Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Help, installed new cd player, now some gauges/backlights are out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:36 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5 RS
Question Help, installed new cd player, now some gauges/backlights are out!

So I installed a new Kenwood CD player, and now 2 of the 3 gauges that are in my mid dash are off and the backlight for all three went out. I'm not exactly sure what these gauges measure, but the one that measure pressure still works. However the other two, the voltage/power one and the temperature one, do not work at all. ALso, the backlight for all three of these gauges is completely out. WHat also went out was the status light for my foglights (the light on the button) and one of my actual fog lights are out. I did notice that there were three wires spliced into the wiring of the factory bracket but b/c of the looks of them I thought they were wires for a stereo system that may have been installed and taken out by a previous owner. Could these be the wires that are powering the guages and backlight of the gauges? I did notice that the three wires that were spliced into the old bracket wiring happened to be red, black and blue I believe (which made me think power, ground, and remote cabling for a amp) Any have any thoughts/ideas/knowledge on this?????
Old 11-22-2004, 02:25 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

what car, year?
Old 11-22-2004, 05:06 PM

2000 Impreza RS
Old 11-22-2004, 06:35 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

simplest: check a blown fuse(s) for all the gauges not working or lighting up

hardest:... see above... lol...
Old 11-22-2004, 08:36 PM

fuses look alright :-/

I checked the Fuses in both in the inside of the car and the ones under the hood. All seem to be o.k. I did notice when I Popped the hood that an additional power cable had been hooked up to my battery, and in my trunk is a bracket of some some sort with a tag reading something that included the word Bazooka, and along with the bracket there are female RCA cable plugs. This leads me to my next question, Was there any stock system from Subaru that included a bazooka bass tube? Also is there any other locations for fuses? (other than the main fuse box under the hood, and the fuse panel behind the stash compartment beside the steering wheel?) Im clueless as whats causing these power outages.. the only i can think of is that they were using a power supply from my radio, hence the three wires that were originally spliced into the wiring of my stock stereo... but i have no idea this is random guess...
Old 11-24-2004, 03:10 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

i started with an 02 wrx but i never heard of a bazooka as OEM or even a dealer add-on.

check out scoobymods.com and see if there are any wiring diagrams for your RS.
Old 11-24-2004, 11:08 AM

I just decided i am going to put my old stereo back in and see if the lights and gauges return on.
Yes its really wired b/c i would have just figured a previous owner installed a system, but when i saw the bracket in the trunk it was unlike any sub hookup i have ever seen, and the rca outputs were wired in with the same wires attached to the bracket. Does anyone know if Bazooka Bas tubes are run on a bracket clip rather than the normal wire setup of an amp and box?
Old 11-24-2004, 02:39 PM

Ok Ive got some promising news:::::

i put my stock radio back in and all the mid dash-gauges and backlights for the gauges that had been out, immediatly came back on...
So It looks like my hypothesis was possibly right: the three random wires that were spliced into wiring of the factory bracket did have something to do with my mid dash gauges going out.
And actually i was wrong about there being 3 wires spliced into the wiring on back my stock radio. THere is actually 5, One red, Two Black, One yellow, and one white(w/bluestripe)

Now I just need to figure out which wires I need to splice these 5 wires into.
Anyone else run into this prob when hooking up a new stereo??
Old 11-24-2004, 04:23 PM

Car Info: 5.4RS
ok here is the color code wires behind the dash
blue\red-12v batt
yellow/grn-ingnition
black-ground
white/yellow-illumination
brown/white-L/F speaker +
green-L/F -
red/yellow R/F +
white\blk R/F -
red\blk L/R +
white\red L/R -
red/white R/R +
blue/yellow R/R -
Old 11-24-2004, 04:25 PM

bazooka tubes never came with subarus so its after market....the wires should going to a black plug that plugs into the bazooka
hope that helps
Old 11-24-2004, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ds baruuuuu
blue\red-12v batt
yellow/grn-ingnition
black-ground
green-L/F -
red/yellow R/F +
white\blk R/F -
red\blk L/R +
white\red L/R -
red/white R/R +
blue/yellow R/R -
Nice this def helps, Thanks very much!!
Old 11-24-2004, 08:41 PM

bazooka tubes never came with subarus so its after market....the wires should going to a black plug that plugs into the bazooka
hope that helps
Ah IC. So does that mean that the bracket will go to a bazooka tube that has an internal amp?
Old 11-25-2004, 10:01 AM

yep
Old 11-27-2004, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by skrapps00RS
the three random wires that were spliced into wiring of the factory bracket did have something to do with my mid dash gauges going out.
And actually i was wrong about there being 3 wires spliced into the wiring on back my stock radio. THere is actually 5, One red, Two Black, One yellow, and one white(w/bluestripe)

Now I just need to figure out which wires I need to splice these 5 wires into.
Anyone else run into this prob when hooking up a new stereo??
These 5 wires that are spliced in, are actually spliced into black wires. these black wires are attached to a white bracket and on the other side of the bracket is these wires that ds baruuuu explained to me.
blue\red-12v batt
yellow/grn-ingnition
black-ground
green-L/F -
red/yellow R/F +
white\blk R/F -
red\blk L/R +
white\red L/R -
red/white R/R +
blue/yellow R/R -
So i am kind fo lost here, b/c i cannot differentiate all these black wires, also I am not sure where to splice in the "5 wires" that power my mid dsash guages. I know that the red one prolly should be attached to the 12vBatt power, the 2 black ones to the ground, and the yellow to the illumination but where do i splice the White w/blue stripe wire to??
Another question i have is, Does it matter if I splice my "5 wires" in after the bracket(to the color coded wires), even though in the stock setup they were spliced in before the bracket (to the black wires)?

I know these are confusing questions,,, I guess what would really help is,
"Has Anyone Run Into this issue when hooking up a new stereo in their 2000 RS???"
I keep thinking someone must know how to solve this b/c I cant believe that I would be the first to have to figure this out!!!.... Maybe my car is the only one out there that has this sort of wiring issue/situation!

My next step is to charge up my digital camera batteries tonight and take some pictures of the stock setup and how/where the 5 wires are spliced in.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:07 AM

Ok, so I'm finally back online Woo-Hoo!!!! (just moved and got new high speed inty)
Anyway, Im still encountering this issue with my car. Currently I have my stock radio in, the only reason that my stock radio is in and not my nice kenwood deck is b/c the gauges are back to working perfectly with my stock radio in. However I just got a Sirius satellite radio for Christmas (the sirius sportster with home and car kit) When i hooked up the radio through the FM modulator it sounded really, and i mean Really, crappy. So my Kenwood deck is going back in so that I will be able to utilize the Aux input that my particular model has and will be hooking my Sirius radio to this aux input, which should be adequate for the digital quality of the satelitte music. So until I can figure out how to set it up so that my gauges work with the Kenwood cd deck i have, i will just have to deal with them being out for now. I will be posting pictures which will hopefully be of some help in the figuring out of this problem.

On another note, Ever since i got my sirius satelitte radio activated on Christmas Eve it has not gotten any rest. I really love the thing. I would strongly recommend it to anyone who likes radio like I do, even the talk, news and traffic channels are nasty!!! And oh yes, Howard Stern will on very very soon... But truthfully even if Howard wasnt going to sirius I would still be a sirius subscriber.