Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

My New Sub Box!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 02:38 AM

Car Info: 1
The first time i saw a fiberglassed box i thought it was really cool. I even bought a book on fiberglassing only to discover it was more about industrial level stuff (like making your own boats). I had shelved the idea until a few days ago, when i was measuring wood for a box and realized i was short.

I wasn't too down with a wood box. My previous attempt was a little rough (i helped a friend). I constantly hear him complaining of whistling noise coming from the box (even though he claims to have caulked it.)

After i saw your post i searched i-club and followed a few of the links and read about the whole process. The wood being short was the final thing that made me decide to try it. At the moment i'm trying to plan out how everything is going to work together, and make sure i've got the details down before i build half a box to realize i forgot something like how the speakers would get wired up. So the answer is, yes, i'm planning on trying this in my very near future.

Btw, if you're wondering, i'm trying to come up with a clever and creative but do-able way to mount two 12" subs and a decent sized amp (about a foot wide or so).
Old 02-22-2004, 11:22 AM

Well if your doing a fiber glass box i usually see ppl doing one in each corner, but i don't know if you want that. As for the mounting of the amp i put mine in the tire well ( with the tire still there). If you want to you can put a piece of plexy over it to show it off too.

One thing I would sugest when you do make it is be sure to strech the fabric over the mold from the trunk very well. It should be tight and no wrinkels, because you won't be able to ever get thoes out after u start glassing. Also hot-melt-glue the fabric down all the way around so there is no chance of a piece of it coming off.

-Joe
Old 02-22-2004, 11:43 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
What kinda of cloth did you use I've heard some people use cotton and fleece just wanting to know what you used...Thanks..
Old 02-22-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by silver satin
What kinda of cloth did you use I've heard some people use cotton and fleece just wanting to know what you used...Thanks..
I used this thick fleece like materal. All that you really need is something slightly streachy that will absorb a lot of resin. So just find what ever's cheepest. For me the fleece was about 3 times more expensive so i didn't use it, but i works great. You want thick because u need the box to be rock hard and thats done by more resin. The fiber glass really adds the tensil strength, but not the hardness needed for the box. With a thick cloth you only really need one layer of fiber glass.

-JOe
Old 02-22-2004, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Thanks I've started the mold already just letting it set-up before I try to take it out. I'm going to put some more glass on the piece that molds to the trunk so it will be nice and strong..Thanks..
Old 02-22-2004, 10:04 PM

Well, i gave this a shot this afternoon. I think it went well. It seemed simple enough. I actually ran out of the fiber cloth material, so it's not fully done. I'll post some pictures of where i got so far.

Here's the trunk, all taped up.
Attached Thumbnails My New Sub Box!!-fg1.jpg  
Old 02-22-2004, 10:05 PM

Just to be on the safe side, i put down a layer of aluminum foil (89 cents at walmart!). It wasn't quite as easy to work with as the tape but it worked.
Attached Thumbnails My New Sub Box!!-fg2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2004, 10:08 PM

Here's the first layer of glass about 1/3 done. The area that's tinted white in the center is where the fiber cloth is. You'll notice there are two cups sitting there. On a batch of resin/hardener i decided i'd mix a little more. Bad idea. It started to gell up with i was only about 3/4 the way through it, and eventually became unusable. Oops. I learned my lesson to only mix 1 to 1.5 oz out a time.
Attached Thumbnails My New Sub Box!!-fg3.jpg  
Old 02-22-2004, 10:09 PM

Ok, last picture. Here's me posing next to my trunk proving i at least tried it.
Attached Thumbnails My New Sub Box!!-fg4.jpg  
Old 02-22-2004, 10:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
really clean look...i like it alot....
Old 02-22-2004, 11:17 PM

Originally posted by wastingtape
Ok, last picture. Here's me posing next to my trunk proving i at least tried it.
good stuff. i can't wait to see how it turns out. Hey whats that wire running along ur trunk? did u wire a trunk pop? if so how does it work, because i put on in my trunk but i still haven't got all the kinks out.

-joe
Old 02-22-2004, 11:26 PM

My car actually came with a trunk pop (handle by the driver's door). I'm not sure if that is the cable used or not. I had planed on turning it into a power trunk pop for use with my alarm but hadn't gotten there yet.
Old 02-23-2004, 08:32 AM

Car Info: Impreza 1.6 Automatic gear
guys what kind of fiberglass did you used? mat or Cloths?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:35 AM

Car Info: Impreza 1.6 Automatic gear
Okay i understand how to do it all but since i live insrael its kinda hard for me to find what i need so if someone could make me a shoping list and let me know where to buy the materials online it will be much appreciated thanks in advance! (got to make this sub box it looks great!).
Old 02-23-2004, 11:49 AM

Originally posted by silentshadow
guys what kind of fiberglass did you used? mat or Cloths?
i used both. mat soaks up more resin but is harder to contour, and cloth takes less resin but is easier to apply.

i don't know a place online, i went to home depot and orchard hardware to get my stuff. But for my one box i used about a gallon of resin and about 3-4 packs of fiber glass.

-Joe

Quick Reply: My New Sub Box!!