STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

Can you really afford your STI?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 05:04 PM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
hey

i think the most important thing to remember with cars is they are not an investmant or an asset, but rather a liability. cars do not appreciate in value (almost all cars, but especially subys). they LOOSE value. if you plan on keeping the car forever, than buying it outright is the right thing to do, if you have the $$. it will save you from paying tons of interest, and you will reek its value in the pleasure of owning the car.

the STi like any other car will loose a signifigant amount of its value quickly. the import numbers are low, and they will make more and import more. this car is going to be a huge hit, just as the EVO is, and prudent buyers will be patient and wait for the first rash of fools who are going to have to sell the car because they got in over there heads and cant afford it. As badly as i want to get a car in the first allocation, i might just very well wait for the price and hype to come down.

look at the price of wrx's. i see them on ebay and autotrader for 17-18k, w/ no miles on them. that is cheap, considering many of those people payed $24-26k w/tax, etc.

but, for most of us the lose of value is inconsequential. it really is up to the individual.

edit: i personally have enjoyed every one of the cars i have owned beyond what i have paid for them. it isnt about the $$ or the lose of $$. it is ALL about the pleasure of tuning and driving it like i stole it. just wanted to make that clear

josh

Last edited by josh; 02-24-2003 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX STi
essogas, the guy that was saying 4 months gross income also said 6 month if you're hitch. (65k/12) * 6 = 32,500. Pretty close to the price, IMO. You seem to fit that guy's profile fairly well. You're in a pretty sweet spot compared to many. Most of the "don't buy" statememt from the group was for the guy with the 35 k/year job.

At 35k/year gross, he certainly can buy the STi. It will dominate his expendature. For the % income that it will take to own his STi, I hope it provides that much pleasure. If it does, then it's worth it. If it doesn't, he's going to be unhappy with something that should be pure pleasure. You can't really enjoy it if it's stressing you about making your ends. There will be a better STi(or some better car) in a few years. If things work out for him like they should (upwardly direction), this thing will be pure pleasure then. I'm not saying he shouldn't get it. His money = His decision.

For me, a 35K purchase is very major. It will still be a little of a pain in the behind, even with a sizable down-payment and short financing term(bigger payment but better rates). I'm not sweating my ends though. This thing is going to be pure pleasure.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:29 PM

Car Info: Silver/Silver
It is very difficult to think rationally when it comes to a car like the STi. Anyone that has a clue about the potential of this car (most people on this board) will be vulnerable when it comes to clear financial thinking. So I’m not surprised to see many posts concerning people trying to "stretch" their dollars to own this car. Hey, we’re not talking about a Honda Accord LX here.

As for me, my company will be footing the bill for the STi—the least they could do for the hell they put me through.
Old 02-24-2003, 09:14 PM

Car Info: 03 wrx,944 turbo racecar, Lexus is300
Income versus STI issue..

I have a very good income and so does my fiance. I spend 20-30 grand a year on racing my Porsche and paying for Panoz and this year, Speedvision GT rides. So for me to actually purchase something that will last longer than an afternoon of sweat and fender banging is great !! I have contracted someone to do my race proposals and sponsor packages, so the idea of a 35k very rare Subaru sounds good,...it all comes down to your indivisual situation.

The real problem is, now my fiance really wants a Skyline ,..baddd..

TO ANYONE WHO HAS TO SELL MOUNTAIN BIKES AND FLAT SCREEN TV'S AND HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES TO GET AN STI,...DO IT CAUSE' THAT STUFF YOU CAN REPLACE.... THE STI,..WELL WHAT IF THEY ONLY MAKE IT FOR 2 YEARS, OR 1 YEAR,..YOU'LL BE LOOKIN' AT THE STAINLESS STEEL FRIDGE REGRETTIN' NOT GETTING THE STI.......

944 TURBO GUY

Quick Reply: Can you really afford your STI?