Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Nav systems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '99 Impreza OBS
Question Nav systems?

Who here has a gps in your car? What kind is it? how often do you use it? how do you like it? Anything else about it or about gps'? I'm not sure I'm gonna get one, but it seems to me that they'd fit awesome in that little storage thing on the top of the '99's dash (where some people put the barometer, and where now they have the clock). Has anyone done this? seems like when its closed there'd be no evidence that there's anything there but when its open/on, it would be in the perfect position. Feedback is greatly appreciated, its just tentative right now, so many things I want to do, so little money anyway, thanx in advance
Old 05-04-2004, 09:48 PM
VIP Member

very good, thnx for reply, but it seems like having the screen in the radio din(s) would be much harder to see and use than if it were up on the dash, because of the pocket it would seem to me that it wouldn't be that hard to do. Anyone try this, and still wondering what people have, thanx
Old 05-05-2004, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

yea, i have gps 3+, totally sucks (although not really made for road nav) but I'd want a dedicated unit, if im gonna get one might as well go all the way
Old 05-05-2004, 06:56 PM
VIP Member

your probably right, two points about that tho, If i didn't care about seeing the screen, I probably wouldn't buy a screen, or i'd like the audi. but ur probably right, while driving probably wont look much, and when i do, dins r fine. The other point tho is that i would be willing to bet mounting it where im thinking on the dash would block zero road. My parents just bought a volvo, and although its pretty different, its got a screen on the dash, and it barely blocks any view, and, it doesn't have a hood scoop. To further argue why I doubt it would block a view, the 99 (u probobly have wrx which is different i think) has a glove box there which when opened all the way, is slightly higher than the screen would be, and with it totally open, u can still see the scoop over it. As for how it'l actually work, I'd luv for someone to tell me whos donne it.

Hope I didn't come across negative, that certainly wasn't my intention, and I truly appreciate ur reply, but maybe u culd respond, and stear me right if u disagree, feedback of all kinds is greatly appreciated. Thanx
Old 05-20-2004, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRB Subaru WRX STi
I put a pioneer avic-n1 where the factory performance guage housing goes in my STi... i heard its illegal, but i haven't gotten any problems with the uniforms yet. i had my navi on while going to NY from my place (NJ) and I was at a light next to a state trooper. he didn't say anything... maybe it all depends on the cop. anyway although the avic is pricey, its definitely worth it. i use it all the time.. and the best part is that it is a single DIN. and to use the navi you get cd to put in.. no big deal... i love it.. i reccomend if you got the fat enough wallet
Old 05-21-2004, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 2004 Aspen White WRX wagon
Originally Posted by WRXdrift
I put a pioneer avic-n1 where the factory performance guage housing goes in my STi...
I'm thinking about that deck too.. How much did u pay? I don't want to spend more than $1200-1500 on a deck tho.. Maybe I'll wait..
Old 05-21-2004, 09:19 AM
VIP Member

hows map accuracy? had any problems with it? its touchsreen right? hows the interface? thanx
Old 05-25-2004, 04:20 PM

Car Info: Mr2 Turbo
the kenwood has better picture quality in my opinion than the eclipse. We sell both and ive seen them side by side. The DDX7015 is one of the hottest sellers bundled with the navi. If you want one, shoot me a pm
Old 05-26-2004, 06:49 PM

Car Info: silver 2.5 tr 2006MT wrx
dude save your self the money and get a rand mcnally road map from target. they are like 5 $, put the money into something else, how often do you really drive somewhere that you do not know where you really are? besides we can not be totaly dependent on technology, what did we ever do before cds? fast forward, i guess, serious i am not beeing a diick but spend it else where.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:30 PM
VIP Member

yea, half the time i agree with u, and as stated above, theres a good chance i wont get it. However, i think you use it more around ur own town than when traveling. You go to pick somethin up in a new part of town, and get lost, u run into traffic and want to skip it, etc.

mainly though, i think ur right, its a toy, and not super practical, but toys are fun, and its those times it saves you. Theres certainly been times i wished i had one, and times i couldn've used it. for now tho, i'm taking ur advice, and spending my money on things like a new AC, new clutch, and recently rims :banana: and hopefully a new RSB, but In the future, like when i go off to college, I might get 1... first i'll have to convince my dad its a good present though