STi Countdown Perfect place to engage in hot discussions about the upcoming WRX STi. Please post all US WRX STi questions, answers, speculations here

2.5 STi vs 2.0 WRX Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 07:17 PM

Car Info: 03 yellow WRX stage 1
Exclamation 2.5 STi vs 2.0 WRX Engine

Should I put 6speed and mods on a WRX or get an STi? which will save me money? which will be faster? which engine is stronger and can handle more abuse?
Old 04-15-2003, 12:04 AM

i was thinking about just doing a JDM STi 03 (twin-scroll) engine/transmission swap. as for the brakes, i think perrin 4 pots and rear 2 pots should be sufficient, and they're way cheaper than brembos. after that, i should have something close to a STi, maybe not in name, but in performance.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by AbusiveWombat
If you want the speed and handling then get the STI. It will be much more expensive to make a WRX handle and perform like the STi. I don't even know why people ask this question. The STi is not a modded WRX...it has many differences other than stiffer springs and bigger engine. You shouldn't even ask yourself this question because the STi will hold it's value better. The only question mark is the engine...how will it take to mods? On paper it looks really good though.

if the STi isn't a modded WRX, then what is it? just wondering because i know that STi stands for Subaru Tecnica International, which is basically subaru's tuning company. they take the WRX model and modify it to their specs, ex: reinforcing the block, installing forged rods, pistons, crank, upgraded turbo, suspension, brakes, etc. also, giving it the infamous red intake manifold so you know you're driving an STi.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by jaypride
The STI is a SEVERLY upgraded WRX. Beyond what a normal guy can do in his garage.
From talking to guys that have actually driven the sti. Don't think of it as an upgraded wrx. the car is nothing like the normal wrx. doesnt drive like one at all.

think out of the box

Quick Reply: 2.5 STi vs 2.0 WRX Engine