STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

"Fixing" STi understeer

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 09:58 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
The "understeer" complaints are overrated. Next to every understeer comment is another comment about how easy it is for the car to go sideways, so I dont understand what the fuss is about...

And yes, a simple alignment would correct alot of the problem by giving the front wheels a bit more grip and by evening out the camber in the rear will allow the rear in conjuction with the more negative front camber will make it less understeer prone.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:48 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
Re: "Fixing" STi understeer

Originally posted by cmlnr
It would appear from car mag articles that the STi has an undesirable amount of understeer for whatever reason.

Thoughts?
As mentioned above, understeer complaints are overrated. The other problem is, you(and others) are taking magazine opinions way too serious. Its only a magazine; opinionated journalists transfering driving impressions into words. Another thing, none of the magazines are testing these rally machines in extreme variable conditions, such as a rally course. Granted, most won't see off-road, but a rally would be the ultimate test. Maybe do both?

Last edited by dsmperformance; 05-02-2003 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
Re: Re: Re: "Fixing" STi understeer

Originally posted by cmlnr
Opinionated journalists (who drive hundreds of cars) transferring driving impressions into words... Sounds like what they are paid to do and exactly the reason I read those magazines. Those opinions count for something, at least to me. Considering I have read 4 articles now that surface the exact same understeer complaint, wouldn't you tend to think there was a legitimate issue here?

So in other words, you've driven the cars (or at least the US STi) and have confirmed that the understeer complaints are exaggerated based on your experience driving hundreds of cars and all the journalists are just blathering about nothing?

Maybe I'm over reacting here, but opinionated comments like yours which don't even address the question in a factual way, whether intended or not, don't seem constructive to me, especially when the question is so simple.

"The problem is, you (and others)... [oblique (and probably unintended) insult]"

No, the problem is that there is an obvious pattern and trend in the comments about the car. Those don't come from no where.

I just asked if there was a cheap fix...

Nope, no insults intended. Just expressing my opinion on how these magazines do their tests. Look at the May edition of SCC, they can't even get the right pictures associated with the STi article! But if a magazine sways your decision, go for it! Not gonna stop me from getting the STi, thats for sure!
Old 05-03-2003, 12:17 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
cmlnr: As you know, none of these reviewers are actually TRYING to fix that understeer problem through simple solutions, so we dont know yet how easy it will be to fix. Its not like they are re-aligning the cars to non-stock specs, for that we need to wait for actual owners and club members to start with modifications and run on the track for us to get any definitive ideas on what to do. If thats an issue with you in terms of waiting, then feel free to buy an EVO.

But like I said, an alignment alone may do wonders, at least from my personal experience in autocrossing and driving my Impreza at the limit...
Old 11-05-2003, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi Silver/Gold
Rear camber

Ok so im going with 1.0 to 1.2 up front with 0 toe.

Now about the rear. Also 0 toe, but what about the camber? Should it be close but not quite as much like .8
Old 11-05-2003, 07:45 PM

Car Info: 04' JBP STi 02' WRB Wagon
If you want an honest opinion, i can tell you that the understeer comments usually go "the car understeers a little to early." thats not to say that its a problem, as a matter of fact i have both an 04' STi and an 02' WRX wagon running with heavy P1's on 225/45/17 S0-3's, and the understeering is more pronounced in the wrx than in the STi. If the STi has an understeering problem, then i suppose they should say the WRX is basically a sled with no reins.

As to fixing the understeer problem, i lift off the gas an it oversteers, as a matter of fact, i have to compensate by lightening steering input as i'm shifting because disengaging the engine from the tranny produces that oversteer, which is pretty scary to me.

So basically, at least to me, there is no understeer problem, not compared to the WRX, but perhaps in comparison to the EVO the understeer does come a bit early. Don't forget that most of these journalists have tested and driven the EVO before also, so there is a frame of reference and comparisons, even not direct ones, will come about.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:50 AM

Car Info: 2004 STi Silver/Gold
Er ah!

The STi owners manual has the camber at:

-0.30 front
-1.40 rear

People keep saying its .4 rear. I do believe the STi needs more camber in the front. Yes my over doing it with drifting turns has balded the sides of my tires, BUT the insides look brand new. I can help but believe that -1.0-1.5 up front wouldnt help a little with contact patch in turns.

I guess i drive about as aggressively as any one on the planet. 5400 miles and tires are just about gone.

Please advise that if the rear is -1.4 then should that be changed.

Quick Reply: "Fixing" STi understeer