Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

04 WRX Wagon or 04 Forester XT?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 11:09 PM

04 WRX Wagon or 04 Forester XT?

I've been going back and forth between these two cars for about a week now. I know I want either one of these. I want a car that can haul some cargo for snowboarding and camping/hiking trips. I also bike so the roof racks would be great. I want power and handling.
My problem is that, the forester has the better engine in my opinion. But the WRX wagon seems like it would handle better out of the box. WRX Wagon has more mods available too. I also think the WRX wagon looks better. The size of the forester is a bit more than I typically need. The ground clearance is a bit more than I usually need. But that damn engine is related to the STi engine!! It just makes things hard for me! Out of the box the Forester is quicker than the WRX too. I'm not sure what would happen in a race after 100 though. The forester has the aerodynamics of a big square...

Say I had 2000 dollars to spend on both cars for upgrades. Which one would end up being the nicer/better car in your opinions? I don't think I'd do any serious offroading. Though I may try to take the car up to Mount Washington.. =)

Help me out guys. I want to hear some reasoning.

ZuM
Old 02-14-2004, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM Impreza WRX
I say go with the Forester. It WRX is cool and everything, but if you compare sizes, you'll want the Forester for the cargo. Yeah, the WRX is a wagon too, but if you have company taller than 5'7", it's gonna be a tight fit. The Forester would be a nice sleeper IMO. Nobody ever suspect a thing because it looks like a monster-truck-wagon thing. If you don't plan on modding too much, I'd say a nice suspension setup will sufice. Give it a nice drop and maybe some extra power mods and you're good to go.

Given the choice, I'd have to go with the Forester because of the size. The WRX wagons are pretty common and sure, out the box they'll probably perform better, but if you're hardcore STi, go with the Forester. Honestly, you can't wrong with either. It's just a matter of preference. Good luck!
Old 02-15-2004, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
Some people dont want the STi's. I have an 04 wrx and never think I would rather have one. Im very humble you could say but I plan on modding mine heavily down the road
Old 02-15-2004, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx wagon, wrb
i have a wagon and i love my car personally, and I don't think I wish I had an STi. Its up to you, drive both and see which you like better. But just remember that the second you get the car the mod bug will bite, trust me, and you will drop money on anything to make what you get better. So see what fits you better.
Old 02-15-2004, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX silver
where did someone chime in with the sti, I thought this was between a WRX and a Forester 2.5XT. I have a wrx with 405whp, but I want a silver 2.5XT for a good reliable daily driver soooooooo bad. Just turn the wrx into a full drag car. I've got an old 4runner but its been through hell and back.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
How old are you? Do you plan to have kids? A home, a family? If so, how soon?

Personally, I would go with the wagon - I'm 22 and not married and I have no kids. I don't plan on kids for at least 6 or 7 years - if ever.

If you're a bit older and planning to start up a family soon, I would pick the Forrester. It's bigger than the WRX so you'll have more room to grow in to it and shouldn't need to buy a new car to handle the kid and all its gear.

I guess I would factor in plans for my near future, then drive both and decide which I like better.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:50 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan
The Forester XT is pretty nice. We have one in automatic with the premium package that my girlfirend drives. The sunroof is huge and the stock sound system seems better than what is in my 04 WRX sedan. The 2.5 liter engine is a nice advantage in my opinion. I think it still handles and drives very well, but I have never driven a wrx wagon. Do the wrx wagons handle much different than the sedan? Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:30 PM
Angry Dan

Car Info: 05 Evo VIII
XT!
Old 02-15-2004, 06:53 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
I was in the same boat and went with the XT. I don't regret it at all. The interior is nicer and the steath factor is very high. I've done quite a few things here and there to mine to make it just the way I like it.

Peaty
Old 02-15-2004, 07:49 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
I would go with the wrx wagon. Im not a fan of the looks of the other, but looks are in the eye of the beholder. i don't really think the engine is that much better if at all in the forester. .1 seconds faster then the wrx is not that big of a deal when faced with all the mods that the wrx has. WHen you consider this as well, the wrx has only 227 hp where as the forester has something like 270 if im not mistaken. That extra 40 hp is only pushing the car .1 seconds 0-60 faster. Both are great cars and I agree if you have a family, get the forester.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:54 PM
more than meets the eye

Car Info: ?
The 2004 Subaru Forester 2.5XT scats 0-to-60 in 5.3 seconds. Not long ago, such a rapid rush was the province of sport sedans or cars. But not once did I climb behind the wheel with less than a grin on my face. I scatted across intersections and stunned Mustang drivers. "What is that?" I could almost hear them ask. Well, it's almost a Subaru WRX with a boxy body, that's what. Its four-cylinder, 2.5-liter boxer engine pumps out 210 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 235 lb-ft of torque at 3,600 rpm. And it weighs only 3,210 pounds.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:09 PM

I'm 25 and don't have my own family nor do I plan on having one in the near future. I'm into outdoor sports that require hauling equipment. Snowboarding in the winter, camping, hiking, biking in the summer/spring, and bowling year round..

I'm afraid of jumping on the WRX because I don't want to really regret it if they come out with cheap mods for the F-XT to bring it to STi power levels (given equal mods, there is no replacement for displacement).. I'd be really pissed if an exhaust and ECU reflash brought the F-XT to 300hp or more. I'm afraid of jumping on the F-XT because I don't want a truck. I want something that drives like a car more or less. I'm really afraid the F-XT will drive bad (compared to a well handling car). I know I should test drive both but I'm between jobs and may be starting a new one very soon. That means taking time off for test drive etc is out of the question. Even when I do get a chance to finally test drive (maybe 4-5 months from now) I won't be able to push the car or know its modded potential.

Peaty:
Handling between the two is the biggest deciding factor. Does the higher center of gravity effect the Forester much? Would a full STi suspension make the forester handle more like a car? I know you have a 20mm swaybar on your car (or at least that) how does it drive now?

I currently drive a 4th generation maxima. I've got a rear swaybar, strut braces, lowered with maxpseed springs and KYB AGX shocks, Dunlop SP5000 tires. I want the FX-T to handle at least as well as my maxima does now.

Originally posted by sonicsuby
How old are you? Do you plan to have kids? A home, a family? If so, how soon?

Personally, I would go with the wagon - I'm 22 and not married and I have no kids. I don't plan on kids for at least 6 or 7 years - if ever.

If you're a bit older and planning to start up a family soon, I would pick the Forrester. It's bigger than the WRX so you'll have more room to grow in to it and shouldn't need to buy a new car to handle the kid and all its gear.

I guess I would factor in plans for my near future, then drive both and decide which I like better.

Last edited by ZuMBLe; 02-15-2004 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:16 PM

How does the F-XT handle compared to sedans you've driven?

Originally posted by Rock Strongo
The Forester XT is pretty nice. We have one in automatic with the premium package that my girlfirend drives. The sunroof is huge and the stock sound system seems better than what is in my 04 WRX sedan. The 2.5 liter engine is a nice advantage in my opinion. I think it still handles and drives very well, but I have never driven a wrx wagon. Do the wrx wagons handle much different than the sedan? Either way, I don't think you can go wrong.

Quick Reply: 04 WRX Wagon or 04 Forester XT?