Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
Angry Check Engine Light

I have 424 miles on my brand new '04 WRX, and all of a sudden the Check Engine Light has come on. It happened tonight while driving home in the rain. Any ideas what could be causing this? I filled up with 93 octane about 150 miles ago, so I don't think it is related to the gas I used.

Last edited by Chris04WRX; 06-19-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 10:37 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Go back to your dealer and get it checked. Could be anything, or nothing at all.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:53 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
The dealership is free too, he is still under warranty.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:51 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
Gas cap not on all the way?
Old 06-20-2003, 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I called Subaru this morning and got the gas cap routine. I already checked the tightness of the cap last night, and it seemed to not be clicked on all the way. I opened it and tightned it back up. The guy at Subaru told me to wait 48 hours and see if the light goes away. If not, he said to bring the car by on Monday and they will fix it for me. I'd imagine they would be able to diagnose the problem by viewing an error code of some sort. Am I correct?

Just out of curiosity, is there anyway to force the CEL to turn off? Say by unhooking the battery, etc?

Last edited by Chris04WRX; 06-20-2003 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
If the problem that caused the CEL to turn on is corrected the light will go out on its own after a few driving cycles. It is also possible to force a reset by disconnecting the battery but this isn't a good idea because it clears the code from memory so it can't be read anymore, and disconnecting the power also clears the learned fuel and spark tables and resets them to zero so the ECU has to begin learning all over again.
Just drive the car around over the weekend and if it was just the gas cap the light should go off. If it doesn't, and even if it does, a trip to the dealer to get the code read will shed light on the cause.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Mulder, thanks for the informative response. I drove the car around a bit tonight. If the CEL isn't out by Monday, I'll bring it by the dealer so they can read the error code. I definitely won't be unhooking the battery. I was just curious if unhooking the battery would actually cause the light to go out and clear the code (which you said it does). If I remember correctly, on my old SE-R, only the dealer had the ability to get rid of the CEL. I never had mine come on in the four years that I owned it, however. Thanks again. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Originally posted by Mulder
If the problem that caused the CEL to turn on is corrected the light will go out on its own after a few driving cycles. It is also possible to force a reset by disconnecting the battery but this isn't a good idea because it clears the code from memory so it can't be read anymore, and disconnecting the power also clears the learned fuel and spark tables and resets them to zero so the ECU has to begin learning all over again.
Just drive the car around over the weekend and if it was just the gas cap the light should go off. If it doesn't, and even if it does, a trip to the dealer to get the code read will shed light on the cause.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:59 AM

CEL Off

The CEL went off on its own today when I started the car. It hasn't come back on since. It must have been a loose gas cap.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The code will still be in memory even though the light is out. It would be a good idea to get the code read to be sure it was just the gas cap and not something else. Have the dealer scan it if that isn't a problem for you, otherwise there are several fellow owners in NJ with scanners who can do it if you post in Tri-State here and/or on NASIOC.
Old 06-21-2003, 03:46 PM

If the CEL comes back on, I will bring it to the dealer right away since that would indicate a recurring problem. I am almost 100% positive it was due to the gas cap being loose. I tightened it, drove the car around once, and the following day the light went off. Thanks a lot for your help, Mulder.

Originally posted by Mulder
The code will still be in memory even though the light is out. It would be a good idea to get the code read to be sure it was just the gas cap and not something else. Have the dealer scan it if that isn't a problem for you, otherwise there are several fellow owners in NJ with scanners who can do it if you post in Tri-State here and/or on NASIOC.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:13 PM

Well, the CEL came back on once again tonight. To the dealer it goes tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light