STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

Break in Period

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 07:28 PM

Car Info: 01 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Question Break in Period

Okay this I don't understand or believe. I was talking to my dealer and he was saying there was NO break in period. I was like that does not make any sense at all! But with the performance car that it is, I did not question it. Thought I would ask the rest of you guys what your thoughts were on that and if any of you have heard the same? I know there is another discussion on the break in period but I wanted to get to the bottom of this from scratch!

Personally even with him sayin that, I would still break in my engine... But it will be soo hard not to drive the STI hard.. I guess I will just have to compose myself

Anyway..Let me know what your thought are!
Old 09-04-2003, 02:25 AM
Kbi

Car Info: Black/Gold STI
I thought it would be hard keeping my STI under 4K during the break-in, but it hasn't been bad at all. There is enough torque down low that it feels quick enough, and is definitely fun even during break-in. The miles have been rolling fast (700 miles in 10 days) because I seem to be driving all over just to drive. So, I'd difinitely break it in, keep it below 4K for the first 1K miles and easy on the breaks (No testing out the ABS...) I'll change the oil at 1K with synthetic, and then WOT fun fun fun!
Old 09-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Kbi

Thanks for your opinion and info. I've read a lot of post regarding this matter, and there seems to be major confusion/different trains of thought. I've read a post that had a quote from SOA saying that synthetic is fine from 1K, but once you go syntetic, you should keep using it. Also many high performance cars (I think the M3, Porches, Ferrari... I could be wrong w/ which exact makers) come standard w/synthetic oil already in them. So... I don't know what to do yet. Our mechanic in Hawaii believes synthetics are fine from 1 K and has changed many w/ mobil 1. What to do...
Old 09-16-2003, 06:34 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
it will not hurt ur engine at all to get the mobil 1 fully synthetic, ur engine is definitely broken in, the engine actually breaks in after 500. if u change ur oil now, u will see how dirty it is, also before u change ur oil, make sure u start up the car first and idle it for a couple minutes to warm up the engine, warming up the engine right before u change the oil is the best because it will help drip out all of the metal shavings and acids that are not good for your car. remember its very important.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:45 AM
Kbi

Well, I finaly got my oil changed today at 1,300 miles with conventional dino oil. The subaru mechanic here feels pretty strong that it's perfectly fine to go with synthetic, and I tend to agree with him. Alot of engines these days come original with mobil one synthetic, including the AMG that I had. But I decided there's no harm going to 4000 miles with dino, and switch to synthetic then. I'm having fun with the rev limiter now set to 6.5K and shifting at redline! Ran across a Black evo on the freeway today...!!!
Old 09-22-2003, 05:57 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
You pays your $ and takes your choice. A difference of opinion is what makes horse races. btw: do Porsche, Ferrari, et al do engine run-ins before they deliver? Just curious.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:55 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
Originally posted by ProPain

He told me.. and I quote. "You better start getting on that thing now"

He told me to drive the car hard to teach the computer my driving style right away. Rather than having the computer learn a toned down style of driving.

[/B]
After the break in period disconnect your battery for a couple minutes which resets your ecu then drive it hard.

If this guy hasn't thought of this he's an idiot.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:55 AM

Car Info: Blue STi +Red del Sol VTEC
I think ferrari porshce , all these cars that come with synthetic are broken in at the factory just something i heard no hard fact but i heard more often than not that you should wait till 10k to go synthetic.

Quick Reply: Break in Period