Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Does Subaru own, or in partnership with, any other manufacturers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 08:02 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by skeptic
I think GM (Pontiac, Cadillac, a few other cars here and there) makes much better looking vehicles than Subaru (and some ugly crap as well), and I can only hope they have more influence on Subaru styling in the future (just leave the drive train to Subaru, or even better, let the Subaru drive train influence GM).
Please keep GM stylists' mitts off of Subaru vehicles.

Look at the Chevy SSR - can you say porky pig? I liked and wanted to buy the GMC Syclone when it first came out. It had little hauling capacity, but sleeper looks, a broad torque band (very effective for drag racing with an automatic), and the ability to put it to the ground.

They've destroyed the C6 Corvette's front end. If only Larry Shinoda were alive today.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-25-2004, 05:56 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
The new Corvette doesnt have too many changes other than exterior ones. I think the new head lights will be much better, the pop up ones are the worst conceived invention ever. They are too prone to breakage.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:39 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
Originally posted by skeptic
Hmm.. We'll see. I think the C6 will be a beautiful car in person, and a needed change in design direction. Pop-up headlights are just so '90's.. As far as front ends go, consider the reaction to the '02 WRX when it first arrived. Ugly as a Neon was what I heard, read, and thought. Now I like it.
agreed
Old 02-29-2004, 10:10 AM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
Originally posted by skeptic
I don't know much about the upcoming Legacy. I do know the current GTP would slaughter the current Legacy (which is butt ugly), but who cares? Are they even in the same class? From what I saw, the '05 Legacy will have at most a 250hp/230ft-lbs engine. Doesn't sound GTP slaughtering to me, but again, who cares?
Just like the old addage "MHZ" isn't everything, power isn't everything either. Power delievery in balance with suspensin settings, along with chassis dynamics are what make for "slaughtering" While the GTP definately has more power, it is also slightly heavier, and i don't remember the last time when a midrange-non special model of a big 3 car bested a japanese car by much (i may be wrong, but that seems to be a recurring trend)

The legacy has a distinct advantage, which is a very low center of gravity and good lateral weight distribution.

But then again, bench-racing is for lame-os', the best way to find out is to pit one against the other

*no slaughtering in one way or another was implied
Old 03-05-2004, 09:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
20% of Subaru was owned by Nissan before. That's why you see lots of Nissan parts on Subaru. If you see some switches, it has Nissan stamp on it. lol. Rear diff is from Nissan parts bin too.
When Nissan went near bankrupt and joined with Renault, they sold all the share of Subaru to cash some money in.
GM took over that 20% of share of Subaru.
but the link between Subaru and GM is not as strong as GM and SAAB or OPEL.
If you go to www.gm.com
SAAB and OPEL is listed along with Chevy or Pontiac, but Subaru, Suzuki, Isuzu, and FIat is listed as "GM network" and not listed on front page.

Subaru benefits from this alliance by splitting the cost of future technology development, such as fuel cell vehicle technology.
Subaru is too small to develop fuel cell vehicle by its own.