Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

My New Sub Box!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 09:01 AM

Car Info: Impreza 1.6 Automatic gear
The more resin i use the better?
Old 02-24-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by silentshadow
The more resin i use the better?
Yeah pretty much. Its what makes your box hard, the only trick is that you need the resin to soak into something. If you just pour it on it will pool and that doesn't help. So yes the more evenly coated resin the better.

-Joe
Old 02-25-2004, 12:57 AM

Car Info: 1
Just out of curiosity, how many layers did you put on your box, and what weight of cloth did you use? (the one i'm using at the moment is marked as 6oz.)
Old 02-29-2004, 07:12 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Have you finished your box yet I am almost done with mine I purposely made it ugly so nobody woulr want to steal it I picked up a JL Audio DVC 10" to put in it just need to pick up a amp got some I've been looking at...Hey wastingtape Progressive audio has them for a good deal..
Old 03-01-2004, 09:05 AM

I haven't finished mine yet. It's been pouring rain here and limiting my already limited space (so i haven't worked on it). I also was scared i'd get humidity between the layers or something and really mess up the laminate. Maybe i'm just worrying to much. :P

Do you have pictures of yours? I want to see. How many layers did you glass? I was thinking of 7 for "maximum strength" (sounds like an ad or something).

PS. i created a page for my box.... http://www.sounddomain.com/id/wastingtape
Old 03-01-2004, 10:08 AM

damn 7? thats hella layers... If you go the many layer route vs. more resin, make sure you dont' get any air bubbles between layers. The air bubbles, i've been told, make multiple layers useless, so get them out.
Old 03-01-2004, 12:16 PM

I only did three layers I purposlely made mine ugly like I said I am painting it today and it will be done later I also live in Oahu on Hickam so we could meet up some time if you want..And yes the rain has slowed me down I also have no room to do it....Painting it with soom camelon paint got it at checkers once paint is dry I have to mount the terminal seal it up and mount speaker and I'm done..Funny when I cut the hole for the sub the supports for the ring were all off glad the glass and resin held it in place. Witht three layers box it really sturdy a lot stronger than I thought but if you think about it smaller boats are not that thick ...
Old 03-01-2004, 06:41 PM

What size/brand woofer is your box for?
Old 03-01-2004, 11:25 PM

JL Audio 10W3V2 10" dual voice coil....
Old 03-01-2004, 11:38 PM

If you press on the side of the box do the walls flex at all?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:08 AM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza WRX
I just bought all of the fiberglassing stuff last weekend, Im puting my 2 - 12" MA Audio XL's in .. Has anyone used anything to reinforce the box, Im just worried that in a sealed enclosure 2800W might blow it apart. I'm also considering a Ported box thats what I have now only with MDF and it sounds good, only problem is I don't quite know How I'm going to port it .. Any Suggestions?
Old 03-02-2004, 08:40 AM

No it won't blow apart, but make sure you have the right volume, if its too small it might blow with the added pressure. Also you have to do more like 5 layers of FB instead of our 3 to make sure.
You can make a ported box. What I would do is make the ported part with mdf. On the back of theat leave some wood hanging out over the edges to fiber glass too. A top view of the ported part might look like this:
_______
| @ |
|___| Note: @ is speaker
Then u fiber glass to the wood thats sticking out instead of a ring.
-Joe
Originally posted by wrx21
I just bought all of the fiberglassing stuff last weekend, Im puting my 2 - 12" MA Audio XL's in .. Has anyone used anything to reinforce the box, Im just worried that in a sealed enclosure 2800W might blow it apart. I'm also considering a Ported box thats what I have now only with MDF and it sounds good, only problem is I don't quite know How I'm going to port it .. Any Suggestions?

Last edited by vapo; 03-02-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:47 AM

well not exactly like that this think won't let you put more than one space in... just add some spaces in the front of the second two lines so its centered
Old 03-02-2004, 11:58 AM

Hey do any of you know where to get the baffels they use for ported boxes? They are the rings the you insert into the port holes so the box looks finished.
-Joe

Quick Reply: My New Sub Box!!