Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Hiding amps in a 5 door hatch.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:20 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Hiding amps in a 5 door hatch.

Does anyone know were there is ample hidden space in the car for amps?

I want to get two amps, one 4-channel amp for the doors and a mono amp for some subwoofers.

The amps I am looking at measure 18"x11"x3" and 16"x11"x3", I originally wanted to mount them under the front driver and front passenger seat, but after consulting with a measuring tape, that's a no go. If worst comes to worst, I can mount the amps on the subwoofer box, but I would like to avoid having the amps visible.

I am thinking about going under the rear seat or hollowing out some of the styrofoam under the rear deck and mounting there. Does anyone know if there would be enough space/ventilation at these locations?

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

- Jourdan
Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
Since I am not super familiar with your car (09) I can't directly answer your question but if you can share some info as to what gear you are planning to use, I might be able to give you some suggestions as to how long it might play with limited cooling.

I might also suggest looking at some smaller amps like the XXD or KS amps from ARC Audio. The XXD amps are a great value and should fit underneath the seats. They also don't develop much heat thanks to their Full Range Class D design and don't pull much power from the charging system either (So no dimming lights). I really like the XDD4080
(80X4 @ 4 ohms and 120X4 at 2 ohms) and the XXD1500 (500 watts at 1 ohm).

They both measure the same at 9 1/4 X 7 1/8 X 1 7/8 tall and can be stacked if needed.

I prefer the amps under a seat if possible because they are hard to steal there and usually get adequate cooling.

http://www.arcaudio.com/productdescr...es/xxd4080.asp

http://www.arcaudio.com/productdescr...es/xxd1500.asp

They are also a local company (Modesto) with a strong dealer network in the Bay Area. Let me know if you need a recommendation of a dealer as I'm the rep and would be happy to suggest some near you.

Thanks
Scott
Old 12-29-2009, 12:47 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

I have been thinking about getting something smaller, but I am pretty much dead set on these.

I want to have a single brand system and the brand I have chosen is Polk. The only downer about Polk stuff is that, although it all sounds really good, their stuff takes up a lot of space.

One of the amps is a Polk Audio PA500.4, 500 watt 4-channel amp (90 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms) The plan is to hook it up to the 4 Polk Audio db series 6.5" 2-way speakers (db651) in the doors.

The other amp is a Polk Audio PA1200.1, 1200 watt mono (1200 watts RMS x 1 at 1 ohm). The plan is to hook it up to two 12" Polk Audio db series DVC subwoofers (db1240DVC) wired in parallel.

The system is going to be kinda powerful.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:39 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Bump for ideas.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
There isn't a good place to hide big equipment like that in a small car. I understand wanting to go with one brand, but you seriously limit your options. I'd worry more about matching speakers and then matching signal separately if you're overly concerned. Don't take this the wrong way, but IIRC you're using Polk because you got a killer deal on component mids and highs, right? They're good speakers, but limiting yourself to one brand on signal because you got something else cheap seems shortsighted. I think of Polk speakers being good, but amps from a speaker outfit are more of a marketing excercise IMO when there are other options out there that do nothing but make amps.

As far as locations, I'd start looking for something at will work under the front seats instead of trying to overly mod the car to fit big amps - the amps you describe are monsters and are meant for more of a display installation. Hollowing out the rear seat is a bad idea- you're going to have weight on it, and you don't want anything heating up under a foam rubber blanket.

As far as the rear, I'll have to take a look at the floor under an '08 hatch - my wagon has enough space to run almost any single amp under the load floor in the rear above the spare (no ventilation), and I've done so with a number of different sub amps with no cooling issues because I wasn't asking a lot of them, just a single 10" or 12". Adding the 4 channel to the mix is an unknown- I never had thermals but you might have issues with too much gear back there.

For what it's worth, I run pretty cheap amps (I've got a few old Alpine MRV sub amps that won't die) because I'm not an audiophile - they're not quiet cars so I don't try to reinvent the wheel, just turn up the volume a bit. I treat any of the hardware in the wagon as disposable, because the car itself gets so much abuse; I'm not putting $$$$$ into the hauler.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:58 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
"I think of Polk speakers being good, but amps from a speaker outfit are more of a marketing excercise IMO when there are other options out there that do nothing but make amps."

Well said...The Polk amps are actually re badged DEI amps that are simply rebadged generic Chinese amps. Doesn't make them "bad" they just offer a different kind of value. I mentioned the ARC amps because they have a value in the technology they bring to the table. ARC Amps are all designed by Robert Zeff (Of Zapco fame) and are considered by many to be some of the best sounding amps ever.

The XXD's are a new type of full range digital amp that generates very little heat and can run at up to 90% efficient. Best part is that thay are small and of the amps using this technology, one of the best priced per watt.

Cheers
Scott
Old 01-03-2010, 04:07 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

I am not choosing Polk simply because I got a killer deal on a set of their speakers. The plan has always been to go with Polk, even back when I had the Outback. I saw the deal and since they are on the list I jumped on them. One of the nice things about having a list and not getting everything all at once.

I think I will be mounting the amps on the sub woofer enclosure. I am hesitant to cut into the car and ventilation is a concern because I will be asking for a lot out of these. With them mounted on the box, I won't be modifying the car and they will get the best ventilation.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Makes sense. Do what works for ya; I'd figure out another way to do it just so the sub box can come out if needed. You could always go for a semi-hidden/enclosed amp-rack with active ventilation on the box itself, depending on how you install them.