Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Calling All Impreza WAGON Owners! SEDANS too! (what are the Pros and Cons of each?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
Wagon Pros: It's way better

Sedan Cons: It's way worse

I drove both and I couldn't tell any difference in performance. I'd be stunned if track times for these vehicles were any different. I actually like the looks of the wagon more but that's subjective. The wagon is less common and quite a bit more functional in terms of hauling stuff. I fit an 8 foot ladder in mine with the back closed.

I'm talking WRX Wagon vs Sedan here.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:38 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon
Originally Posted by Fasteddy
Wagon Pros: It's way better

Sedan Cons: It's way worse

I drove both and I couldn't tell any difference in performance. I'd be stunned if track times for these vehicles were any different. I actually like the looks of the wagon more but that's subjective. The wagon is less common and quite a bit more functional in terms of hauling stuff. I fit an 8 foot ladder in mine with the back closed.

I'm talking WRX Wagon vs Sedan here.

I am pro wagon. BUT if there was a spec class where the difference between
first through fifth was only seperated by 1-2 seconds. You will see the sedans
on top. Just between friends or people who only go to the track once or twice
a year like me you will not notice a difference between wagon or sedan. For the wagon to have a chance there would have to keep the tire size the same. The
sedan can go wider. I think the sedan is 80 to 100lbs lighter also. Like I said
before someone like me would not notice 100lbs but the spec racers that can
do consistence lap times would.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:15 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
Id just hate to see a WRX sedan kick the crap out of a WRX wagon, same year, same power... It would really suck if the wagons are slower...
This is a non-issue.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:23 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by racerx7
I am pro wagon. BUT if there was a spec class where the difference between
first through fifth was only seperated by 1-2 seconds. You will see the sedans
on top. Just between friends or people who only go to the track once or twice
a year like me you will not notice a difference between wagon or sedan. For the wagon to have a chance there would have to keep the tire size the same. The
sedan can go wider. I think the sedan is 80 to 100lbs lighter also. Like I said
before someone like me would not notice 100lbs but the spec racers that can
do consistence lap times would.
It's 80 pounds and it's all in the rear according to my 2003 manual.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Imprezastifan88
*cough* Get a Forester XT *cough*

Great idea! Or pray that the Forester Cross Sport is imported to the States!
Old 06-17-2006, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by scarface
I had a 2000 Subaru Outback for 4 years. I loved it. But I ended up wanting more power. And I really missed having a trunk. Dont get me wrong, the wagon had a lot of advantages. Hauling, roof rails, folding seats. But they are definately heavier and not setup for high speeds. They can hang just not perform like a sedan. My outback was a solid car, but my 05 STi is a whole new world.

It basically comes down to what you need it for the most..........

But I got to say about what everybody is posting about the sleeper thing. Its reeeeally true. Not one look from s cop in my outback. Everyday in the STi. Big attention difference.

E
A Forester XT would fly right under the radar as well. No cop is going to be expecting anything from a Forester.....
Old 06-20-2006, 11:49 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by racerx7
I am pro wagon. BUT if there was a spec class where the difference between first through fifth was only seperated by 1-2 seconds. You will see the sedans on top. Just between friends or people who only go to the track once or twice a year like me you will not notice a difference between wagon or sedan. For the wagon to have a chance there would have to keep the tire size the same. The sedan can go wider. I think the sedan is 80 to 100lbs lighter also. Like I said before someone like me would not notice 100lbs but the spec racers that can do consistence lap times would.
Of course I'm assuming the same tire size as they come from the factory. The difference in weight is 80 pounds. That would make the two .08 of a second different in the 1/4 mile. I weigh about 50 pounds less than most guys at 150 so the difference comes to 30 pounds or .03 sec. in the 1/4 mile.

Depending on the track the difference between these vehicles is far less than the difference between drivers. 1-2 seconds is a lot on many courses. Tenths of a second would be more accurate. A good driver in a wagon will wipe the course with an average driver in a sedan.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRB Wagon
I had an 02 Sedan that was totalled in a mishap with a bobcat. After that I purchased an 03 wagon, and have never wanted the sedan back. Any performance or appearance differences can be overcome. I have the Sedan fenders and Bumper on my wagon (Fenders, Bumper and fender liners cost me $600 painted to match). I also have the subaru front lip and side skirts installed (they all fit fine). I am also running 225/45/17's on a lowered wagon, with KYB AGXs and Prodrive Springs.

The car handles awesome at the track. I have not done much for drag racing, I like taking corners. I can beat most of the sedans (even STI's), but I have driven cars on the track for years, and most of those guys think power is everything.

Its all about preference and utility, if you like to mountain bike I would go with the wagon, yakima and thule racks tend to dent the roofs on the sedans (they are pretty thin).
Old 06-20-2006, 02:24 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon
Originally Posted by Fasteddy
Of course I'm assuming the same tire size as they come from the factory. The difference in weight is 80 pounds. That would make the two .08 of a second different in the 1/4 mile. I weigh about 50 pounds less than most guys at 150 so the difference comes to 30 pounds or .03 sec. in the 1/4 mile.

Depending on the track the difference between these vehicles is far less than the difference between drivers. 1-2 seconds is a lot on many courses. Tenths of a second would be more accurate. A good driver in a wagon will wipe the course with an average driver in a sedan.
I think we are saying the same thing. Total of 1-2 seconds for first, sencond, third,
fourth, fifth place. Not 1-2 to secods per place.

example: (like at thunderhill)
first place laptime 2:10:00 flat,
second 2:10:30
third 2:11:80
forth 2:11:00
fifth place laptime 2:11.50

I am only talking about spec class where the same 20 drivers go at it every weekend and there are very consistent.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:35 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX Wagon
I own an 06 Wagon and have really enjoyed the versatility and extra space. It's nice to open the hatch and flip down the seats. I'd have no problem taking off the front tire on my mountain bike and dropping in the back.

Wagon all the way!
Old 07-21-2006, 03:40 PM

Car Info: WRX wagon
Holy Crap Trisnan I thought I was the only one who did that. I put sedan fenders on my '02 wagon about 3 yrs ago when some jerk put his trailer hitch through the front end and then drove off. How long ago did u do yours? Funny thing is almost noone has noticed. Only one mechanic at the dealership noticed when I took it in for a timing belt replacement. He liked it but so far it stayed under radar for looks.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Bugeyed Autowagon
Originally Posted by Magish
*cough* Get a Forester XT *cough*

Baja Turbo FTW
Old 07-30-2006, 09:36 PM

I haven't looked back since I bought my '04 wagon. Aftermarket mods make it enjoyable, relatively fast (and expensive, but you can find good deals on parts on i-club). But, to spend one day on the track, and do a Costco run the next, makes it worth it. And, it's true about the sleeper factor. Just today, a CHP passed me without even looking. Of course, I save the speed for the track. An '06 would probably make for a better mod experience, because it comes with the 2.5L block. However, I still get jealous of those who own STi's.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:38 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX
I am partial to my 04 WRX sedan.
I just don't like the fact of how long the wagons are.
I think they look nice and are pretty cool but, they are
just not for me because I don't need the extra space.
I love the fact that the Sedan is 100+ lbs. lighter and
in the 1/4 mile at the track the Sedan with everything
equal the sedan will win everytime because of the weight difference.
My 04 WRX sedan weighed in at 3140 lbs. at a truck stop.
My car is a automatic so it weights more.