STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

usdm STi engine vs. usdm WRX engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 03:34 AM

my bad dude, i should've just added the 2.5rs boys in there also. i was just a bit into the typing i didn't really pay attention to what was really important. well, glad we've got that covered, good points too might i add. i didn't read that issue of drive magazine.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:21 AM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
sigh...well i finall got my dsl bak.. anyways whoever dissin on the ej20(WRX) is just simply stupid.

the ej20 is the foundation of the jdm and usdm STi engines, all manufactured assembled then shipped from gunma japan. basically they weakened the usdm ej20 engine for the united states domestic market. more cats and weaker cams on the usdm ej20, compared to the less cats stronger STi cams on the jdm ej20 engines.

japan decides to make the usdm 2004 STi, 2.5L oh yea..(japan already has AFTERMARKET 2.5L STi's, they just dont use them for rally races and dont sell them at dealers, they are always fixed up by a tune shop, for example, JUN. stroked from ej20 into a ej25. ej20 can produce just as much power, jdm STi from the dealer runs on 260 hp at the wheels approximatley, it runs high 12's bone stock right fromt the dealer in japan. the jdm STi stock is faster than the usdm stock. by take off the cats of the usdm and itll be more fair... but thats against the law, its not for the jdm sti.

usdm ej20(WRX), wants to go all out?.. sure no problem, asks JUN, basically better than a stock usdm or jdm STi, borred and stroked by JUN. it doesnt matter whether it was originally a usdm STi or usdm WRX, Jun WRX OWNS both. because its was from the foundation of a EJ20, JUN forged pistons JUN forged everything basically on the EJ20. crazier cams, basically dont matter, all u need... is a EJ20 engine. u want to crank out 400-700hp goto JUN to have ur engine rebuilt. same config. same foundation.

buy the usdm STi, definite street advantage and track, if both WRX and STi bone stock, ofcourse its better, legally and performance worthwise. both wants to go all out... it wont even matter if it was a sti or wrx, they both have the same foundation to be monsters. yes ofcourse the line crosses at the internals. that is all out. all u WRX owners that want to be the king. ask JUN to help or something, all u STi owners that want to be king, ask Jun to help or something, at least for those first 10,000-100,000 miles u goto to dominate bone stock 0-60 4 seconds 300 at the crank, legally. =)

at the end it comes to the driver.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:06 PM

STi still owns, it will own any dogdge stratus. my point is that dont diss the ej20. its basically the STi. the usdm STi kiks major ***, put enough money into that thing itll smoke anything in production.
Old 11-13-2003, 08:07 PM

STi is a 4 banger. itll bang anything in its way cause its the king of the streets.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:26 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
downshift,

when you say something it sounds like you're regurgitating information.

I'm not trying to flame you it's just funny in a way...

You sound like my friend. He's a ricer but he actually knows more car facts than I do, but the way he talks sounds like he just photographically absorbed some huge huge quantity of raw data and is spitting it out word for word to me.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally posted by 955 Daytona
differences in motors are some of these:
moly-coated pistons
variable valve timing
semi-closed deck
sodium-filled exhaust valves and spiffy intake ones
exhaust (not really a motor item...)
much nicer clutch/tranny
drive-by-wire
bigger turbo
displacement (mostly helps w/ lowend along w/ variable valves)
aren't the rods/crank and pistons different too? some of these are forged...
other than that it's a stiffer frame, better suspension, huge brakes, nice rims, way better diffy's, body kit, scoop and spoiler plus nicer seats, gauges, interior
well this thread got ugly. Thanks Daytona for being one of the only people to actually try to answer the question. to add to your list, the STI has:
forged pistons
forged rods
AVCS (Variable Valve Timing)
Bigger intercooler
bigger injectors
Look here for a nice BIG side-by -side comparison

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/imprez...004.html#stats

BTW, check the pic of the open deck, they make them like this so the blocks can be die-cast instead on sand cast, Die casr makes for lighter blocks with better tolerences, but does not alow for closed internal passages like in a sand cast. This is only a problem in high output situations where the tops of the open cylinders begin to "walk", this is why honda guys that put turbos on their cars usually buy an insert to fill the aree between the cylinders and block, I havent heard of a regular WRX having any problems directly related to the open deck yet, but its more of a long term reliability issue, in any case its more expensive to cast a semi-closed deck in a die cast but its nice to have
Attached Images