Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Does Subaru own, or in partnership with, any other manufacturers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:09 PM

Car Info: 1997 impreza L
Question Does Subaru own, or in partnership with, any other manufacturers?

You know, like honda/acura and toyota/lexus. I didn't think so but someone just told me that they heard otherwise.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:01 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Acura has always been part of Honda, as Lexus has always been part of Toyota. They are just the upscale models in the corporate marketing strategy.

Subaru is partnered with GM and Saab. This creates some crossover marketing but not across entire product lines.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-24-2004, 09:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally posted by Wingless Wonder
Subaru is partnered with GM and Saab. This creates some crossover marketing but not across entire product lines.--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
This also creates some pretty cool new cars. I think the Saab 9-2 is really nice looking - you get all the power and handling of the WRX in a (IMO) better looking package with a much nicer looking interior (I really like the way Saab contrasts colors in their interiors).

Now, is paying $4k or $5k more for a slightly different body and leather interior worth it? I don't think so - but some will. My only issue with the Saab (through GM) partnership is the way I perceive the Saab community, which, by the way, is based on the attitude of many of the posters on their forums. I'll just say that they are very unhappy that a Subaru will tarnish the coolness (and low selling product line) of their beloved auto maker
Old 02-24-2004, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Legacy L 5-speed
subaru w/ GM....still makes me sad
Old 02-24-2004, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
The GM/Subaru link isn't too strong, but its strong enough for GM to throw its weight around from time to time.

GM owns 20% of Fuju Heavy Industries (Parent company of Subaru). This puts Subaru in "stragitic partnerships" with GMs asian partners (GM also owns 20% of Suzuki and 51% of Isuzu). Up until last year, Subaru and Isuzu co-owned a plant in Layfette, Indiana, but Isuzu sold its intrest to Subaru after failing to be profitable.

The 9-2X is obviously a WRX in Saab clothing, but also Chevrolet has released the Forester in India as its own.

There are also more rumors of Subaru building cars for various GM brands around the world.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
I think it's kinda funny that Subaru is doing all the work by giving up some of their models to GM. GM is doing basically nothing, and I hope Subaru stays that way, I do not want to see a chevyru or whatever.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 1997 impreza L
Has GM always owned a part of Fuju Heavy Industries and is there any GM influences in the impreza?
Old 02-24-2004, 12:25 PM
VIP Member

I think it was the early-mid 90s when GM bought 20% of FHI.

Subaru was really hurting about that time too. The cash from GM really helped spur Subarus re-growth.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:53 PM
VIP Member

Pontiacs are butt ugly. Even when the designers FINALLY dropped all that plastic cladding crap they still make bodies that look like ***.

I also wouldn't want a Pontiac motor in a Subaru - the boxer lay out is HOT. Sounds SO nice.
Old 02-24-2004, 06:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by nKoan
I think it was the early-mid 90s when GM bought 20% of FHI.

Subaru was really hurting about that time too. The cash from GM really helped spur Subarus re-growth.
True. I believe GM also has a huge say in what cars we get. I think they like to keep subaru on a short leash so the USDM doesn't get what other markets do...like the V limited, Spec C RA, Prodrive Sti etc.

I think they do this because they're somewhat affraid of how the market will turn 10yr down the road and they don't want to loose control. I believe they have that thought in the back of their mind that says the STi and other 4cyl supercars will take over the american muscle car like the corvette. That's why i think they're SLOWLY intoducing these new cars from subaru so they can monitor progress and sales. If my theory is correct then we'll be seeing these special edition cars in a couple years (hopfully sooner)

Why have subaru import these special edition STi's, Wrx's when they only hold ~20% of the stock? Meanwhile they own Chevy, Cadi, Hummer, etc etc etc and cut a much larger profit off the Vette.

Eric. Just my.02
Old 02-24-2004, 07:02 PM
VIP Member

Very interesting thoughts Eric. I hadn't thought of anything like that at all. Sounds very plausable, I guess only time will tell on weather or not this is correct.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:29 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by skeptic
Hmm.. I guess I'm still surprised when I hear Subaru owners call other cars ugly.
Don't forget that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

The boxer layout IS nice, and should be adopted by more people, but you can't deny the fact that the supercharged 3.8 liter V6 has more usable torque/hp than the WRX, especially in the low RPMs. I don't have dyno graphs but I'd bet it has more low end grunt than the STi as well. And with almost twice the displacement as the WRX I can only guess what the potential for the engine might be.

Don't get me wrong, I have my heart set on a WRX for many reasons, but I'm not so blinded that I can't see where other cars are better. In this example I think the GTP is a better looking car, with a much nicer interior, way more luxuries and goodies (HUD with stealth mode anyone?), drive by wire throttle, leather, and a better engine (at least in some ways). It's also FWD, 500 lbs heavier, larger overall, and over $28k, so I wouldn't buy it.

But something in between the two (as long as it isn't FWD) would be interesting.
You have to consider a few things with the WRX. When the WRX came out, it was supposed to be building on the rally heritage, which would explain its 2 liter, 4cyl displacement. Also, just because a certain engine has more displacement, that certainly doesn't make it better. If the WRX was a draq racer only, then displacement would be great, as would be the useable torque and hp. But don't forget that with extra displacement generally comes extra weight, and also the v6 might not fit in to the WRX. Either of these could cause modifications that would negatively affect the handling of the WRX.

The WRX and STi are such great cars, I don't know why you would want to chang them. I guess I'm trying to say that I'm not blind to other vehicles. Maybe I just look for different things than you in a car. I think the WRX is an excellent car, and modifying it only makes it stronger. Putting a V6 in it would sort of tarnish the car for me - an H6 would be more appropriate, and would also keep more with the current Subaru line.

I hope that the GM partnership only brings Subaru style goodness to their other lines, which, in my opinion are SERIOUSLY lacking. The only good vehicles to come out of GM are the Vettes and CTS-V (which uses the LS6). I dislike all of their other models, including the Saabs (excluding the 9-2).

I'm sure the GTP is a good car for it's intended market, however I would be more inclined to check out the Nissan or Subaru offerings (the new Legacy will slaughter the GTP in its class) before considering a purchase from one of the "big 3".

Quick Reply: Does Subaru own, or in partnership with, any other manufacturers?