STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

Do you really think the STI will come FULLY loaded under 30k?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 11:39 PM

Car Info: 05 PSM STI
SOULFLY, Go back to the Honda or DSM boards, and talk your trash. You cant touch a new Vette for less than $50K and the M coupe? is $52k. $20+k sure aint 10%more than $32k.
By the way go to Kelly Blue Book and you will find that the WRX depreciated less than your dads Honda by percentage. I wont even tell you how bad the Lancer is on depreciation!!
The EVO should be a fun ride, when your not wrenching on it. The only option you will have, is to take it to SATAN! I have been there and I dont ever want to go back!!
Jerry C
Old 01-10-2003, 02:29 AM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

The S2k still sells for $5-10k above MSRP here in the Bay Area. Or should I say, it doesn't sell. It sits on lots. I've talked to one dealership on and off for the last two years. His S2ks sit for 4 months at a time. He's a dummy. He had a buyer walk out after he turned down an offer of MSRP. Instead, I think he just likes having the pretty car in the window.

At any rate, there are many good dealerships around. Many of them are promising MSRP. When the WRX first came out and people were paying several thousand over MSRP, some of the dealerships were refusing to play that game. In fact, I believe Subaru of Santa Cruz posted up on the old i-club that they would sell the WRX for $1k over invoice, whatever that turned out to be. A bunch of people got them at that price, which turned out to be below MSRP.

That wasn't a new trick for SSC. They also did the same thing when the 2.5RS came out. When the car first was announced, the word was there would only be 2000 of them. Subaru of Santa Cruz sold them for MSRP - even the first shipment.

So, you have a choice. You can be a sheep and you can pay thousands over MSRP, or you can be smart and support an honest dealership. Then you can pay MSRP or even less.

I am willing to bet that SSC will not charge more than MSRP on the new STi. And they won't add the $5k undercoat protection or whatever garbage other dealers try. SSC is an example of what other dealerships should strive for. Meanwhile, people drive hundreds of miles to get their cars and sometimes their service from SSC.

Joel
Old 01-10-2003, 08:36 AM
Dork

Car Info: 2005 STi, 2005 OXT
Hello,

Tom, just because there's demand, the dealers should gouge? That's terrible. I suppose it's unamerican of me to want to protect the innocent, but I think it's silly that you can go to one dealer and get bent over, while FOR SURE somewhere within half a day of you, there's a dealer who is not simply looking to make the most money off you at the initial sale. That's why I like telling everyone over and over again that you CAN get most cars (especially Subarus) for MSRP and maybe even less than that. If you CHOOSE to pay more, just know that it's a choice you've made.

A dealership that restrains itself and doesn't charge every last penny makes customers for life. Almost every single person who has gone to Subaru of Santa Cruz is about as fanatical about the place is, as I am! They warranty repair modified cars. They sell some aftermarket parts and install those and more parts. They charge appropriate amounts for services. I don't think there's a dealership visited by more enthusiasts for normal maintenance. *shrug* That's why it doesn't make sense to rape your customers at the initial sale.

In Southern California, Irvine Subaru is building a similar, yet different, reputation. They have a whole seperate aftermarket division. SPI Motorsport I know they didn't gouge on the 2.5 or the WRX as each of those came out.

Just look around and if a dealership is willing to charge thousands over MSRP, tell them "no thanks, [insert good dealership name here] is not being so greedy."

Joel

Quick Reply: Do you really think the STI will come FULLY loaded under 30k?