Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

replacing "the big three" wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:27 PM

Car Info: 98 Legacy Outback limited
Question replacing "the big three" wires

hey i was looking online about how to get more power to your amp and it said you can replace three wires to larger size. 1) alternator positive to battery positive, 2) battery negative to chassis, and 3) engine ground to chassis. i was wondering if this puts a strain on any of your electrical equipment or maybe a larger strain on your alternator.

also i have a 98 legacy outback, how many watts total do you think i could run before i need to start making some serious upgrades to my system. right now i am running a four channel 800w and a two channel 420w. i want to upgrade the 420w to like an 800w or 1000w for two 10" subs that are rated for high RMS.

so do you think just replacing those three wires and getting a 1-2 fared capacitor would be sufficient. Or would i need to upgrade my alternator. right now i dont have any problem with my battery dieing and i can run my stereo very load with the car off for like 30 minutes.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Black 2003 WRX Sedan
you shouldnt have to replace any wires when doing a big three upgrade. the wire from the alt to the pos battery should be an addition to what is already there. then just add ground from the engine to the chassis and add a ground from the neg battery to the chassis.
i'd recommend using 4 ga wire and up. this should help with dimming and making sure that energy is flowing as smoothly as possible through your electircal system.
as far as a cap goes, i would skip it and go with an upgraded battery.