Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Autometer Gauge Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 07:06 PM

Autometer Gauge Questions

My car is a 2003 wrx. I have never installed any type of gauges before except voltage gauges which are probably the easiest to install. I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer.

I bought a Autometer oil pressure gauge. It comes with a sending unit. Where on the block would I install this unit? any reccommendations on the install?

Also I purchased a Autometer oil temp gauge. Now this one has a fitting that is supposed to be drilled into my block. I really do not want to do this and I dont think i have the drill bits that are capable of this. Is there a pre-existing wire that has a oil temp output somewhere in the car? Or perhaps is there a factory drilled hole somewhere on the block that i can just unplug and plug my sending unit into? Any help would be appreciated on this one especially

Thanks
Old 03-03-2003, 03:22 PM

C'mon guys anyone have experience doing this???
Old 03-03-2003, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Originally posted by BLUTHDR815
My car is a 2003 wrx. I have never installed any type of gauges before except voltage gauges which are probably the easiest to install. I have a few questions I hope you guys can answer.

You might try re-posting your questions in the Performance Forums > Factory Turbo forum. I noticed other recent questions posted there concerning gauges. Since you have a WRX, some of your questions might be specific to the turbo motor.

Whatever you do, don't drill a hole in your engine for the oil temperature gauge! You'll almost certainly void your warranty. The factory temp gauge uses a special fitting that replaces the oil drain plug (only works with factory gauge). The engine oil pan is the best place to mount the temperature sending unit. Unfortunately, the sheetmetal is too thin to tap into. Race cars have a bung welded into the pan to accept a sending unit.

Give that Factory Turbo forum a try. Some of those other rex owners might have better insight than I.

--
^ww^
"…axles of evil…" - George W. Bush
Old 03-03-2003, 09:10 PM

thanks... i'll try that