STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

2.5 STi vs 2.0 WRX Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 03 yellow WRX stage 1
So do u know if they have improved on the paint and the dealers stinginess to replace fuc'd up parts that SHOULD be covered under warranty?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:39 AM

I don't even think sti is severely modded, I would say they are two totally different car. cause you guys wouldn't say a forester is a severely modded Impreza, right?
Old 04-17-2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Kevex
I don't even think sti is severely modded, I would say they are two totally different car. cause you guys wouldn't say a forester is a severely modded Impreza, right?

the forrester and the impreza are two different types of cars on the subaru line. the subaru line includes the forrester, legacy, outback, baja, and impreza. now, the WRX is from the impreza line and the STi is from the impreza line as well. the forrester is from the forrester line, which is irrevelant in this situation. the WRX STi is still a WRX but tuned, modified, by STI (Subaru Technica International), which is subaru's tuning company, just like Ralliart is Mitsubishi's tuning company, and Nismo is Nissan's tuning company, TRD is toyota's, etc. to say that the STi isn't a highly modified WRX is pretty pointless because it's still a WRX, why do you think it's called the "WRX-STi". the STi is only saying that it's a WRX tuned by STi.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:39 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Well the STI would be the M3 to the WRX's 330i, but there are a surprizing amount of differences when you start to think about it. Other than the chasis and a few pieces, alot of the car is rather different, especially the engine/drivetrain as we know. But even things like the rear windshield, front bumper, suspension, etc. are all different parts then what come on a WRX, even the interior.

So i think its kind of almost a seperate model, but not entirely
Old 04-18-2003, 10:46 PM
NASIOC Slut

There is no such thing as an "outback" WRX wagon btw. And I would say that the RS/TS would be more like a regular neon than the WRX, the WRX is still the "higher" performing version of the Impreza, while the STI is the flagship performance subaru.

More like the 325i vs. 330i vs. M3, or Sentra SE vs. SE-R vs. SE-R Spec-V, or Audi A4 1.8 vs. A4 v6 vs. S4, or the Lancer vs. Lancer Rallispec vs. EVO, but still all of those are different because the first two are both very simular while the RS/TS and WRX are a bit farther apart on the power scale and the STI is even farther along the scale than the WRX is to the RS/TS... So its still hard to compair.
Old 04-19-2003, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Kostamojen
There is no such thing as an "outback" WRX wagon btw. And I would say that the RS/TS would be more like a regular neon than the WRX, the WRX is still the "higher" performing version of the Impreza, while the STI is the flagship performance subaru.

More like the 325i vs. 330i vs. M3, or Sentra SE vs. SE-R vs. SE-R Spec-V, or Audi A4 1.8 vs. A4 v6 vs. S4, or the Lancer vs. Lancer Rallispec vs. EVO, but still all of those are different because the first two are both very simular while the RS/TS and WRX are a bit farther apart on the power scale and the STI is even farther along the scale than the WRX is to the RS/TS... So its still hard to compair.

what is a lancer rallispec? i do know of a lancer evolution tuned by ralliart, which is what is the best competion to the STi, or if not, better. keep in mind that ralliart is mitsubishi's tuning company like that of subaru's tuning company Subaru Technica International or STi as we know it. this is what the WRX-STi is, basically a WRX impreza base car tuned and modified by STi and i agree, subaru's flagship car.
Old 04-19-2003, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by RichiQY
ralliart lancer is a cheesy version of that base lancer cedia.

w/ 160 hp and some stickers..

Lan Evo is the archirival no doubt about it.

even tho the USDM Evo is a lil short handed

don't you mean the lancer oz-rally, which is basically the lancer cedia w/ oz-rally wheels, and yes, a few oz-rally stickers which is a bit nuts. on the other hand, i'm not quite sure if ralliart has a tuned version of the Evolution yet, which i do think they will bring down in the coming year or maybe the year after that to compete with the WRX-STi. or maybe they might just bring down some stage upgrades from ralliart like suspension packages, engine upgrades, etc. all this would be pending the sales of both the Evolution and the WRX-STi. the games have just begun.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:36 PM
NASIOC Slut

clamdip, meet the ralliart lancer: http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...0/page007.html

And no, its not a super-tuned evo like everyone thought it would be...
Old 04-19-2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by Kostamojen
clamdip, meet the ralliart lancer: http://www.edmunds.com/news/autoshow...0/page007.html

And no, its not a super-tuned evo like everyone thought it would be...

thanks for the info! learn something new everyday.