Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Difficulty starting 2004 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 11:13 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
Angry Difficulty starting 2004 WRX

Greetings.

My 2004 WRX is only about 2 1/2 weeks old, and I have had two incidents where it was difficult to start. The car cranks normally, but does not fire. I cranked it for about 3 seconds and nothing. Cranked it again, and then it started.. ran a little rough and then was fine. It almost seemed like it was flooded. I did fill up with a new tank of gas the day it started happening & also washed it, but it ran great that whole day until the evening when the first incident happened. I was especially careful not to drown the engine bay with water, so I do not think it was anything with the washing. It just did it to me again today with the same symptoms when I ran out for lunch. I have about 800 miles on the car, and I am going to fill it with 94 afterwork to see if maybe it was the tank of gas (still half full). Anyone else had similar problems with their 04 WRX sedan? I did a search and did not find anything. I do not think I could replicate it right now if I were to take it back to the dealer. It is too intermittent.

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:18 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi
have it check on the delaership. You still have your warranty. = )
Old 11-17-2003, 03:50 PM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
I have had the same thing happen. I assume its the battery but I haven't had a chance to contact the dealership or replace the battery. I've heard the factory batteries aren't very good...
Old 11-17-2003, 03:55 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
When turning the key all of the way forward, try allowing a second or two just before you crank it over. Just before the car turns over you can hear the fuel pump working. I believe my problem was that I was trying to start the car too fast and the pump didn't have enough time to get fuel to the engine.

- Kean
Old 11-17-2003, 06:14 PM

Thanks Kean! haven't tried that, but I will give it a shot.

04blkwrx: It's not the battery... it cranks normally but it doesn't want to fire. It seems more fuel related than anything. Thanks for the post anyway. I will go back to the dealer if it doesn't clear up. It only started Saturday night, so we will see if it persists.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: silver MIAMI wrx in the bay area
Originally posted by Kean
When turning the key all of the way forward, try allowing a second or two just before you crank it over. Just before the car turns over you can hear the fuel pump working. I believe my problem was that I was trying to start the car too fast and the pump didn't have enough time to get fuel to the engine.

- Kean
i heard about that too or too rich in fuel.

eric.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX w/ JDM Spec C
yes u need to let the computer think
Old 11-18-2003, 04:51 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
When turning the key all of the way forward, try allowing a second or two just before you crank it over.

- Kean
Do you mean turn it to "On" for a few seconds or turn it past "on" but not quite to "start"?

Rock: yes, my cranking sounds normal too, not like the battery is dying. I was just speculating. I'd guess this has happened to me three or four times total in the five months I've owned the car and it doesn't seem to be weather related.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:44 AM

Car Info: Wagon
Hi
My 04 wagon had this particular problem 3 times since July. It seemed to happen every time I shut off the car without letting it idle long enough for everything to cool down. Since i've become really diligent about letting it ldle for a few minutes (jeez I really need that turbo timer) it hasn't happend agian.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:08 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!

- Kean
I started doing this about six months ago, and to my amazement, the car starts much more quickly every time! It takes about 2 seconds after the key is in the "on" position. You can actually hear the pump building pressure if you listen closely. It is about the same amount of time it takes for the radio to start working.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:42 PM

Thanks guys. I have been turning it to "on" and waiting for a few seconds before cranking it, and so far so good. Thanks for all of your help!
Old 11-24-2003, 06:56 AM

hears the scoop on letting the fuel pump run fully before start up.earlier cars (all makes)had fuel pressure held in the fuel lines up to the injectors even after the car is turned off.government regulations have changed making the fuel bleed back to the gas tank.this is done so that no fuel or vapor may escape into the air .if for some reason there is (however small or large)fuel leakage.if you check your owners manual,it gives you correct starting procedures and cold starting.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:30 PM

Car Info: Broken ass stock '02 WRX
i have had that same problem a few times, i always thought it was because the car was cold (it only did it when i was leaving work at about 9pm when it is fairly cold here in santa cruz)
Old 11-24-2003, 08:43 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
One nice thing about my VW -- when you open the passenger door, the fuel pump turns on just long enough to build up pressure, before you're even in the car. Nice trick, I wish Subaru would use it.

(Down side of the VW -- like everything else in it that will probably break any day now and cost about $600 to fix.)

Quick Reply: Difficulty starting 2004 WRX