Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Questions about amplifier install.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 04:45 PM

Questions about amplifier install.

I finally broke down and bought a new Alpine Head unit with Ipod interface and a set of Alpine Component Speakers for the front doors. I was able to install everything myself but the components are not getting enough power and now I need an amplifier.

Does anyone know of a good walkthrough with pictures about installing an amplifier in the WRX? I plan on putting it under the passenger seat to power just the front speakers and i'm not sure of the best place to go through the firewall to the engine.

Also when running wire to the crossovers in the door should I bother with trying to run new wire or just splice into the existing wiring in the kick panel that they are already attached to?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:11 PM

Never mind, I figured it out myself. Installing an amplifier basically sucks. I'm surprised the car stereo place only charges 50.00 to do it. Now I have to save up for a sub or acquire a taste for classical music.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:13 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX
amp install

Where did you go through the firewall? Am wondering for future project. Did you decide to get new wire for your front speakers?
Old 05-04-2005, 07:34 PM

through firewall?

Just curious on how to get through the firewall the easiest. Is there a point at which you can just get the wires through a factory wiring grommet? I imagine they make the opening just to accomodate the factory wiring, and it's hard to get any wires through. I am planning a three amp setup, and will need a pretty big opening. I'd appreciate any tips on the best spot for the wires to go through.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:34 PM

Car Info: 2005 Black RS Wagon...stock for now
I know that there's a grommet right under the edge of the carpet beneath the break pedal with a hole wide enough for even the beefiest wiring. When I install my amp. I'd like to pop the grommet out, drill a hole through it, run the wire through the hole and pop it back in. What I'd like to know is how to get that grommet out? Push from the inside out? the outisde in? twist? I'm sure some of you have done this before, anybody care to share?
Old 05-05-2005, 12:06 PM

right on

thanks so much, you rock!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:20 PM

Car Info: Saab 9-2x Aero
Just did all this in my saab 9-2x with 0/1 gauge, and i have an amp under each seat. run power wires down drivers side through hole by brake pedal like suggested. then down the center console with the RCA's and under the carpet to the amps and poke them out the vent hole that's already cut. keep power wires under the carpet too, it's easy. Then, for ground unbolt a seat sand off the paint and attach it to that bolt. Everything in mine was run under carpet and completely invisible, works very well.