at all. All I'm saying is is there another modification that would net you greater pay-off than spot welding strategic parts of your car?

HTH.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
Originally Posted by gpatmac
Cost-to-benefit is obviously, the price of labor, the price of sacrificing this over another modification, the price of preparing your car for doing something such as that. IMO, I'd think you'd get nearly the same benefit, plus, by installing a roll cage.
word

Physics. When you strengthen one area, you transfer additional forces to another area.
This my cause energy to move other things that don't flex as well...like glass.
Old 04-10-2005, 11:47 PM

Car Info: Silver 02 impreza RS
nice welds!!! Most likely TIG.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:00 AM

i've always wondered about toying with the idea... once we get our minivan- that leaves us with 2 subies... which means one of em is gonna become a major project. not that i'd ever need a full on setup like that.... but i've never done it before and most definitely would like to try it someday- grant if i can justify it economically.

pat, i was thinking the same thing in terms of physics.... beef up one area possibly weaken another- thats why i wouldn't mind taking a trip and meeting up with some of these guys to see just exactly what it takes.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:45 PM

IMO, I'd think you'd get nearly the same benefit, plus, by installing a roll cage.
you have to admit that this is one crazy roll cage- - -
Name:  b28.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  46.5 KB
if i ever do get into rally, and i needed a cage. i'd definitely sport one like this. just might save my life one day.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:51 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
^
l
l
That's a good pic!
Old 04-11-2005, 08:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
My goal is to oneday buy something like a Corvair or Pinto, etc.. and fully gut it and stiffen the crap out of it, then build and install a rollcage on my own. Maybe an RX7 or an Impreza L swap. You get my drift.

I can't imagine being able to do that to a car that costs more than $1-2k.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:24 PM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
Originally Posted by 808imprezaRS
thats actually MIG welded...you can tell by the smoke (what looks like dirt) left around the weld bead. also, some weld splatter here and there, mostely in the top right hand corner. TIG welding doesnt create smoke or splatter.

TIG welding that would take alot longer. nicer/cleaner but hella longer.

also. when you weld anything (using any process) there will be some kind of distortion in the metal, especialy with thin material. thats prolly why he only stitch welded that and not fully welded it.

as stated earlier...stiffening up one thing will inturn flex or even brake another. unless you stiff up your entire car IMHO.

just a heads up.... oh and if you got a MIG welder. i'll weld it for you if you want. that picture alone will take about 10-15min tops. (cosidering you got the car up and all apart already shoot me a PM if interested

peace
-ROB
Old 04-12-2005, 12:39 AM

I'm planing on stitch welding the seams in my corolla as well. Maybe we could team up and do them together? I think Pat is dead on on the physics of things, but I have never seen a seam welded car minus full cage. They work hand in hand to make the suspention work to its full potential. From what I understand, seam welding also nullfies the cars engineered in crumple zones, so don't hit anything.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by boloheadrat
I'm planing on stitch welding the seams in my corolla as well. Maybe we could team up and do them together? I think Pat is dead on on the physics of things, but I have never seen a seam welded car minus full cage. They work hand in hand to make the suspention work to its full potential. From what I understand, seam welding also nullfies the cars engineered in crumple zones, so don't hit anything.
ryan would you mind giving me a call when you do it? i'd really like to see exactly what it takes. and yeah, i figured with a chasis as stiff as that i'm not going back on the street.
I can't imagine being able to do that to a car that costs more than $1-2k.
actually, after i get my wife her honda odyssey, i'm using the wagon as a "project". before he left jeff(jeffildy) and i were discussing about getting our wagons into rallycross, and possibly one day into an actual rally. i figure our wrx wagon is almost paid off and its almost got 50,000 miles- i couldn't imagine doing this much to my sti... i think i'm satisfied with it being a daily driver.- at this point i don't see this happening for at least a year from now- unless some major changes happen before then.

Last edited by gdogg; 04-12-2005 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by boloheadrat
bump... did you start on this yet? or did i miss it?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:25 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Originally Posted by 808imprezaRS
you mean mig

Last edited by houdni; 07-13-2005 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Looks good. A fab shop in the Bay Area was gonna seam weld my '80 Celica for me, but he had to move shops and ran out of time. The car has a few broken spot welds (BTW G - spot welds are the little 'spots' where your car is welded on the chassis, what you are talking about, and that pic, is seam welding) plus since it's so old it's starting to handle like a mattress, creaking all over. I plan to learn to weld as soon as I can, and do it myself. Already had the interior out a few times...

When you seam weld it is very important to do it just like the pic so there is still "some" flex in the car. Otherwise you will start to break stuff. True, a cage will help the most (weld in) with flex, but you have the added weight and interference of the cage itself while you don't have that with seam welding and additional stiffeners. A great idea, but here there is added work in making SURE you rustproof after.

Quick Reply: engineers, car gurus, welders and anyone inclined on spot welding...