Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Speaker fit issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon.
you can use your old speakers as a template to make the spacers.. OR theres a guy called "east coast scoobie" or suby?? on nasioc, he sells spacers in various sizes.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:22 AM

The easiest way I can think of would be to use the grills that your speakers come with. Most manufacterers make the grills that come with the speakers to be able to be used as a spacer as well. Just take your grill and pop out the wire mesh screen and flip it over. You can then use that as a spacer.

Another way would be to buy 6.5 inch spacers from any retail store like good guys, best buy, etc. they carry spacers for around $15.

I prefer to make my own outta wood.

The final way to do it and make any size speaker fit would be to unbolt your window tract.(not kidding) and space it out with spacers, or bolt it in deep so that you will be moving the tract further toward the outside of the car. The window will move up in a funny direction but still fit into the tract well and close well. it wont make any funny sounds either.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:16 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
For a cheap and quick way to mount speakers, I reccomend like what another user suggested, make adapters out of the speakers grilles. I made them out of my old JBL 6.5" grilles and they worked perfectly. Just had to drill a two small holes in the door and a few in the plastic ring and I had them in perfectly.
For the back ones, I again took the advice of a poster here and I ripped the plastic off the factory speaker and used it to make an adapter for a set of 4" speakers. Worked perfectly.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:02 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Originally posted by RedBaaron
im putting in mb quarts now. the best way to correct the fitment problem is to custom make a bracket from 3/4" mdf (medium density fiberboard, available at homedepot for 6.25 for a 2' x 4' sheet). mdf is the stuff they make sub boxes out of, its like a sound deadening particle board. anyway, today i did the passanger side speaker, tomorrow im doing my driver side and i will be taking pictures of each step to post for people in the same situation. also i will be posting my cardboard template i used to cut the mdf. the process takes a while but its fun and the sound is definately worth it. only problem i might have is a need for a 4 channel amp. anyway.. good luck. i'll post the process in a day or so.

RedBaaron
When/where are u posting the template?
Thanks.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 1999 OBS
Here is how the spacer look like for the wrx. It is 3/4" mdf
Attached Thumbnails Speaker fit issues-spacer2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2003, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 1999 OBS
Here is a pic of the same 3/4" spacer with an focal 165k speaker
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2003, 01:36 AM

Nice !!! You went all the way on that one.
Old 08-21-2003, 05:24 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
does the door molding fit nively over the top of the speaker or did you remember to cut out the plastic ribbing on the door, so it won't press up against the speaker.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:35 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza Outback Sport
For those of you with speakers made out of wood or MDF, do you anticipate any mold problems in the future? I'd imagine some water would eventually get in there and you'd run that risk. They look very nice and seem like it makes speakers easier to install than my home made spacers but I made mine out of plastic in the fear of mold becoming a problem in the future should they get wet.
Old 08-30-2003, 04:08 PM

Car Info: WRX
I just made up some spacers yesterday, worked great. Used plastic. I have a build report here.

www.tmz.com/wrx/fspeakers.html

Quick Reply: Speaker fit issues