Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Driving above 3K RPMs -> engine wear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:28 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
You do know that the turbo doesnt engage until around 3000rpms right?

The engine will be fine. Rev the bajesus out of it if you want, unless you care about gas milage
Old 03-26-2003, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Revving a motor too little will do more damage than revving it too much. Said another way, if your engine is not making enough rpm for your road speed, you will be putting a lot of strain on it. Consider this example: If you are climbing a hill on a bike, do you want to be in a low gear or a high gear? Assuming you are somewhat fit, you will be spinning away in the low gear, but in the high gear you are going to be struggling and torturing your knees. Your engine bearings are akin to your knees in this example.

To sum up: don't be afraid to rev your car! In general, keep the revs above 2K. If you get caught below that in 2nd gear, *gently* accelerate until the revs build to minimize "lugging".

IMO, the most important thing to the longevity of this car (besides scheduled maintenance) is being smooth on the transmission.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:50 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
akordun, there's nothing to be gained by shifting into 1st in your car unless you are trying to squeeze that last .1 off your autocross score. Even then it's a major pain in the *** b/c the ratio is so far apart between 1st and 2nd. Just make sure you either come to a stop, downshift to 1st, or roll through w/ at least 1500 rpm in second. 2000 rpm is probably better.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by akordun
I'd love to shift into 1st to get higher RPMs, but it doesn't let me. Is it a safety thing on the transmission to not allow to downshift into 1st once you are already moving?
correct me if im wrong, but doesnt this have to do with the fact that there's no synchromesh going into 1st? At least, that was the case in my friends old Alpha, and you can get around that particular problem by double clutching. But, like BAN SUVS said, theres really not much to be gained, and you're putting lots of strain on parts unless you do it perfectly. Have to say though, I have double clutched into 1st once or twice and it was a bit satisfying.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
I don't think you need to rev to 6500 to shift into 4000 for normal driving. That's a fairly hard launch for daily driving. If nothing else, you're eating alot of gas *shrug*
Old 07-10-2004, 02:47 PM

Yeah, I shift at 3000 for good gas in the city, but half my commute is through country roads in the middle of nowhere with no driveways either. I redline every other day approx and always rev high daily at some time during the day. I run redline synthetic oil to give me some piece of mind too. You can shift in to first if you rev match the engine (meaning if you gas it while in neutral to the same rpm it would be in if it were in gear and slowly slip the clutch back in to the lower gear), but it is not easy or good to do for the tranny unless you are really good. I think the more you rev, the more you wear your engine, but not to to the point where you lose 50,000 miles of life. That is just a feeling though cause this is my first modded car. Plus when the engine goes you can stroke it or sleeve it and stuff
Old 07-10-2004, 07:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
Thats the way I look at it, breakage = excuse to buy upgrades!
Old 07-11-2004, 08:03 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB 4EAT VF34 Kit w/AP
Thats what the redline is for. To protect your engine. If your engine would get damaged going above 3k rpm, then that would have been the redline. Plus you have a rev limiter. Bounce it off of that a few times.

Quick Reply: Driving above 3K RPMs -> engine wear?