Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

engine blown... options??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Originally Posted by nerd
Go With Gst!!!!!!
smart man.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:59 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by dm21qr3
ive been asking around and ive heard some really good things about LIC, how do you guys feel about them vs GST??
I would take my car to LIC first as they do swaps all the time and know more about subies than anyone.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:03 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Hit up LIC. Top notch service for the car and the customer.
Old 02-17-2008, 10:42 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
yeah so this afternoon i took the car out on the freeway and it died for good after about 20 miles on hwy 4... i was trying to get the car smogged before it completely crapped out!

anyhow im confident the previous owner couldnt have known about something like this happening-- and im not sure that i would blame it on vishnu either... after all the car did have 140k miles on an original, non rebuilt motor. i guess its just part of the game.

ive been asking around and ive heard some really good things about LIC, how do you guys feel about them vs GST??
Hmmm... You are going to need to call both shops and see who can fit you in. I am not sure where you are located, but I think you also need to take into consideration that you have a blown motor and that you want to get the car to a shop in a safe manner.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
ehh, im pretty sure im not going to do any more engine mods then i already have on there (upgraded turbo, intercooler, exhaust). was planning on saving up for some brembos but it looks like thats going to have to wait now for sure. will the ej25 be compatible with the mods that i already have on there? do you think its any more durable than a 2.0 engine??
what type of upgraded turbo? I just got a 2.5 shortblock, and now my turbo is too small. So much back pressure, I can't make any power. Just got tuned with 248 awhp, 274 awt. Now if only I had money for something like an 18g....
Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Hit up LIC. Top notch service for the car and the customer.
seems like both shops are fairly legit and have quite the following on the forums... i guess i just need to call both and get quotes to see around what prices im looking at.

Originally Posted by darkonion
Hmmm... You are going to need to call both shops and see who can fit you in. I am not sure where you are located, but I think you also need to take into consideration that you have a blown motor and that you want to get the car to a shop in a safe manner.
im located in el sobrante (east bay), but i got the car towed to a safe street location in concord after it died, since i only have 5 miles of towing through AAA. in either case i will be getting my car towed to whichever shop i end up choosing-- seems like both are about equal distance from my place.

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
what type of upgraded turbo? I just got a 2.5 shortblock, and now my turbo is too small. So much back pressure, I can't make any power. Just got tuned with 248 awhp, 274 awt. Now if only I had money for something like an 18g....
i have a vf30 turbo, since its stock on the STi i dont see how it would be a problem on a 2.5 block, but its definitely something ill keep in mind when making my decisions.

any further advice is much appreciated!!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:01 AM

Well, LIC is great, but I heard they aren't doing conversions anymore or something...

anyway, pretty much anyone can do a swap. Hell, get a decent tool set at Sears and borrow someone's cherry picker, and with a weekend you could swap an engine yourself (we've done it a couple times).

I always recommend GST because they have always treated me right, but pretty much any shop could do an engine swap.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:17 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx
LIC. I'm sure their short blocks won't have "vacuum leaks".
Old 02-18-2008, 08:33 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
vf30~
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 AM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Originally Posted by SubyN00by
hehe, I see two words that don't mix...

vishnu and reliable...
true that.. my friend has an 02 wrx with a vishnu stage zero piggy back, and he pulls CEL's all day long, high and low input and outputs on both 02 sensors, misfires on all cylinders,he had overboost codes when he had the MBC on it, but i pulled that off. i dont think i trust vishnu with that many Check Engine Lights!
Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 AM

I bought a car with a vishnu tune, didn't last me more than 10k miles from when I bought it...
Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/573891871.html

This is your best bet.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:44 AM

hmmm, I dunno about the 30 lbs of boost statement, but looks to be like a cool deal...
Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
yeah so this afternoon i took the car out on the freeway and it died for good after about 20 miles on hwy 4... i was trying to get the car smogged before it completely crapped out!

anyhow im confident the previous owner couldnt have known about something like this happening-- and im not sure that i would blame it on vishnu either... after all the car did have 140k miles on an original, non rebuilt motor. i guess its just part of the game. ive been asking around and ive heard some really good things about LIC, how do you guys feel about them vs DST??
Sorry to hear. Though you wouldnt have been able to pass smog with all those mods anyways, a VF30, up-pipe and pink injectors wont get you past smog even if you put the stock exhaust back on, and the seller should have smogged the car before it was sold so Im not sure what thats all about.

And people can say what they want about shiv, but a wrx lasting 140K on a stage 2 before it finally let got is completely amazing. And seeing as its a VF30 with unichip(both old school) Im sure it got done pretty early in its life, you really cant ask for much more out of a car putting out nearly 100whp over stock for 140K miles, just to bad it had to happen as soon as you got it, but when you get a car with that many miles with those mods you gotta know its living on borrowed time

as far as that used 2 liter, "30psi ready", yeah lol
First off, its a used 10+ year old block that has gone through at least 3 hands, and JDM motors ALWAYS seem to have only 30K miles on them when people sell them. If it really is a JDM STI shortblock, they are a tougher than WRX blocks, but no better than the new 2.5 STI blocks except for the forged pistons. And NO subaru motor is 30PSI ready, c'mon .
You can still get brand spankin new 2.5 liter STI shortblocks straight from Subaru for around 1700, which make more usable power on pump gas than a 2 liter anything, and you dont want to go through the trouble and expense of a motorswap to put a questionable used motor in there, thats just asking for trouble, especially when the brand new shortblocks are already relatively cheap.

Other than that keep all your other mods, you dont 'need' anything else, a VF30 would work fine on a 2.5, the heads dont need to be ported, though with 140K miles you will need a new valve job, and I dont see a better clutch on the list of the last guys mods so you need that too, and then all gaskets/belts/etc, yeah dont expect to come out of this for any less than half of what you paid for the car, I know you would like to do it on the cheap but theres just not too many places to cut corners there, even if you use all your old mods. LIC and GST both do great work, Ive got 100K+ miles on tunes from Mike on 5 different turbos and all ran like stock and made great power with no hiccups, ever.
Good luck!

Last edited by Krinkov; 02-18-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:04 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sedan
yeah the car doesnt have the unichip in there anymore, i believe the ecu was replaced with a newer vishnu one some time back. i will try to give those shops a call and keep the thread updated as new information comes in. for the price of one of those shortblocks im wondering if its not just worth it to go ahead and get a whole new EJ25 longblock, and then throw all those mods back on to the new engine. after checking prices i should be able to make a better decision on that one.

krinkov-- thanks for the kind words and all the advice i will definitely keep that stuff in mind going forward here.

i dont know how reliable the vishnu stuff was and whether or not it was the cause of the engines failure-- after all it did have 140k miles on it, so i guess this was something that i could have seen coming, it was just a surprise because of how seamlessly it had been running prior to failing.

Quick Reply: engine blown... options??