STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

usdm STi engine vs. usdm WRX engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 01:07 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
downshift,

If you search the NABISCO forums, you will find out that I used to think the same.

However, after seeing how 5MT's break, I admitted that I was wrong.

Once again,

5MT will blow up no matter what. Some sooner, some later.

I have stats on how many transmissions have been replaced by SOA and how many warranty claims have been denied since WRX came out. You will faint if I tell you. Unfortunately, I am obligated not to disclose this info. But let me just tell you, that the % of modded WRX's vs. fully stock is not that big.

Stock WRX's have their trannies blow up in amazing #'s. Explain that, mr. I know how to shift.
Old 10-07-2003, 01:42 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
hmmmm well hearing from u i take it into consideration, i know u can shift... or do i.. haha jk so ur saying my tranny will blow eventually no matter wat?

so how do they blow?? when u launch it? or wen u just cruise and it suddenly blows when u downshift.,... anyways if the tranny does blow just get a STi tranny thatll solve the problems. but for now im sure my tranny will last me a looooong time, until something happens ill let u kno if ur right for sure. also i kno lots of people know how to shift, but t hey dont know is riding the clutch, thats how the tranny blows. driving the clutch like its 2WD.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:47 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
wat exactly does semi closed deck and open closed deck mean? pr watevers, i dont kno wat it means at all.
Old 10-12-2003, 10:14 PM

also remember that they have better gas, although more expensive in japan. all internals forged, so the tune is much better than that of the US one. in order for subaru to make the 300hp numbers, they had to up the displacement then tune to the crappy 91 octane of cali. also, the US motor doesn't come with forged pistons, hypereurectic or hyper cast is what it is. i'd say that the biggest improvement is the 6-speed vs. the WRX 5-speed. the WRX block w/forged internals can handle the power given the proper tune, but it's the transmission that needs a lot of work.

a semi-closed deck configuration is reinforced on all four sides of the combustion chamber walls. an open-deck configuration has only reinforcement on the upper and lower sides of the chamber walls. a semi-closed deck can take more abuse given that the extra reinforcements will keep the piston walls from shaking. this could be very detrimental to the engine.

Last edited by el toro; 10-12-2003 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:50 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
Originally posted by el toro
also, the US motor doesn't come with forged pistons, hypereurectic or hyper cast is what it is.
The US motor does have moly coated forged pistons. If not i'd be suing Subaru because i have the booklet i got w/ the car right in front of me saying it has em.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:06 PM

STi city that's a great analogy.
Old 10-25-2003, 01:38 AM

why are you guys comparing the STi and the WRX. they're still impreza's. that's what i was afraid of, people just jumping on the STi bandwagon and no longer looking to the WRX. hell, the WRX, in my eyes is still a damn good car for the price. 32,000 for a car is already too much. the STi just has more of the bling bling factor going into it, which many 30,000K and up cars have to have, like the infiniti's and nissan 350Z's, BMW's etc. the STi is in a totally different market. so comparing the two and saying that if you do this or that to it, or spending this or that on it is irrelevant. put it this way, if you have the money, you can do anything. on the track (and not going straight), a WRX has just as much potential as the STi given the proper tuning, these cars can be put in a class all their own. sure, out the box, the STi is a great car no argument there, but the WRX has just as much potential as the STi. sure you won't get those flashy blue suede seats, big brembo brakes, flashy gauge cluster, etc. subaru says that 80% of the car is different, and much of that is within the engine and transmission. the other 20% is still the same as the WRX. if you mod your STi, you'll be swapping much of those parts out anyway, so why buy an STi, just buy a WRX and mod from there.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:34 AM

Well, regardless of what is better...the STI or the WRX, I still think they are both great cars. I currently have a WRX, unfortunatley when I bought it the STI wasn't out yet. I also had $4000 negative equity on my trade in so I paid like $31,000 for my REX. My monthly bill is $606. If I wouldn't of dumped about $10,000 on my REX already I would of traded it in on an STI. In either case, my REX hauls ***! I can smoke STI's (I have 2 under my belt) and I can probably smoke a modded STI at a race track (not a strip) because I can drive better than a lot of people. Ultimatley, it comes down to the driver. A 300hp machine like the STI ( or a 227hp WRX) is only as good as the driver. Do you guys remember when you first got your REXs?? I bet you were not as good a driver as you are now....it took me about 3 months to learn to drive WRX like it should be driven. I guess what I'm trying to say is that YES, the STI is superior to the WRX...and I think it's only slightly superior! Both cars look great and they are both purpose built for one thing...smoking the competition! I think I'm going to wait and see what the 2005 STI (if they have one) has in store for us, if not I'm getting a ZO6, but I'm keeping my REX!

-SZ
Old 10-28-2003, 09:51 AM

I love bitter WRX owners. I used to trash the WRX and would have never in a million years considered owning one of those ugly turtles but the STi made me run to the dealership and slap my money down.

Even the frame is rather different. The 20% that's the same is like the dash console front windshield mirrors and nonrelevant stuff like that all the stuff that matters is much better.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:15 AM

i wouldn't say "bitter" WRX owners. actually, if it wasn't for the sale of the WRX's, then the STi would've never hit american soil, so in that sense, the WRX opened the door for the STi. so when you see a WRX, it will remind you of where it all started from. hell, if it wasn't for subaru to take a risk and sell the WRX in the US, then none of this Evolution/STi crap would've started. it opened so much doors for other companies to see where the market was, hell, i'm still proud of my WRX. there were so many owners that jumped ship to the STi, it's not even funny, but hey, they're still WRX impreza's. so instead of putting down the WRX why don't you give credit where credit is deserved.

Last edited by clamdip; 10-28-2003 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:34 AM

well, the focus here was the "WRX" and not the "2.5RS". i was just pointing out the fact that why is he putting down the WRX, when it was "one" of the many reasons why we got the STi in the first place and WHY we have Evolutions running around. now, you're just going a bit further back and by all means, i agree with you, and if he said for instance, those crappy 2.5's or something like that, i would've backed it up from there, but since the line was drawn on the WRX, i started from there. yes, the 2.5rs was a root to the WRX, which is a root to the STi. so not to be rude or anything, but i was giving credit where credit is deserved if you've read the post above. yeah, where there's one, there's always one better. but don't get me wrong, i totally agree with your post, it was the person directing comments about the WRX that wasn't very supportive. so i had to add some comments there.

Quick Reply: usdm STi engine vs. usdm WRX engine