Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Check your seat belts occasionaly!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 07:46 PM

Location: At the store trading the box of tissue in on some brawny!
Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
Exclamation Check your seat belts occasionaly!

Got in my car , left work and decided to take the long way home for fun .
Downshift into second for my first fun corner and next thing I know my seatback flies back and I'm hanging onto the wheel for dear life while trying not to leave the road.
WTF!
I try to get my seat back up once I straighten up but it won't stay put , I pull over into the first driveway and discover...
some how , over the course of entering/exiting the car my seat belt had looped around the handle which releases the seat back , and it looked like it had been like that for a bit , too .
Since this was my first spirited attempt at a ride home since the rains gave us a break for a day here , that first curve was enough to swing me around and pull up on the handle.
The moral is make sure your belts aren't doing something their not supposed to be doing , especially if you're a tall one and have the seat way back which I noticed puts the handle right in line with the belt. I hope none of you get this surprise , it could have been ugly!

I wish our side curtains were in the pillars because that is the only thing keeping me from a fixed back seat!
Old 02-25-2004, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
Is the ticket thing something new for you guys in Penn.?
Old 02-26-2004, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Quite a scare. ......glad you're alright.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
Good tip. Hate for that to happen to me or my wife.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:25 PM

Car Info: Platinum 02 WRX, Progress springs,JIC Bullet exhaust , STI shifter, Accessecu, Rota Sub Zero
It's one of those things we never rely check since once you buckle the thing you automaticaly think your good to go.
I now just run my hand all the way down to make sure all is well.
Ever bsee people driving around with about 2 inches of seat belt sticking out their door? Can you imagine what would happen in an accident as that excess belt comes free? might as well not even have em at that point.
Let's all make part of our safe sex....ooops ...safe driving practice from now on!
Old 02-26-2004, 06:34 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by cohlineman
I now just run my hand all the way down to make sure all is well.
JV, not while you're driving, please.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 02-26-2004, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
AHAHAHAHAHAHA, that is too funny.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Wingless Wonder

--
0==WW==0

Self pleasure can be as dangerous as talking on a cell phone and I know that which is why I always use a hands-free-device:banana:
Old 03-04-2004, 08:51 PM

Car Info: Impreza 1.6 Automatic gear
Just to say a year ago a friend of mine was involved in an accident he was in the back sit i think it was a mazda or something anyhow the very safe seat belt slashed him into 2 the guy never had a chance died on the spot now the only guy that didnt wear seatbelts in the car (there were 5 people in the car) was the onlyone that didnt got hurt he flew strite out of the window on while 2 dided and 2 other criticly injuerd he walked away from it only a few littel cuts!
Old 03-04-2004, 09:00 PM

There are the occasional exceptions to the rule. I wouldn't want to gamble on not wearing belts.

Another thing to check periodically is the condition of the belts. If there is noticeable fraying of the edges of the webbing where it passes though the tongue loop, I'd replace it with a new one. Also replace it if you have been involved in a bad crash. The belts will deform when subjected to great force. This is what crash or insurance investigators will look for to see if the belts were worn at the time of the crash.

Always make sure the seat belt lays flat where it will contact your body. Don't allow the belt to twist or be tangled because this will concentrate the point of contact into a much smaller area, causing possible injury. This is why race cars have very wide belts - to spread the force of impact over a larger area.

--
0==WW==0
Old 03-04-2004, 09:30 PM

It's your choice - I can't come up with an argument that will convince everyone. Would you put a small child in a vehicle without strapping them into a child car seat?

--
0==WW==0
Old 03-05-2004, 07:14 AM

if it wasn't my child and it was driving me crazy....
I would much rather err on the side of safety and use my own better judgement rules.I always say if it was safer to not use belts then those guys that go realy fast and get paid for it wouldn't use them.
When you see your favorite F1 or WRC (and NASCAR for those who rode the short bus) hit the circuit without a safety belt on then I'll open the debate up!

Quick Reply: Check your seat belts occasionaly!