STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

Sti MSRP (or markup) lists?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 11:52 AM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Sti MSRP (or markup) lists?

I have seen this done on the EVO forum and would think that it would be a good idea to warn people about markups from dealers. (or dealer price adjustments) From what I seen, the markups on the EVO VIII are anywhere from 1K to 28K!!! I know that the Subaru dealers haven't started to sell the Sti yet, but once they start to sell, it would be nice to know which dealers are marking up the cars so that unsuspecting customers can avoid them.

My 0.02,

Tim

edit: A bit off topic from the Sti forum, but an example of what an off the wall markup is.

http://www.imbecilicracing.com/evo8/IMG_1006.JPG

Last edited by samurai; 03-10-2003 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by LanceK
What's so unsuspecting of a dealer charging big markups?!

Don't you think any normal person can look at the sticker and see how it compares to the purchase price?

If a dealer isn't offering you the price you want to pay don't buy it....that's the only way dealers will stop asking ridiculous markups. SOMEONE actually pays those prices otherwise the dealers wouldn't be doing it. I know most people on this list wouldn't but hey the dealer doesn't care who he sells it to, he is only concerned with getting the highest profit the market will bear.

I'm not trying to defend dealers because I hate most of them too. But if nobody buys the cars at the high prices they will be forced to lower the prices and eventually you will get the car at a price you think is fair.

Sorry for rambling.....I just don't understand why you would need a whole separate list to tell someone they're getting ripped off when all the info. they need is right on the sticker (or already on this website...lol).l
You have a point Lance. But, this type of list can also help people who have been offered visions of an Sti at MSRP then get screwed as the dealer changes the sticker price to their satisfaction (ie. mark the car up). This to me signals a dirty dealer (or dealership?)and should be announced so that other people don't get screwed. Think of it as a dirty dealer watchdog group.

Tim
Old 03-11-2003, 12:57 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
I've heard of people getting their EVO's for MSRP. I think with the EVO out already, Subaru dealers will realize that there is competition and sell at MSRP or maybe lower, but doubt it.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:49 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
Thumbs down Subaru of Puyallup

From Subaru of Puyallup, Washington:
We are going to charge more than MSRP for the STI if you want to put a deposit knowing you will be paying the additional mark up let me know and we can get together. Alot of other dealerships say they are taking deposits for msrp but they have lists of 5-8 deep. Guess what, we will probably only see 2 or 3 per dealer, if that! So all those guys will not be getting a car for msrp or a car period. To bad for them, good for you.

Greg Stanger
Internet Manager
Cell 312-2342

From Eastside Subaru (Kirkland, WA)
in respect to the STi, there are a few factors to be considered...first, the msrp will really not be in play here and will not have an effect as we will be marking the car up from the msrp a bit...there will be only 300 STi's built per month for the entire subaru sales industry, figure 600 subaru dealers nationwide and you understand why deposits will not be taken..we just dont know what we will be charging...in this respect, its not how much it costs, but who is going to step up to the plate and be the one to pay what is going to take to own it.. regards, kelly d.bader internet manager eastside subaru 425-260-2094

Last edited by markpaco; 04-15-2003 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:35 PM

Originally posted by dsmperformance
I've heard of people getting their EVO's for MSRP. I think with the EVO out already, Subaru dealers will realize that there is competition and sell at MSRP or maybe lower, but doubt it.
For special cars such as the EVO and the Sti and considering how rare they are, I don't think some car dealers will care, unfortunately.

Tim
Old 03-12-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by LanceK
MSRP = Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price.

It's only a starting point, dealer's can charge as much as they want.

Like I've said here before, I have 7 years experience in the industry as a factory rep and there are good and bad dealers. But it's pretty frustrating to hear people want something for nothing.

When you bought your first house did you look up what the prior owner paid (public knowledge) and offer the same price or a little over? And THEN ask him to fix everything wrong with the house?

I myself can't stand stand the fast talking and smoke and mirrors that some dealer personnell subscribe to, but the bottom line is if a product is in enough demand then the market (meaning the dealer AND the customer) determines the price. If the demand drops, the price drops and if you're patient you will eventually get a deal you feel comfortable with.
First off, 32k MSRP isn't exactly nothing. It is a lot of money. The next point I wanted to make was that although car dealers will charge what they deem fit to charge, (MSRP, invoice, or markup) I don't want to get screwed into buying a car that is priced more expensive than it should be. I also don't want to get screwed into agreeing into something where a dealer promises MSRP and suddenly marks up the car.

Its gonna be the most likely scenario for me that I'll be waiting for the next years allotment of Stis, but I'm still hopeful that I'll find a place that'll give me a good deal..

If you think I'm stingy, my dad wouldn't buy a 2002 Honda Odessey because the dealer charged 100$ over MSRP. Thats right.. $100

Tim

Quick Reply: Sti MSRP (or markup) lists?