Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Difficulty starting 2004 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 12:38 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Originally posted by 04blkWRX
Do you mean turn it to "On" for a few seconds or turn it past "on" but not quite to "start"?

Rock: yes, my cranking sounds normal too, not like the battery is dying. I was just speculating. I'd guess this has happened to me three or four times total in the five months I've owned the car and it doesn't seem to be weather related.
Sorry for never responding. For some reason I'm not getting e-mail notifications like I used to from I-club.

Anyhow, as you propably already figured out, yes....the last notch before it starts (you'll hear a sort of high pitch sound from the pump I believe).

- Kean
Old 11-25-2003, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
You can hear the fuel pump run for sure. I have not had any issues since I have been turning it to "On" for a few seconds and then cranking it over. It's just one of those quirks that you have to learn when getting a new car...

Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:10 AM

Deluxe....I will try this when i go home later today from work...i hope its nothing serious...it's kinda ridiculous for a new car...since i'm a newbie to suby's...i've owned honda's all my life and never encountered a situation like this...but hey its still a great car once you get it started!~!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:35 AM

I assume its the battery but I haven't had a chance to contact the dealership or replace the battery. I've heard the factory batteries aren't very good...
I thought the same thing and went out and bought a new battery that was maintenance free for my 03. I got the battery but before I installed it I thought I would see how the stock battery did in the cold front that was coming. It started up at -41F here in North Pole, AK. Granted I have the winterization kit, block heater, and battery warmer but still it doesnt get much harder to start than that and it started up as good as can be expected. At those temperatures you cant turn the ***** for the fan or to adjust the heat because they are frozen solid. The radio display lags about 5 seconds and the **** on the radio feels like its torqued in tight onto the stereo.

I decided to keep my stock battery, although im having trouble returning the other one since its been over a week. Not sure if im gonna replace it since I cant return it but had I known what I know now, I wouldnt have bought a new one in the first place.