Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

re: Which Headunit is good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 01:34 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
In that range you can get some top notch stuff man.

What style do you prefer..what does it have to have.
Passive or amped. Detachable or regressing face plate. Stuff like that.

basically I am a huge huge fan of alpine..I've run a few other brands and at least 4 alpines....always been very pleased with the alpine.

My suggestion..

if you like the regressing idea....I like their larger plate decks...I have a 7987 but for your range I think you'd be stoked on the 7998. I had the standard size of the similar models...the 9815 and it was awesome.

I'd also consider one of the new models if you prefer a standard detachable size...like maybe the 9835.....can get them for around $500. Has like 500 color choices for the deck so it should be able to match up pretty good with the STI.

ALPINE get my top vote.

You can also get a good pioneer deck in that price range. I don't like most of their stuff but their top line head units are quality.

I say no on sony. They have cool features and you could get that one with the crazy screen that you can load your own pictures on but you'll suffer on the sound end a bit. I don't like kenwood either.

Only other one I'd look at is probably the blaupunkt. They don't look the greatest or have the most features but man they sound good. And some of them have auto adjusting systems....you set your EQ....you roll the windows down it will pick up frequency change....less bass or what not...and will raise the levels to put it back to how you had it sounding...great systems.

But yeah.>>

Alpine then pioneer.
Old 04-09-2004, 01:45 PM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
ALPINE ALPINE ALPINE.... then clarion, IMO. Personally I have a Sony deck (which I got to play minidisc), they make a solid product as well.

check out this new clarion... TOUCH SCREEN!
Old 04-09-2004, 01:47 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
clarions sketch me out.

They are so off and on. They made great great products for a long time. I had one I gave to a friend of mine that was awesome. Just simple and great sounding.

But then they went through a few bad years...stuff just flat sucked. And that's continued to a point up until now.

It's give or take with them. Great features. Great sound. But you may very easily get a bad one and to deal with warranty issues which is not fun with them.

But I am interested in this touch screen stuff. I've been waiting on it to get more regular for a while.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
Another vote for Alpine. I've had a few and they are top notch.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:16 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Outback Sport
Don't generalize Sony head units as unreliable because I've had two of their minidisc head units, and the one I have now is pretty nice IMHO:
Sony MDX-8970 (hard to find on searches-rare item)
it has three preamp outputs, the front two have independent adjustable high pass filters and the sub output has its own adjustable low pass filter, and they all have separate level controls. It has a few cool things like voice activation and a thing where you can select where the people are located in the car to optimize sound quality. It sounds awesome (cant remember specs, but the signal-to-noise ratio was something like 98), and it still operates perfectly. Its doesn't have 'fancy graphics' (well I guess it does- An animated dinosaur that dances with the music or 5 other graphic eq displays), but sound quality is definitely not spared.

Sorry, I kinda took that personally since I am a VERY loyal Sony customer (other than car audio speakers and amps, they rule electronics).

[/hijack]

Here's a useful link for your head unit selection http://www.carreview.com/CD%20Receiv...61_913crx.aspx
Old 04-10-2004, 04:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Originally posted by OneManArmy
clarions sketch me out.

They are so off and on. They made great great products for a long time. I had one I gave to a friend of mine that was awesome. Just simple and great sounding.

But then they went through a few bad years...stuff just flat sucked. And that's continued to a point up until now.

It's give or take with them. Great features. Great sound. But you may very easily get a bad one and to deal with warranty issues which is not fun with them.

But I am interested in this touch screen stuff. I've been waiting on it to get more regular for a while.
I had 2 Clarion Pro audio units and had problems with them also but they did put out some good sound (preamp only with good amps and cross over). Clarion was a PIA to deal with, I had to go with no sterio while they fixed it. This was when Pro audio first came out and I wont ever buy another one again.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black pearl sti
I have an alpine in mine and have had no problems with it. Personally i think that sony products are just to much of a crapshoot to make it worth your time and money. I've had some great sony products but i've had some terrible ones. And they always seem to crap out right after the warranty expires.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Aspen White Subaru STI
I have always had pioneer in my cars and never any problems. They have lots of cool features and work great!

Quick Reply: re: Which Headunit is good?