Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Very Stealth V1 Radar Remote Display Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:50 PM

Very Stealth V1 Radar Remote Display Install

I have a Valentine 1 and with it I got the remote display, I didn't like advertising to the folks behind me that I had a radar detector and what it was doing. The problem was where to install the remote display so that it didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

The solution, remove the clock and put the display in where the clock was, (the green face looks like crap anyways with the other gauges all done in red for the 2005 sti.)

Just pull out the clock holder from the dash, remove the clock from the dashboard piece, put the remote display in there, wire it up and you're done.

It even matches the rest of the dash at night and it's not really visible from behind.
Attached Thumbnails Very Stealth V1 Radar Remote Display Install-valentine.jpg  
Old 12-22-2004, 11:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
Wow, great job, I am considering moving my V-1 to that spot from right above the rear view mirror now, that is a really cool setup.

Rush
Old 12-23-2004, 07:29 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
I put my display right in front of the parking lamp switch on the steering column. For mine only I can see mine and the passenger, where is your main unit? Mine is hard to see:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121
Old 12-23-2004, 07:58 AM

Car Info: Red 04 WRX Wagon
Nice, good idea. Looks good.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:23 AM

I put the main unit up above the rear view mirror. Looking at the rear view mirror there is a spot where there is a plastic trim "bolt" of some kind on the ceiling above the mirror and the spacing is perfect. (In my 2002 WRX there was a flip down piece of glare protector I guess it was that went in that spot.) I worry the glare protector coating on the windshield or whatever you call it might decrease the radar detectors range but I don't have a great way to test it and it seems to work just fine in the 2 times it has gone off since I had the car.

I built a bracket by taking a piece of strip aluminum 2 inches wide and about 4 inches long, drilling a big hole to pass the trim bolt head through, then drilling a keyway to slide between the head of the trim bolt and the ceiling. Bend it to the right angle and attach the visor piece using two tiny screws to threaded holes in the aluminum. If I remove it and tuck up the wire you'd never know there was ever a radar detector in the car. Not even the little suction cup marks on the windshield. With the remote display you can't see it from behind and it's tucked up close enough to the ceiling it's very hard to notice, from behind you'd think it was part of the car.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
That's a nice place for it, I believe others have put it there.
Here's what I did with mine, this was only possible because I had the older style display unit without the control **** and it's small enough to fit inside the cluster-
Attached Thumbnails Very Stealth V1 Radar Remote Display Install-v1a.jpg  
Old 12-23-2004, 10:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
good job guys
Old 12-23-2004, 07:03 PM

I had mine on top of the steering wheel in the center before but it stuck out like a sore thumb. With the smaller display off to the side like that it looks nice. I didn't even know they made a display like that, it's actually pretty neat because it's so small.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:34 PM
VIP Member

I have the original remote display which has not been available for some time. In case it isn't obvious to you from the pic, I have it mounted INSIDE the instrument cluster, behind the clear plastic cover.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:07 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
Originally Posted by Mulder
I have the original remote display which has not been available for some time. In case it isn't obvious to you from the pic, I have it mounted INSIDE the instrument cluster, behind the clear plastic cover.

I have the same old style remote (got my V1 in 92') I've also painted everything black except the arrows so it's a little harder to see. When I had it in my RS I got a dash bezel and used a Dremel an in-set it to that:

Old 12-28-2004, 01:49 PM

Car Info: Silver WRX Wagon
Wow, the lower pictures have a newer remote display, is there a mute button??? I'm going to head over the the V1 website and check out the specs. I need to have the mute button near my finger, so my remote display is right above the stereo to the left of the cup holder...
Old 12-28-2004, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

If you want a remote mute button, you can get the remote audio unit from Valentine which has the control **** and switch. I have one, and I remoted the control part and mounted it in the switch blank in the center console (sorry no pic), so all I have to do to mute the V1 is reach down and hit the button.