Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

IPOD and FM modulator (or is there a better solution?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
IPOD and FM modulator (or is there a better solution?)

Hey all,

I got a 30gig IPOD for Xmas and I want to use it in the car. I was wondering what the FM modulator users had to say about their setups, or what solutions you were using to play and mount this cool little toy.

How is the sound quality going FM?

I would prefer not to go to a casette adapter as I don't want wires running all over my car. My next choice would be updating the head unit and all.
Also, what kind of a mount are you using?

This is what I might be purchasing.

Thanks for you input..and happy New Year!
BrianTHis
Old 01-01-2004, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
Uh...link got posted to far down! Here it is:

http://www.everythingipod.com/sugges...tarq=YES&max=1
Old 01-01-2004, 08:37 PM

Car Info: 2003 Black WRX
I just got this yesterday. I just tried it out this morning and it works really well. It sounds good for a FM Modulator. Obviously it isn't a direct RCA connection so there is some degredation in quality but it sounds like the clearest of the clear FM channels.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:41 AM

i use this belkin auto kit - it plugs into the lighter and charges the iPod through the dock connector and gives you a headphone out jack on the lighter plug which i run into something like this mobile tape adapter - the iTrip looks like a good solution if you arent going to want to plug the iPod in and keep it charged up .. i want to pick one up for when im in other cars but nobody has them in stock right now.. (trying to use local store credits) ..

the tape adapter is supposed to sound much better than an fm modulator - i dont have both so i cant compare at this time ..
Old 01-29-2004, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by RonaldWRX
the tape adapter is supposed to sound much better than an fm modulator - i dont have both so i cant compare at this time ..
The problem that I have found with tape adapters is that after a amount of time, the tape adapter trashes the tape deck. I am going to be replacing my head unit with an Alpine head unit next monday and plan on directly wiring the sucker in.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:06 AM

yah .. and you get that annoying tape running noise too. I am planning on getting one of the new Alpine iPod ready head units when they are released later this year ..

ALPINE DEBUTS WORLD'S FIRST CAR AUDIO HEAD UNITS THAT ALLOW TRUE INTEGRATION WITH iPod
TORRANCE, Calif, January 6, 2004 -- Alpine Electronics of America, Inc., the industry-leading manufacturer of high performance mobile electronics, will demonstrate at CES the world's first solution that enables consumers to connect and control their iPod from their in-vehicle sound system. Alpine's iPod Ready strategy is part of the company's overarching mission to create innovative in-vehicle electronics that are easier to use and provide great sound in the mobile environment.
"The integration of iPod control into selected 2004 Alpine in-dash receivers addresses the growing market of portable digital audio device users who want a safe and easy-to-use solution for playback in the car." said Stephen Witt, Alpine's vice president of Brand Marketing.
With a simple one-cable connection, iPod users will be able to operate key playback features from the Alpine receiver's buttons and have display of playlists, album, artist and songs on the head unit. The iPod can then be safely stored in the glove box or console because it acts like a portable hard drive connected to the head unit through Alpine's powerful Ai-Net system bus. The Alpine connectivity solution also provides charging of the iPod's internal battery.
"Alpine's iPod Ready in-dash receivers will allow iPod users seamless control of up to 10,000 songs easily in their car," said Stan Ng, Apple's Director of iPod Product Marketing. "Being able to display song information and browse the iPod's entire music library right from the Alpine head unit makes this a superior way to enjoy non-stop music in the car."
Alpine has engineered a unique interface box that takes advantage of the iPod Accessory Protocol allowing audio, track information, and control signals to be communicated over the Ai-NET system bus to the in-dash receiver. This seamless integration provides emulation of the iPod's controls through an Alpine head unit using both the front panel buttons and the wireless remote control.
Alpine's iPod Ready Interface kit will be available later this summer through Alpine authorized retailers. To receive more information on the Alpine iPod Ready receivers, consumers may send an e-mail to ipodready@alpine-usa.com

sounds pretty sweet to me ..
Old 02-01-2004, 12:09 PM

yah it does look cool, but unfortunately it says:

The ultimate iPod car connector kit for Legacy with DC632 radio. This interface is not compatible with Outback or Impreza (WRX) models.

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...tegory_Code=IA
Old 02-04-2004, 12:27 AM

I just switched from using the iTrip to having a direct RCA in to my new Alpine Head Unit. I must say that there is an amazing improvement in the sound quality. To anyone on the fence about using a FM Modulator vs. buying a new head unit and using the aux input, go for the aux input....
Old 01-05-2005, 04:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
I had the alpine head unit and it just wires in with a small chip so now I can control the I-pod through the head unit. I really like it and it beats the crap out of any of the FM modulators.

Rush
Old 01-05-2005, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
I have mine hardwired in through AUX jacks in the back of my head unit. It also looks like Pioneer and Audiovox are also getting units similar to the Alpine iPod interface, so more options are coming up. Since I already have a Pioneer deck, I'll most likely get their iPod interface, rather then a whole new Alpine deck (like I was planning on).

As for the stock stereo, I don't know. For anything better then an FM Modulator, you'll need either an AUX jack or CD-Changer controls, and I don't think the stock stereo has either of those.

There are supposedly "better" FM transmitters out there, they are kind of hardwired because they splice into the antenna cable, but they will still run into the same problems of FM interference and FM quality (which is lower then CD, though barely noticable if you have a clean signal). Interference can be limited a little, if the FM Modulator is smart enough to block out the antenna pass-through when it senses audio coming from your iPod.

Also, if you have a tape deck, I think a good tape adapter sounds beter then an FM modulator.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:17 PM

pioneer announced their iPod connection for all their headunits ...

from press release
:The CD-IB100 interface is backwards compatible with Pioneer car stereos sold over the past several years. When it's connected, it enables users to access the contents of their iPod through the stereo's front panel controls. Depending on which Pioneer head unit you have installed, the system will display up to eight character lines of text including album, artist and song names, with more information available to scroll. The adapter also charges the iPod once it's connected. Select 2005 Pioneer audio video units also offer multi-line displays and list search capabilities.

also, clarion announced one a while back
(japanese site link)
http://www.clarion.co.jp/news/041202/index.cfm

the alpine one looks ok, but i have heard complaints if you have a lot of playlists/artists to get through it doesnt display them all etc .. icky
Old 01-05-2005, 11:38 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX wagon, Stock... for now
For the folks that want/need to keep the factory HU, here is a copy paste from a similar thread https://www.i-club.com/forums/stereo-security-70/add-line-stock-head-79812/

My commentary on a true FM modulator(not transmitter) install....

The 05 WRX head unit does not have the 13pin plug that the Forester HU has. Sooo, I had to opt for the FM modulator. Clean install, with only the 3.5 mini plug poking up through the lower center console. Tapped power off of pin 10 on the stock HU plug, and ground off the same ground that is going to the chasis of the HU. That should eliminate any feedback loops. I used a portable CD player to test (my iPod wasn't available) and it sounds pretty good. We'll check it tomorrow with the iPod.

For reference I used a Farenheit PLL (phase loop lock) FM Stereo Modulator PN EFM-01. $39 from Good Guys, an inexpensive RCA 6' minjack-male RCA $4.99, and (2) wire taps. After a near miss on scratching the center plate with a taped screwdriver, I switched to an assortment of plastic kitchen spatulas to pry the required interior panels.

First you pull out the ash tray. Then you unscrew the shift ****. Next you pry up the trim ring around the shifter boot, disconnect the plug going into the cigarette lighter, and remove that portion of the console. You then unscrew the two screws under the arm rest and up where the lower center console meets the dash(right under the shifter boot plate you just removed). The last portion of disassembly is to remove the center plate that houses the HU and HVAC controls. There are two screws at the bottom and the rest of the assmebly clips in. Carefully pry it loose up top on the sides and it will come loose. Then gently move it to the side (I didn't disconnect the HVAC controls) while you remove the 6 phillips head screws securing the HU to the interior. As you pull out the HU, you'll notice a nice little cubbie hole where you can mount your FM Modulator without any interference in fitment from the HVAC controls or the HU. You can either tap your 12v swtiched lead on the cigarette lighter, or on pin 10 of the factory HU loom (if I rememer correctly its the yellow wire with a green stripe). http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/at...tachmentid=1961. I pulled the ground off the same lead going to the chassis of the HU in hopes to avoid a ground loop situation. I think that so long as I don't use a 12 charging aparatus for the iPod, this should be fine. If I DO pickup a hum when using a car charger, I would tie a ground from the cigarette lighter to the ground on the HU chassis.

I'm in the LA area and used 89.5 as my station to transmit on, and it seems to work fine. It sucks that I had to shell out a little coin for an adapter with less than perfect sound quality; but because the Alpine HU that I'd prefer to have in the car would most assuredly intice one of the local thugs to smash and grab, I felt that compromising on the quality of sound was a prudent manuver while my parking situation is in its present state.

Final thoughts on the FM modulator.

Its in and working just fine. With the factory speakers the sound quality is as good as a CD. The ONLY thing that didn't turn out smooth about the whole deal was that I have to turn the volume up about 4 positions higher when running the modulator/iPod Mini than with CD/Radio. Other than that, the install is completely stealth, sounds good, and was well under $100. My only problem now is figguring out which artists to use my 4 gigs on

Chris

Quick Reply: IPOD and FM modulator (or is there a better solution?)