Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

IPOD and FM modulator (or is there a better solution?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 06:11 AM

Car Info: 98 RS
I have used the iTrip in the past. Yesterday i returned it for the 3rd time and got a new one. It just stopped working 2 hours later? Dont know why? I'll try to wire up to my AUX in my car now.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:31 AM

at CES this year Pioneer announced they are adding an iPod adapter like the Alpine one, and also a new double din version of the AVIC-N1 .. that would probably be sweet in the WRX.

flat broke - does your modulator connect into the radio using the antenna plug and then the antenna plugs into it, or is it still a transmitter? i always wondered if the wired into the antenna type of fm modulator worked well ..
Old 01-11-2005, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 05 WRX wagon, Stock... for now
The modulator in my WRX is the type that sits inline on the antena feed right before the head unit. The signal doesn't have to fight all the other junk in on the airwaves like an iTrip which has to broadcast to your antena with less wattage then the rest of the stuff floating around on the airwaves. The sound is good but not great. Honestly, it seems almost equal to a tape adapter (had one of those on my last car for my old NetMD for long trips)

Something else that I thought of was that I should have waited on my Ipod install. I want to put in a good 4 channel amp that also has line level inputs to drive some Kappas or Perfects. At that point, I could just wire the Ipod directly to either the RCA inputs on the amp, or piggyback it onto the line level inputs if the amp auto senses connectivty and shuts down the unused input. But if you're gonna roll without an amp, the FM modulator that i used works pretty well. You just have to understand that if you upgrade your factory speakers you'll start to notice the loss in sound quality over a direct connection to the amplification source in your vehicle.

Chris
Old 01-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Car Info: 05 White STi
i bought a clarion head unit for my 05 sti and i use a rca connector to the unit because it has a aux. input. works out really well i have a 12v outlet under the passenger seat to charge the ipod also. beware of the belkin 12v charger that uses the dock connector, ive had 2 melt down and 2 friends had the same thing in different cars.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Notes on modulators.

I noticed that you should not have your Ipods volume up too far.

About 3/4 is enough, anything more and you will start to get distortion and interference.

Once I realized that, I hardly notice any sound degradation.

The only thing I do not care for is the "cup holder" and the visible wires all over the place.....
Old 06-08-2005, 09:49 AM

monster cable makes an fm transmitter that will charge your ipod at the same time, has anybody tried this, i am curious as to how goood it works. Also, on scoobymods.com there is a thread that outlines how to hardwire your ipod to your stock tape player. This does require you to have a 'fake' tape playing in the tape player but it allows you to get rid of all the wire running to the front of your stereo. I wouldnt reccomend doing in unless you fully understand what your doing, and are capable of doing it, as you will probably really screw up your stereo if you mess up.

how do the fm modulators differ from the transmitters?

i posted this in another thread, but for those of you struggling with the volume setting on your ipod go here: http://www.sendstation.com/ ,see if that will be compatible with your setup.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:40 AM

Ive been running XM into my Boss headunit over the aux jacks for quite a while, also have had some friends mp3 players pluged in (none of them were ipods) and they all sounded good, if your deck has the aux inputs i would give that a try.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by xenophobe2020
monster cable makes an fm transmitter that will charge your ipod at the same time, has anybody tried this, i am curious as to how goood it works. Also, on scoobymods.com there is a thread that outlines how to hardwire your ipod to your stock tape player. This does require you to have a 'fake' tape playing in the tape player but it allows you to get rid of all the wire running to the front of your stereo. I wouldnt reccomend doing in unless you fully understand what your doing, and are capable of doing it, as you will probably really screw up your stereo if you mess up.

how do the fm modulators differ from the transmitters?

i posted this in another thread, but for those of you struggling with the volume setting on your ipod go here: http://www.sendstation.com/ ,see if that will be compatible with your setup.
I just purchased the 2nd gen Monster iCarPlay with the three presets and charger cable. Compared to the previous Monster car product, this is much better. It doesnt rely on your iPod's volumn to be half way or three quarter set inorder to broadcast through the FM. ( I found the iRiver would just shut off for no reason because of this) I have tried iRiver, Belkin (Too many cables dangling), itrip and so far this is the best of them. Keep in mind, as all FM modulators go.... You will get some static that's why having multiple stations to choose from helps. THe old Monster FM modulator had only 6 or 8 preset in the 88.1-89.2 range. If you commute through Berkley to SF, good luck. I find that 107.1 is good for the SF area and 88.3 is not too bad for Solano county.
iTrip has a new unit out called the itrip Auto. Havent seen any reviews on it, but uses the same layout as the Monster product, but no presets. Not sure why they went that route. You can get the Monster powerFM cable at Amazon or 56 bucks free shipping. BTW, I use this in a hybrid Civic which is awful for FM Tuners. Works pretty good in the Bimmer.