Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

JL Stealth Box- Any interest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 08:59 PM

Car Info: Plat Silver '02rs
I molded a custom fiberglass enclosure a couple of years ago that fits into my spare tire and holds a Crystal 10" sub. That way I get to keep my spare and it only raises my trunk floor above the tire by about 1 inch. I could mount it flush but I'd need a lower profile sub- there's no way a W6 or W7 is going in there.....
Old 10-15-2004, 01:51 AM

Car Info: sti wrb
ok this thread has been here for a while, how has the JL audio request come along?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:07 PM

Car Info: sti wrb
Originally Posted by BOOM112
I would def get one if JL offered one. I think an enclosure for a 10 inch would be nice. And def put a w6 or w7 woofer in it!
i dont think they are going to make anything with that large of a magnet enclosure. i would get it too but it seems like they are going to make them with the smaller type such as the w3.

again how is the box fabrication comming along from jl?
Old 10-18-2004, 02:49 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Hello All, I have not forgotten about this thread and I am not letting JL forget about it either. Several times now I have forwarded the links to my contacts at JL and I think there is some interest. They were discouraged at first because of the perceived demographic that drives our great cars (They confused us with Honda owners). Anyway, I will print all these posts and take them with me to CES in January when I talk JL in person. I will be seeing the person in charge of the Stealth Box program as well as several other important people.
Thanks for all the input and please dont stop with the good feed back.

Later
Scott
Old 10-18-2004, 09:09 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

here's what JL needs to design:

a model that will sit into the sparetire compartment. but they need to do 2 versions.

1 without the tire and another with the tire.

there is soo much room with the spare tire (granted, i'm talking about the STi and the spare donut they have in there.

another version is a left side design. i have seen a few custom made enclosure that fit where the jack is. of course you loose that pocket and carry the jack somewhere else or leave it at home. pluse make the enclosure EASILY removeable so during track days, they are in and out in like 10 minutes...

lemme know... i'm heading for CES 2005 too...

btw, what and where is your shop?
Old 10-19-2004, 12:32 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX wagon
one for a 02 wagon that fills in the hole were the jack sits at it would be prefect in a 10 or 12in size
Old 10-22-2004, 11:48 AM

Cmon Jl

DO IT! I have an '04 wagon, and I just want a solution that will fit over the spare tire that will big enough for an 8" or 10" woofer. That would be awesome. The biggest problem with the wagon is that it's hard to make it a stealth installation. We don't want the woofers hanging out for everyone to see (and steal.)

JL Should know that the WRX stock stereo is a big joke most people who like music will replace it, and there are probably many more people out there that would be interested in a 'plug and play' solution for a sub.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:18 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Here is my work in progress, all the is left is to carpet the box but im lazy. =(

http://www.slakin.net/SubBox/
Old 11-01-2004, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 2002 Black WRX Sedan
mcdrama, I think there are lots of sedan owners interested in boxes that save trunk space. It looks like you are pretty good at fabricating so I am sure you would have lots of buyers if you wanted to make them.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:19 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
wow, thanks man! That was the first sub box I have ever made.

I have thought about making a mold that would allow me to easily replicate the work without too much trouble and sell them.
JL Audio has the materials for making professional fabrications which could probably be done for about $1000 if you shop around.

What kind of boxes are people most interested in? Spare tire replacements, fenderwall boxes(like mine), or something to mount against the back seats?

--Matt
Old 11-01-2004, 05:20 PM

Car Info: 2002 Black WRX Sedan
I am not sure what everyone else is most interested in but I don't want to lose the back seat passthrough (box against the back seat) or lose my spare tire, so I would be interested in a fenderwell box.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:46 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
I would definetely consider a stealthbox in my '00 RS if the price seemed fair. Considering my back seat does not fold down, I think I would prefer something that backed against the back of my rear seat. I think you get great bass response in that position if you are using a sealed enclosure. a single 12 inch would be nIce

Quick Reply: JL Stealth Box- Any interest?