STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

usdm STi engine vs. usdm WRX engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 03:13 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
usdm STi engine vs. usdm WRX engine

hey guys i like to know from the experts or those with considerable amount of knowledge to answer my question..

what is the difference, of the STi internals vs the WRX internals and how what does the sTi have to make it 300 hp. cams? pistons? id like to know this because i want to learn how to make my WRX just as powerful by changing the internals in the far far future. please give me clear and detailed descriptions of the STi internals, please no bs, i can tell

thanks
Old 10-05-2003, 03:55 PM

and wat does the .5 L extra do?? see wat i mean by non detailed explanations??! hhehe.. anyways... the jdm sti is 2.0L and still faster than the USDM sti bone stock. the jdm sti have more power to t he wheels even with a 2.0L so bigger dont always mean better, thats a misconception americans have. bigger hamburgers bigger seats for the big ***. haha jk, 2.5L is da shiet but the point is its makes a lot of power, but.. usdm laws... cats, smog checks, yes its 300hp at the crank, but at the wheels its much less, thats because of the restrictions. but the 300hp is wat gets the buyers. the jdm sti has 280 at the crank but at the wheells its much higher compared to the usdm at the wheels, basically... i want to know how they make the power using the Liters... and etc..
Old 10-05-2003, 04:27 PM

Well, stroking the EJ20 and bumping the displacement will surely give you some more ponies and extra torque. To get a stroker kit plus labor can run a good amount of money. I think the most cost effective way to smoke an STI is the following:

STI injectors: used about $300 (check ebay)
Wahlbro fuel pump: $100
UTEC: $900
VF30: $750
TT exhaust: $750-$1000
Intake: $75-$200
TMIC/FMIC: $675-$900 slightly used and depending on which one.
I recommend the TXS TMIC or FMIC.

This setup with the TMIC will give you approx 385hp and close to 400hp (about 265-325whp I think). You can keep the stock intercooler and run about 365hp (saves you $675-$900). This setup will cost you about $3000 plus labor, I paid $500 for labor but most places will charge you about $1000. It is very easy to install these parts yourself with the exception of the injectors and up-pipe. I think this will be your best option.

If you really want an STI engine I think you can get one for a little over $5000 [block].

Thanks
SZ
Old 10-06-2003, 10:51 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
JDM STi power figures are 276hp at the flywheel but i've seen dynos in the high 240's low 250's ath the wheels.

For the US STi i've seen 257lowest at the wheels and 266highest.For once we didn't get shafted and that's on 14.5psi.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:53 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
Pistons are same compression ratio 8.2:1 STi has more aggressive cams variable valve timing bigger turbo and bigger displacement so more power. About 90 at the wheels!!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:15 PM

hmmm.... interesting, by the way sub zero u forgot to add in the STi tranny, over 300hp on a wrx... u will NEED the STi tranny to handle the driving =)
Old 10-06-2003, 03:41 PM

downshift,

I agree, the STI tranny is a big plus but I don't beleive that it is necessary on the WRX until about 400hp. Of course, if you are going to dog the transmission then I could see one having to replace it much faster. I'm personally running a TXS STG4+ (soon the get the TSX FMIC) and my transmission works perfect and I've never had a problem (I don't dog my tranny).

My original post was in response to someone looking to get STI performance on a WRX and I think I gave him a reasonable setup that can put down the HP without breaking the bank. The STI tranny is much stronger and has the advantage of the 6th gear but a WRX with the modifications I described will be able to take th STI on the 1/4 and on the open road. I base this off of personal experience with racing the new STI's. But watch out when the STI is modified! A modified STI with a full exhaust, Up pipe and some EMS will put down some amazing numbers! I heard close to 500hp with the proper tuning. STI's are awesome cars but WRX's are equally as good in it's own right.

Take a look at the Sport Compact (I think) magazine that compared 3 or 4 WRX's to the STI. The Vishnu STI with upgraded STI injectors, VF30, Full exhaust, up-pipe, Upgraded TMIC and Vishnu pulley had no problem taking the stock STI. The kit is about $4000 retail...can't argue with that.

Thanks
SZ
Old 10-06-2003, 03:46 PM

sub zero, wat do u mean by dog? anyways that vishnu WRX was just a WRX, not an STi, anyways the vishnu WRX was faster so thats good. and ur right about the WRX being just as good in its own right, its still the impreza with lots of potnetial, and in the future u can always replace the wrx motor with a sti jdm motor.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:49 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
5MT can blow up for no reason. I never dogged my 5MT but it popped on the dyno ~ 220 WHP.

6MT is a must for anyone. ALL 5MT's will blow up. It is just a matter of time.

Also, STi heads have much lager ports.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:53 PM

downshift,

When I said "dog" the tranny I meant abuse to the tranny.

I know the Vishnu WRx was just a WRX, that was the comparison I was trying to make (A wrx with about $4000 in modifications can take an STI).

Anyways, in the future (way future) I was thinking of getting the 2.5lt platform and completely re-doing it from the bottom up. A 2.5 lt swap will be totally awesome especially with some extra work. Have you seen the ESX STI? That think is insane!

-SZ
Old 10-06-2003, 04:07 PM

I know the 6spd STI tranny is much stronger and I cannot wait to upgrade mine. You must admit that blowing your tranny on the Dyno at only 220 is kind of strange. I've dynoed mine at 385 (18pnds boost) and never had a problem. I guess some tranny's were just meant to fail faster than others.

Did your warranty cover your tranny? I heard many people were getting screwed on their tranny warranty because the dealers said it was "abused" or "raced". I think it's crap that Subaru makes a street legal racecar meantt to be driven hard (they even advertise it) with a weak tranny. Then when it blows they do not cover it.

-SZ
Old 10-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
No, I did not warranty it, because my car is faaaaaaaaaar from stock and I am against ripping the dealers/soa off for scam-claims.

I just got a 6MT.

My car had 320wheel HP (Shiv's Dyno) and the tranny was good. Then one day just BOOM.

I have seen stock WRX granade their trannies..

My point is, the 5MT is poo. It will break. No matter what. Just a matter of time.
Old 10-06-2003, 05:23 PM

Imprezer,

Now you have me paranoid, I hope my tranny doesnt go. I still have my TXS FMIC and my Brembo BB kit to buy...LOL. How much was the tranny (6spd)?

-SZ
Old 10-07-2003, 12:51 PM

the tranny breaks only beacuse people dont know how to drive. seriously if u shift and engage incorrectly at high torque, itll blow ofcourse, thats why u goto drive it right. thats why dealers wont cover people who *** up their trannis like little kids. its one with skills and intelligence and responsibility. to take kare of their 5mt not shift and dump the clutch wen its AWD, lots of idiots dont know that AWD is driven differently than 2WD, thats why theyu break their tranny.

Quick Reply: usdm STi engine vs. usdm WRX engine