Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Any i-clubbers having internet explorer/aol problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 12:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
Any i-clubbers having internet explorer/aol problem?

a lot of the time for the past 2 days when i post here 50 internet explorers pop up...so say i answer someones question after i click the reply button and my reply is added about 40-50 internet explorer screens will pop up with the same site...anyone else have/had this prob? please help if you can...i have talked toa guy from aol technical support and hes helpin me out so if i figure out whats wrong first ill post here
Old 08-20-2003, 05:34 PM
VIP Member

no im on windows xp....ill post something on i club through aol and the same site will open up in internet explorer 50 times...i didnt explain it well...but anyway i think i fixed it...i did "system restore" and the problem is gone...so i think it was something i downloaded
Old 08-20-2003, 08:36 PM

Car Info: '03 Impreza WRX
Various networks have been hit pretty bad the last week or two by a succession of worms.

Remember kiddies...
Always keep your Browser and O/S patched.

Run AntiVirus and keep it updated!

Never accept email attachments from strangers and be wary of those from friends - they may be less careful than you.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:42 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
AOL uses a pretty heinous browser. Quite often it helps to run Internet Explorer in a seperate window and use that to browse.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:42 PM
VIP Member

yeah ive done all that...im pretty sure i dloaded a program that was causing it ....so guys if anything happens to ur computer system restore is a great thing to try cuz u can usually fix the prob with it and if not you can undo the resoration
ban suvs-im really used to the aol browser...it usually works well for me...it was almost definately something i dloaded myself...
btw guys aol's live tech support is great...this guy really tried to help me out...in the end i fixed it myself though...but 2/3 times they've fixed probles on my computer for me

Last edited by awns729; 08-20-2003 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:41 AM

AOL uses a pretty heinous browser.
Begone fiend! I banish thee to the foulest refuse pile in the deepest latrine in Hades!!!

Doing a restore will not necessarily remove viruses from your system - it may not delete the infected files and it wont remove a boot sector virus in any case.

You need a virus scanner and you need to keep it up to date. It's that simple I'm afraid.

A firewall is also a good idea. I run ZoneAlarm, a software firewall that sits happily on your PC and monitors network traffic, blocking unauthorized stuff and prompting you to tell it what it should let through. You can download a basic version for free.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:30 AM
VIP Member

I think it was a virus or some sort of program in a temporary folder that was causing the pop ups...when i dloaded it(i dont know what cuz i dload a lotta stuff)i chose to open it instead of saving....do you think the program is still on my computer? should i bother trying to find it?....i have norton antivirus and i keep it up to date....i just use the windows xp firewall...and aol says they have some system to help broadband users stay virus free...but i dloaded something and i guess it wasnt detected as a virus...maybe cuz it wasnt...but anyway doing the system restore fixed the problem...do any of you know why i got switched back to aol 8.0 when i did the restore? ahh it doesnt matter....thanks for all the help guys!
Old 08-21-2003, 07:23 PM

If I were you, I would double check that Norton's virus definitions are bang up to date - check now, today, when you read this.

Then fire up the active scanner and run it on every hard disk/partition in your machine - all your drives if you have more than one. Let it run to completion.

If that says you're good, you can relax for a minute.

Now, if you're downloading files all over the place, the other thing I would strongly recommend is that you scan them as you download them - or configure Norton to do that for you (no, I don't know how, I'm not familiar with Norton AntiVirus).

Any file you introduce to your machine could potentially be infected with a virus. Some are more vulnerable than others...

Word processor and spreadsheet files are notoriously vulnerable to macro viruses. (eg .doc .xls)

Database files are potentially very vulnerable too. (eg Access .mdb files)

Anything file that is a computer program which executes on your machine is dangerous - .exe .com .bat .vbx and so on.

Any file with an extension (.xxx) you don't recognize should be a BIG warning sign.

Even .html in emails can be dangerous, firing up your web browser and sending it to who knows where.

Graphics and sound files are relatively safe, although the more complex those file types become, the greater the risk that someone will find a way to abuse them.

It's a big bad World out there...
Old 08-21-2003, 08:24 PM

I use Pop-up Stopper to control pop-ups. If your having problems with those instant messages that seem to come from nowhere all you need to do is disable Windows messenger and setup the XP firewall to filter out Net Send spam.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

thanks for the info...i updated norton already and ive scanned for viruses...im gonna double check the settings on my firewall...and everything has been great after the system restore
Old 08-22-2003, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
You don't really need a pop-up stopper. All you need to do is set your explorer security settings, under advanced. Just set first and third party cookies to 'prompt' and override automatic cookie handling. That's all a pop-up stopper does.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:29 PM

Car Info: '03 Black Sedan
Yes did that...very helpful in keeping unwanted crap from automatically downloading to your machine...I am using 2000 NT and tend to get a lot of 'blank' screens that never load and am constantly having to hit the 'refresh' button to get them to load..
Old 08-22-2003, 08:29 PM
VIP Member

ok for first party cookies i did accept and i blocked 3rd party...i figured it would be more convinient...is this ok or should i do exactly what ban suvs said? and should i allow session cookies? i checked it cuz i dont think it will do any harm.... also under the advanced tab of the same screen i changed two settings... i disabled third party browser extentions and i checked the "use passive FTP" box because its supposed to be safer wiht broadband...also the problem came back a few hours after installing aol 9.0 so i may uninstall it if the problem continues...one more thing i deleted a lot of crap from my computer and updated it once again...one final thing...if you understand all teh stuff in the advanced tab of that screen pleaseee help me understand it too cuz i understand like 1/3-1/2 of it...thanks a lot everybody...this place is always so helpful...ban suvs did i pick a fight with you or act like a real Ahole a while back? if i did im sorry-i was new and stupid

Quick Reply: Any i-clubbers having internet explorer/aol problem?