Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Budget lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 06:25 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
Ok so living where I do all you see is big jacked up trucks. I want to lift the Rex a little. I've seen the spacers that subtle has but don't have that much to drop right now. Can I use those rubber spring spacers I get at the parts store to put in it to see how I like it. Ultimate plan is to raise it, put on some gold bbs wheels and put some all terrain tires on it. So what are you guys thoughts.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
if you want a cheap lift, I think you can buy stock forster suspension and it should bolt right in
Old 11-05-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
if you want a cheap lift, I think you can buy stock forster suspension and it should bolt right in
Like stock forester struts and springs or just springs?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:57 PM

yup just research it a bit and you will figure out alot easier.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:01 PM

Car Info: 2004 Forester XT
Originally Posted by iRex

Like stock forester struts and springs or just springs?
What you can do is get forester struts and springs to start off with and then if you want to go higher get the lifting king springs
Old 11-05-2012, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Blazingbuda40

What you can do is get forester struts and springs to start off with and then if you want to go higher get the lifting king springs
Ok cool. I looked and its about a 2-3in lift hopefully ill be able to find some all terrains or mud terrains in a low enough profile to fit under the fenders with that much lift.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
King springs.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
King springs.
On stock struts?
Old 11-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Technical Know-It-All

On a car your age the struts are probably already bad regardless of what you get.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM

On a car your age the struts are probably already bad regardless of what you get.
You are seriously no help at all EVER.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 PM

If the forester struts are a bolt up ill swap them over. As far as ride and handling goes they feel good. I don't have and excessive bounce or front to rear rock on hard braking and accel.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:19 PM

-__- geez now I'm confused

Last edited by iRex; 11-06-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
You are looking for answers in all the wrong places man. I'll do my best to point you in the right direction, but you should expect to spend at least 2-3 hours researching and reading if you want to understand all of the lifting options available to you.

First, those $20 rubber spring spacers. It's not the best solution because they basically pre-tension the spring to stretch out the strut a little bit, therefore making the car sit a bit higher. Main problems are that you could have coil bind which limits travel (car still sits higher but the wheels can't move as much), the spring seat on the rubber spacer may suck and you might not even be able to assemble them properly at all, or that the rubber will degrade and fall apart, etc. This solution just generally sucks and should be avoided for most applications, much like the majority of "auto-parts-store-special" components. It wont give a good representation of having a lifted car and it will almost definitely suck *** to drive.

The place to look for lifting advice is not on I-club. You want DirtyImpreza.com
Here is one thread with links to relevant information:How To Lift Index GD GG
Surprisingly, there are a few useful threads on forums.nasioc.com as well. Here is one:How to Lift your Impreza

The short story is that Forester suspension is almost identical to Impreza suspension (of similar years) making the swap rather easy. There are also a few body lift spacers and mounts around the car you may want to change, but the important one will be the trailing arm mount. Due to the suspension design, putting longer struts on an Impreza moves the rear wheels forward in the wheel well and you need that mount to re-center them. This is probably the cheapest method, but will require a trip to the junk yard or searching the forums for someone willing to ship to you. Coincidentally, it is also the right way to do the swap and will have the best results for your goal.

King springs come from Australia and can be a ***** to get here in the states. They make these in multiple lengths for every model, the only special thing about King stuff is that they have a longer than OEM option. FYI they are generally ~1.5 inch taller ride height, ~25% stiffer spring rate and I think it is a progressive spring rate.

Brfatal is a troll who has opinions on everything which he insists on sharing but never provides any useful information.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:38 AM
Technical Know-It-All

What?

I've helped more Subaru owners in the last +10 years than you've ever met in person OR online combined.

Originally Posted by Gancherov
Brfatal is a troll who has opinions on everything which he insists on sharing but never provides any useful information.
You can't be serious. Do tell how I'm trolling? I see 2 trolling posts in this thread, one of which is yours. I recommended a set of springs and somehow "I have opinions on everything and never post anything useful"?

After a post like this, you have a lot of credibility: https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...7/#post3313078

You're retarded.

Last edited by Brfatal; 11-06-2012 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Car Info: 2008 SSM WRX Premium
Attached Thumbnails Budget lift kits-image-3127793052.jpg  

Quick Reply: Budget lift kits