Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

routing through front of carpet: 2004 2.5RS

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 04:54 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX
routing through front of carpet: 2004 2.5RS

Does anyone have pics of or directions to get the passenger side carpet up just enough to get some wires from the front of it to the wire hole under the passenger seat. I am noticing some "plastic bolt thingies" that look like they can just be unscrewed with a flat-head screwdriver. I am just wondering if anyone has done this and has any tips or things to watch out for. I'm going to try to get the wires through by just unattaching the "plastic bolt thingies". If that doesn't work I will have to take the side molding off and I'm a bit weary of doing this because there is a "plastic bolt thingy" at the top of the molding where it attaches to the vehicle where the door closes over it that doesn't have a slot for a flat-head screwdriver. I know that the rest of the molding is just attached to the vehicle with the plastic plugs but I'm worried about the top plastic bolt.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:23 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX
Finished!!!!!!!!!

I got everything rerouted under the front carpet. I'm much happier now with this setup as it's much cleaner. For anyone wondering, the "plastic bolt thingies" were actually these plastic tops for these screws that just come up from the floor board up front to sort of mount the carpet in place. To get them off, I just unscrewed them with my hands!

Once these were off, I popped off that aforementioned molding (where it covers up the carpet) and the "plastic bolt thingy" that I was worried about, just popped right out. It has a clip that came out with it. When reinserting this, you must put the clip in first, then the bolt, to keep the clip from spreading too wide for the hole in the vehicle.

Next, I unhooked the carpet which was held in place by additional clips that were attached to the wiring. At this point, I could actually reach (keeping flexibility in mind, and a helper to hold the wire to where I could reach it) to the wiring hole under the seat. From there, I pulled the wires through.

Now my FM modulator (used for power to the DVD changer) is under the carpet, more up front, kind of underneath where the dash comes down on the right side of the HU. Noone would ever suspect that there is anything here (I want it to look like everything is seamless). Now all of my wires are under the carpet and out of sight!

As some of you may know, I have been considering and working on this project for about three weeks. I'm finally done. For everyone that helped with suggestions, facts, knowledge, tips, and opinions, I thank you so much. You are the reason that I was able to do this on my own. You guys are the best, and this forum rocks. I imagine I saved a pretty penny doing this all myself, too.

Again, thank you all so much! Pics of the end result will be coming soon for your viewing pleasure!