Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Need FiberGlass Box!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 2004 wrx sti
Need FiberGlass Box!!

Hey who out there can make fiberglass boxs for o4 sti driver side corner and knows what he or she is doing. Its for a 12 " JL W7 and wont charge 800$ for dam box.
Im on the East side on the border of Pa / NJ. thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 11:07 AM

Car Info: 98 Impreza Hybrid
i just moved from east stroudsburg, now i live in south florida. read the below thread. its very informative. but its a very messy process. at least for me it was the first few boxes i made.

also i went to a few sterio shops, and they said they would make me a full trunk fiberglass box for like 400-500. so for a carner sub enclosure shouldnt be that much, plus you get it pro installed

https://www.i-club.com/forums/stereo-security-70/fiberglass-made-easy-128999/
Old 03-25-2006, 11:35 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by stealitall
Hey who out there can make fiberglass boxs for o4 sti driver side corner and knows what he or she is doing. Its for a 12 " JL W7 and wont charge 800$ for dam box.
Im on the East side on the border of Pa / NJ. thanks

We're in the process of designing and building some fiberglass boxes for WRX/STI sedans and wagons. The biggest problem with the W7 is it so damn deep. To get a box to fit it most of the other woofers would have too much air, plus the design/shape goes all to hell when you have to come out so far. Here's some pics of the originals, a 10 and 12 inch for the WRX/STI sedans and then a 10 and 12 model for the wagons as well.
I used to install for a shop and just recently opened my own doing only custom work and I think JL Audio makes great woofers. I've installed a ton of them from the W0's to the W7's and I used to rock 6 10 W6's in my old car but I think the W7 is a little over rated for the price. These models were designed for Diamond Audio's D6,D3, and D1 subwoofers since that's one of the companies I carry. The D6 woofer is 6.2 inches so fitting a W7 probably won't work. If I find there's a huge need for them I might make a deeper model.
Remember what ever woofer you use it's only going to sound as good as the box it's in. When dealing with a woofer as massive as the W7 I would expect to pay a pretty penny for a good box. It has to be strong as hell or it could sound like crap and might just blow apart. I've built them out of 1 inch mdf with a ton of bracing before, I've even used two layers of 3/4 mdf to construct them from. If any part of the enclosure flex's just a bit it takes energy/volume away from the sub. It has to be strong!!

Just thought I would throw my two cents in the mix.

12 inch WRX/STI model

Name:  sedan10640.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  37.3 KB
10 inch WRX/STI model

Name:  wagon12640.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  26.2 KB
12 inch WRX wagon model

Name:  wagon10640.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  33.7 KB
10 inch WRX wagon model
Old 03-25-2006, 05:15 PM

Car Info: 02 Cavy(Soon to have 04/05 WRX)
thats awesome, im going to have 2 12s, do u make one for the passenger side and how much?
Old 03-26-2006, 01:54 AM

Well ok if the w7's are to big whats a good woofer I looked at w6 some say the rockford but Im not sure I mean I looked around on ebay seen **** loads of name brand **** but nothing seems to be moveing like the w7 plus I need something I guess thats going to handle the music I play Im not just 1 type of music person all depends on the day and how I feel rock 1 day techno other. I mean I got money to burn right know just need some ideas on a woofer to get thanks and if you can make a box look like that for good price you got a deal! O other thing whats a good amp I mean all depends on the woofer I guess 1ohm 2,3,4 blo blo blo lol but give me some Ideas thanks
Old 03-26-2006, 03:44 PM

Yeah that's a hard one. I love the old school rockford but not a fan of the new stuff. I actually sell it in my shop but have been using Diamond Audio for all the nicer systems. I compare them to JL, where their entry level equipment is still real good. Most companies entry level sucks, but I've been really impressed with Diamond. If it was up to me it would either be a JL or Diamond.
If you've never had a sub in your car it's hard to tell how much bass you really need. It doesn't take much in a WRX sedan or wagon to get good bass. One decent 10 or 12 running with proper power in a quality enclosure will out play any set of separates, even $1500 Focals. Most people like the bass heavy anyway but you'd be surprised how loud one good quality sub can get. It's too bad you aren't closer to my shop, we have our test bench set up so I can load different enclosures into your car so you can listen in the actuall environment the sub will be in. Most audio shops have you listen to their subs in a room, and they will sound totally different in your car. Every car / truck is different too.
I always like matching equipment, so if you went with JL or Diamond you would be able to get one of their amps as well. It really depends on the sub you choose for power. The best thing is to match your subs needs to your amps output. If you have a sub that can handle 800 watts and an amp that makes 400 max the sub will start to distort before it even gets a chance to get going. Too under powered. You can get a more efficient sub to sound better and louder running with proper power than you can get a massive sub under powered. Remember all amps, like subs, aren't created equall. You pay for what you get usually and all amps don't actually put out the power they claim so go with a good company.
Sounds like you know JL pretty well so here's a couple pics of Diamonds D3 and D6 woofers. Hope this helps!

Name:  d610f.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  9.6 KB Name:  d610s.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  9.0 KB
Diamond Audio D6

Name:  d310f.jpg
Size:  8.9 KB Name:  d310s.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  8.2 KB Name:  d310b.jpg
Size:  8.9 KB
Diamond Audio D3
Old 03-26-2006, 06:13 PM

Thumbs up

Ok well with that how much space does one of them need lot little I mean its a small space and would it get anuff air to play right O 1 more thing does it matter on what angle its faces. Thanks for every thing so far!!! Just looked on Diamond site to see what they had and I seen D9 TDX series are they any good are they any better or should I say with the D6

Last edited by stealitall; 03-26-2006 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
Originally Posted by impreza25rstn
i just moved from east stroudsburg, now i live in south florida. read the below thread. its very informative. but its a very messy process. at least for me it was the first few boxes i made.

also i went to a few sterio shops, and they said they would make me a full trunk fiberglass box for like 400-500. so for a carner sub enclosure shouldnt be that much, plus you get it pro installed

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128999
sweet!
my work has been refranced by some one other than my self!!
Old 03-27-2006, 09:54 AM

The D9's are their top of the line. Great speakers, but expensive. The D6 10 needs .625 cubes, D3 needs .75 I played around with different locations and found either side sounded good. If you were to move the box around and listen you would have a hard time telling much of a difference. You shouldn't have a problem getting the proper amount of airspace. My 12 inch model is around 1.2 to 1.3 and the 10 inch model is close to .7 to .8 so you should be good.