Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Calling All Impreza WAGON Owners! SEDANS too! (what are the Pros and Cons of each?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Calling All WAGON Owners! SEDANS too!

My concerns... what are the Pros and Cons of owning a WAGON vs the SEDAN...

I would like to get a Wagon just because I mountain bike, but I'm sure I can still stuff it in the back of a Sedan... I have a bias toward the sedans because of their wide fenders, etc... but... here are some things Ive thought about..

Isnt the front wheel track shorter on the wagon? and I believe you cannot fit as wide tires on there...? Does the Wagon-ness of it lift its center of gravity making the tail more sloppy around corners???

Well whatever... You guys get the idea, I appreciate your opinions on advance...!

Oh and any performance sacrafices at all?

Last edited by Boost Addict; 06-03-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Here's my opinion. If you are looking for a cut and dry WRX. Wagon, hands down. If you want a sedan, WRX STi.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I would not be worried about it too much... Honestly... I am sure there are +/- to both, but both cars come with certain compromises... So you cannot really say... Just depends what you prefer. Besides added weight, narrower track (can be fixed) and stiffness of the chassis, there is no difference to me.

Just get a wagon if you want one.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:22 AM

Car Info: 2007 Nissan Frontier
*cough* Get a Forester XT *cough*

Old 06-04-2006, 09:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
The wagon will better fit your lifestyle.
As Imprezer said, any shortcomings can be overcome.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Thanks for the reinforcement guys... Actually leaning very much toward it... I cant see myself complaining eitherway coming from an 03 blown mustang.. Im def digging the sleeper factor of the wagon as well...

Thanks again, and any other concerns are definitely welcome!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:21 AM

Car Info: MY00RS25
Roof rack? You can always put your bike on top.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
As far as the sedan roof racks go...I've seen quite a few that have dents where the feet rest on the car. Be it from being on too long, the weight of the load, or simply the person having over tightened.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:32 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
i should have gotten a wagon

its useful
its low pro

the only thing is no wide body
Old 06-05-2006, 10:37 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Boost Addict
My concerns... what are the Pros and Cons of owning a WAGON vs the SEDAN...

I would like to get a Wagon just because I mountain bike, but I'm sure I can still stuff it in the back of a Sedan... I have a bias toward the sedans because of their wide fenders, etc... but... here are some things Ive thought about..

Isnt the front wheel track shorter on the wagon? and I believe you cannot fit as wide tires on there...? Does the Wagon-ness of it lift its center of gravity making the tail more sloppy around corners???

Well whatever... You guys get the idea, I appreciate your opinions on advance...!

Oh and any performance sacrafices at all?
you can come check out the performance at an SCIC meet if you want hehe
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
I owned an 02 sedan before I traded it for my 05 wagon, and I haven't regretted it one day. The performance difference is negligable, if any, but the utility of the wagon definitely gives it an advantage. Any performance shortcoming can be overcome with the aftermarket. I say go for the wagon!

Old 06-05-2006, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by ipozestu
Here's my opinion. If you are looking for a cut and dry WRX. Wagon, hands down. If you want a sedan, WRX STi.
+1

The only reason I don't regret getting a WRX instead of the STi ($$$ isn't a factor if you are going to mod, and trust me, you're going to mod) is that my seats fold down, roof rails are great, less understeer (80 pounds extra, all in the *** end), sleeper factor...did I mention the back seat folds down?

And I run 225/45/17 Azenis RT-615's (these run very wide) without rubbing on a lowered wagon...of course I run -1.8 camber all around to do it, but my car handles great since I have a 20mm "sedan" rear sway and solid endlinks.

Cliffs: Get the wagon. You won't regret it.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:13 PM

Car Info: GDA
Wagon if you're going for the utility factor. There are plenty of us here who ride bicycles - owning a wagon would save you from buying a roof rack IF you don't mind getting the interior muddy from hauling the bike.

As utilitarian as the wagon may be, I couldn't come to terms with owning a wagon. I opted for a sedan + roof rack instead and have not looked back. If anything, I think sedans w/roof racks look nice! When you don't want the "mountain car" look, take off the roof rack and throw on some wide rims.

Oh, unless you ride an extra-small mountain rig or a 48cm roadie, you're not going to be able to fit the bike in the backseat without taking off both wheels. It's wagon or roof rack.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Originally Posted by VRWRX
I owned an 02 sedan before I traded it for my 05 wagon, and I haven't regretted it one day. The performance difference is negligable, if any, but the utility of the wagon definitely gives it an advantage. Any performance shortcoming can be overcome with the aftermarket. I say go for the wagon!

Exactly. I too went from a bugeye to an '05 wagon. At first my wife was like "you're getting a wagon? Ok..." but she was much happier with it when it carted all of our stuff and our bikes for our wedding
Old 06-05-2006, 01:31 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Forester XT!

Quick Reply: Calling All Impreza WAGON Owners! SEDANS too! (what are the Pros and Cons of each?)