Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Installed 2x Infinity 60.5cs Components with stock WRX HU..

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2004, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Installed 2x Infinity 60.5cs Components with stock WRX HU..

I have an '01 RS coupe with a '02 WRX 6disc head unit. This last weekend I installed a pair of Infinity 60.5cs components in my front doors, and the woofers + crossovers in the rear deck. The speakers work GREAT with the head unit, they sound really clean and clear with no distortion except with certain CDs at MAX volume. Great setup, and good to upgrade-as-you-go since they work well with the stock (high powered) headunit, but will also be great with aftermarket units.

Just wanted to report my findings.

-Jacob
Old 12-29-2004, 10:51 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I got some 6.5" Inifinity components for the front, and 6.5" 2-ways for the back.

Last night I made the front spacers from 1/2" MDF, sanded them down, silicon on door side, then used silicon to mount the cross over above the lower rear corner of the panel.

Tonight I am gonna put in the drivers side speaker in and run even more wire.
Though I think I will go by fry's and get some different connectors.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:11 AM
VIP Member

I have a pile of connectors that work perfectly with Infinity speakers. Got them at Orchard for ~$2. I used Monster sheilded household wire - the white kind that's the size of an extension cord. Worked well and was very easy to route. Don't forget to zip-tie the wire to the back of the drivers otherwise the wire will touch the window and eventually pull out.

Isn't 6.5" huge for the back doors on the WRX? Also, I used all the stock peices to mount the woofers and tweeters up front in the RS. Just had to do a lot of Dremel work on the woofer mounts, but it works great.

Just did a whole system in my roomie's Hyundai as well. Kenwood HU with Infinity kappa Components front/rear. Silly.

-Jacob
Old 12-29-2004, 01:52 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Don't forget to zip-tie the wire to the back of the drivers otherwise the wire will touch the window and eventually pull out.
The spacers are so the windows doesn't touch the speaker. ;x
Old 12-29-2004, 02:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mcdrama
The spacers are so the windows doesn't touch the speaker. ;x
You misunderstood.. The speaker terminals aim directly rearward, so if you simply plug in the speaker wires and leave them, there is a great chance they will touch the window (the wires, NOT the speaker). The soft rubber on the Monster wire I was using has great "traction" on the window surface, so it tugged (lightly) on the speaker plugs when the window goes up/down. Maybe this is silly, but I like to install it all so I don't have to mess with it down the road.

Using my stock rings, even with the rediculously huge Kappa woofers, the speaker was still about an inch from the window, which is plenty. No need for spacers. Maybe the WRX is different since this was on my RS coupe.

-Jacob