Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

CONTEST: i-Club Logo!!! Create i-Club Logo & Get $300.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 02:37 PM
bxm

Car Info: stock USDM '02 WRX, no options, silver metallic
Originally posted by 420wrx
I agree with the copy argument. From my viewpoint, and lack of post-secondary graphics design training, it looks like he stole the font and the general layout..
My concept was to incorporate the name in the oval alongside the star. That was my general layout.
After designing my layout, I went thru all the fonts in my library and decided "Warning" worked best for the logotype. I didn't "steal" this font, it's very common and it's not his. If you're a designer, then you know that you don't just pick one font right off. I saw how "i-Club" looked in every font in my library(about 600) and decided the rounded corners of "Beware" works best with the oval and cornerless star in the logo. All the other rouned fonts were too long or cryptic. I'm not about to change it just because some people seem to be under the false impression that it's "his".
When it came time to fit in the additional text I wanted the logo to stand on it's own without it if need (like for decals), and the best way to do that was to fit it on top and bottom. How would you have incorporated it? There wasn't any other way that worked well.

I did the same thing with the tire logo, but I pointed out "I'm playing with YOUR design", instead of claiming that I came up with it all from scratch.
It's my design. The oval and star arrangement was the concept I worked with, I didnt just try to fit a graphic around someone else's design. If you want I can scan in my thumbs (primary conceptual sketches) out of my sketchbook to show my thought process. If you see my prior posts on this thread, you'll see that I was suggesting the use of non-generational subaru trademarks and that's what I went with.

Still.. The topic isn't "who stole my kungfu and made it look like play fighting".. It isn't "watch the 420 guy start a big argument"..! No! We're here to make a logo that Imprezer can use to make this place look better. Lets get back to logos!!
You made a lot of uneducated accusations. If you're wrong I'm going to let you know about it.

Last edited by bxm; 02-03-2003 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:22 PM
bxm

I beg to differ! I'm highly educated, so those 'accusations' (tee hee) are actually based on alot of education and that makes you wrong. Even worse, accusing me of being uneducated, based on your misinterpretations of my statements, makes you appear, atleast in my opinion, just a bit less street-smart. (How's that for a scathing insult?) Honestly, your design really looks like option E with a star and a swoosh added to it. Nobody would falsely say that's the case unless we know you or have some motivation to make stuff up.
Now you know that's not what I meant. I saw that you're a computer administrator and not a designer so you're not educated in graphic design. I didnt say it to be insulting, as you seem to be to me. I meant 'uneducated' in that you don't seem to understand the design process to think that I just up and picked a font like that. I didn't realize that using a font I would have used anyway could be such a big deal just because someone else used it too.

Last edited by bxm; 02-03-2003 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:17 PM
bxm

I was insulted that you thought I designed this with copying matt's design in mind. I'm an illustrator/animator, so what came to mind wasnt text layout or fonts, but the image of the name inside the subaru oval, beside the star. Regarless of what the two of you say, I did not copy matt's design and create a graphic around it. Saying your accusations were uneducated wasnt intended as an insult.
Anyway I still think my logos are good and make the best incorporation of Subaru indicia so far, especially since they're not generation- or model-specific.

Last edited by bxm; 02-03-2003 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:17 PM
bxm

No I liked your logo... See you got 7 stars if ya count the big one, and since the constellation Subaru actually has 7 stars, your logo's more accurate than Subaru's! Score one for U.S!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:33 PM
bxm

k, matt, this should put whatever's left in the contraversy to rest...

<!>if images fail to show, click links below....

http://cybertron3030.20megsfree.com/...t/iclub03d.jpg

http://cybertron3030.20megsfree.com/...t/iclub03b.jpg

Last edited by bxm; 02-03-2003 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:29 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Alright.

I see I saw enough diff logo's.

Give me a day or so to pick 3-5 diff designs and have you guys vote for it. After all, it will be YOUR logo, so I don't want to decide for you.

Thank you to all those who have contributed to the logo selection.

- Alex