Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

under seat amplifier?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 04:46 AM

Car Info: Black WRX, stock
I put my amp under the seat, it's really no problem. You do have to close up those vents that would otherwise be blowing on it but there is enough clearance to let the amp cool itself.
Old 12-24-2003, 05:06 AM

I put mine under the passenger's seat. It's a mono, only for the subs. I don't see any reason not to put one under each seat, you just have to be prepared to deal out an a$$-kicking if anybody spills something.

Your strategy is to improve the sound while keeping the dash look stock and I can appreciate that but I think the HU is the biggest difference and you may be wasting your time with this amp. After all, you'll need a step down converter and every time you add another component it will be another area to introduce noise.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:21 AM

Amplifiers don't amplify an already amplified signal. Since our stock units don't have line-level outputs you have to step the signal down from the speaker-level outs to run it into the amp.

Some amps do have speaker-level inputs but that just means they have a converter built in.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:08 AM

I'm running a 4 channel fosgate amp under my driver's seat without anything blocking the vents underneath and I have never had a problem with it overheating or anthing, been in my car for at least 6 months now and I have never had any sort of issue with overheating. My amps were installed by an MECP certified technician too.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:20 PM

Car Info: STI
Originally posted by RicanLynk
hey man, whats up, first off, ima tell u its horrible to throw an amp under the seat, if its a decent amp, then it willdefinately overheat and perform like trash, try to place it in a well ventalited area, best place i prefer would be to the back of your rear seasts in the trunk, therefore when ur cruisin, u pull them down and theyll get direct air whiel your driving to keep them cool and preforming at their max. also , if you seats have sliders, if a metal piece touches it, it will be instand ground, which means bye bye amp. so think twice about wehre you really want it. im a MECP certified technician, thats for car audio installation. email me if you have any further questions.
I'm not trying to be an a** and I'm also not MECP certified but....I have to disagree with this. It's not horrible under the front seats (especially in rexs where there is a TON of space), and a decent amp will not overheat or perform like trash (but a POS might ). And you don't need to worry about shorting things if the install is done right.

I've run amps under the front seats of all my cars and currently have them in my STI. Xtant6.1 under the passenger seat, and 2 Xtant1.1 an Alumapro CAP5 and 2 Boston Z series crossovers under the drivers. Under the seats usually gets more airflow than the trunk, and and is many times cooler especially when you run the a/c.

But than again....I'm no expert