Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

question: what alarms are the best?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 11:24 AM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
paid $400. i almost went with a more basic system but I only would have saved $150... I figure over the course of the time I won this car it wasnt worth such a small savings.

the car has a very large range, and the settings on the alarm itself are pretty cool. the pager isnt that big either (though I would have a basic controller but that it what you get when you upgrade to something bigger)
Old 03-31-2004, 11:33 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by dub2w
paid $400. i almost went with a more basic system but I only would have saved $150... I figure over the course of the time I won this car it wasnt worth such a small savings.

the car has a very large range, and the settings on the alarm itself are pretty cool. the pager isnt that big either (though I would have a basic controller but that it what you get when you upgrade to something bigger)
sounds like a good deal...

so for the range... are you getting a signal when inside a building - let's say a mall or movie theater?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:50 AM

doodoo... i am surprised you could follow my pigeon english in my last post!

yeah, range is incredible. it definitely can pick up signals inside a building. think of the range more along the lines of a pager rather than a cell phone.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

LOL - your english isn't bad - I've seen A LOT worse

anyone know of a good compustar dealer/installer in the bay area?
Old 03-31-2004, 01:46 PM

dude, call these guys up:

Eclipse Security 916-728-4867

Ask them if they know of anyone in the Easy Bay, etc., who installs CompuStar alarms
Old 03-31-2004, 10:06 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by MIKEB4583
Becarefull guys, i've heard some not-so-good things about compustar alarms...
like...?
Old 03-31-2004, 11:32 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRB WRX / 06 f150 King Ranch
Even DEI purchashed Clifford it is still better than the Viper line. The Clifford are using better parts e.g. capacitors....than the Viper alarms. That's what the local clifford/viper dealer told me. That's why clifford is still more expensive than the viper and the rest of the DEI brands.
This is a load of garbage. If the Clifford brand is so good, then why did they file for BK 3-4 years ago. DEI purchased all assets of Clifford electronics and left behind liabilities. They are no longer using any of the old platform for all 2003-2004 product. You can still find some old Clifford stuff on ebay and other places on the net. Heck, DEI gave me a Clifford alarm to give to one of my customers to make him happy. The customer was on his 3rd system within a year. Thank God DEI is now building all the stuff the same. Here is a list of brands they sell under the DEI umbrella:

Viper
Sidewinder
Rattler
Python
Automate
Clifford
Avital
Hornet
Wasp
Some stuff for KARR/Prestige/Audiovox
Some stuff for Seco Alarms
Some stuff for Omega/ Freedom/K-9/Excaliber

The List goes on and on. DEI has cornered the automotive security market, and owns world wide patents on most if not all of the unique technology they sell. So, I'd cut through the chase and buy the Viper product. It is the "Flag Ship" of all the lines they sell, and DEI offers the best warranty on the market for all of thier products sold.

Paul...
Old 04-01-2004, 09:52 AM

i think that as long as you get a good warranty and get it installed at an honorable shop youb should be fine with compustar. they are rated pretty high from most of the sources i checked out
Old 04-09-2004, 05:59 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
I just had a Clifford RSX-3.5 system installed in my car...works great!

Here are some things I thought about prior to purchasing this alarm...

1. I did not want my car going off every time a loud exhaust or box went by...I hate false alarms. I did not deactivate my vibration sensor, just turned the sensitivity way down...

2. I wanted a Glass Breakage sensor.

3. I wanted a Dual Stage Radar/Proximity Sensor.

4. I wanted a sensitive Mercury Switch.

5. I wanted a paging system that would alert me of break-ins...will be adding a fuel cut-off switch...already has an ignition kill built in...

The RSX-3.5 does all of this with the extra sensors...I am very happy with my alarm...

I could have had the auto-start added but chose not to for safety reasons in my standard...I would not worry so much if I was the only driver...but all it would take is one brain-fart to mess up your front end or hurt someone...

Brent
Old 04-12-2004, 12:43 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
I have the Viper 690XV not to much orginally had Circuit City install it but recently took it to a stereo shop to have a prox sensor, trunk hooked up and the tilt sensor, and they actually mounted the antenna that Circuit City zip tied under the dash much better now guy did a good job they set the prox sensor how I wanted and I went with a digital tilt sensor if you lean on the windows it gives you a warning...