Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Two Q's about subs

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 06:35 PM

Car Info: Impreza WRX 2003
Two Q's about subs

My first question I'm not sure you guys can answer but it would be nice if anyone of you could point me in the right direction to get info for this. I have 2 JL 12' w3V2's in my 03 wrx and for the time being I cant have them in there any more. I have been researching ways to hook them up some how to my home stereo and was wondering if any of you knew how or knew some places were I could read up on it.

My second question is about sub boxes. What type of boxes are you guys using in your suby? For my 2 subs I built a crappy-ported box that doesn’t sound great but it works for now. I am looking to make a new one and was wondering what you guys have, how you like it, does it sound good, etc... All opinions are welcome and thanks for your time.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:24 PM

Car Info: 02 RS
home audio is 8 ohm so if you rewired your subs you should be okay. at 4 ohm you should be okay depending on what type of amp you have in your house. just don't crank it up too loud. also depending on your amp it might be under powered. just watch out for clipping which will fry your voice coils.

if you don't know what you are doing (which it sounds like) build a sealed box. your ported sounds the way it does b/c of the box and tube limitations. i'd stick with sealed box which will give much cleaner bass. the ported will sound louder but not as clean especially if not designed right.

this article from the JL webpage is some good information to get you started if you haven't read it yet.

linky
Old 11-20-2003, 10:44 PM

Car Info: STI
A sealed box will ALMOST always sound best....but often will sacrifice a little max output and usually can take a little more power.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:52 AM

But will a sealed box sound the best in a truck of a suby? I had a killer sealed box in my old ford explorer but it worked real well because it was an SUV and there was no separation between trunk and passenger space like there is in the suby. I just didn’t think it would sound as well but I could be very wrong. I was told that building a ported box would sound the best in a truck with a opening like the suby has that can pass through into the passenger area. hmmm... Guess ill go look up some sealed boxes then, thanks guys. Any other suggestions, comments, or opinions are appreciated.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:51 AM

Car Info: 1998 2.5RS
It should work okay in your home. 4 ohms will be testing pretty much any home audio amp. I used a spare receiver for mine. 2 subs, each DVC wired in series.

Don't forget that these are unshielded so keep it away from the tv. I'd guess at least 5 feet depending on the size of the magnets.

I have used both sealed and ported and prefer the sound of the sealed box (and they are more forgiving to build and are smaller). I will be attempting to mount a pair of 10s in a sealed box firing up through the rear speaker openings in the near future. I'll maybe remount a speaker in the center foe a little rear fill if I can find space. If anyone has done this or has any recommendations please share.

-brad
Old 11-30-2003, 03:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB WRX
I did a port into a BMW sedan and i thought it sounded really good. I built the sub inside of the box and ported it through the top of the box right up to panel above the rear seats so the air would come into the cab. And to finish it off i took a 6X9 grill a put it over to match with the other two 6X9s next to it. I still do like sealed better and if your going to do sealed make sure you have the correct amount of airspace needed for your particular subs and face them in towards the cab but dont put it right up against the seats or you can suffocate the subs space. You only need about 3 inches.-Todd-
Old 12-01-2003, 06:18 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I am going to go look into a sealed box and try to come up with a good custom design.